Oil in the intake, AP conventional rings? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Precision Turbo & Engine

Old 12-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #46
underpsi68
Spooled up

If you are in Finland definitely not the same shop lol. Posting on my phone I'm limited in what I can see.
The shop that built my engine was using a profilometer. After each build he said the hone was perfect. Interesting that a diamond stone is also questioned, as that is what they used to finish off the hone on a 3 step process.
underpsi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #47
underpsi68
Spooled up

Forgot to add a rich mixture could definitely wash the cylinders down and cause running seating issues. My a/f was 14:1 at idle, 14.7 cruise. I should not have been washing the cylinders down.
underpsi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #48
Ma Baker
Spooled up

Default Re: Oil in the intake, AP conventional rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbowtie View Post
Yes , too rich on start up can cause the rings not to seat .

Hell Fire will also have very specific honing procedures . The guy doing the honing will need to know exactly that .
I had a little hunch about it, that it may be the result of the rich cruising mixture. It was mostly 13-13.5 but every now and then I saw readings as low as 11.5. Didnīt have the knowledgde then to stop in time... Dammit! Well, at least Iīm pleased everything is otherwise fine in the engine.

Iīve heard several opinions about ap rings that they donīt seal well and Hellfire is the way to go. Canīt really blame those ap:s if it was my mistake, but Iīm willing to give a try to Hellfire this time. Itīs a forced induction engine (20-25psi) and thousand miles per year.

Thank you all.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #49
rick90lx
Smoked another BBC

I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out. Good luck!
Super Vic

Extreme automatics TH400
UCC converter
Holley Dominator EFI
rick90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #50
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Good Lord don't go backwards to Hellfire rings. I'm not sure if anyone has asked but how was the engine broken in and what oil or oils have been in the engine from break in until tear down?? I use the gapped and hapless AP rings almost exclusively and never had an issue.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
"Turning your potential into motion"
[email protected]
Dealer for: Haltech EFI, Billet Atomizer Injectors, ProTorque Converters

Coming Soon - 6000HP Mainline Pro Hub Dyno

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

"He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
-Compressions 11.5:1
TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Damn auto correct....... Have used gapped and gapless.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
[email protected]

Manifold EFI conversions, Fuel Hoop installation, Dry Deck Conversions, LS/LSX 1/2" Stud Conversions
Custom crimped AN hoses

Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #52
tempname
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prost63vette View Post
🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
I'm sorry. Was that some sort of code answer?
tempname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #53
TurboII
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

We can go as deep as y'all want to go on the subject of rings but I will guarantee there is nothing wrong with an AP ring package. We can cover barrel lapped rings vs conventional, coated rings vs conventional rings, vitrified stones vs diamond stones, number of cutting faces and its effect on trilobeing in the cylinder. Plateau finish and how it's done, profilometer and RK, RPK, RVK values. Not every shop has the equipment or knowledge to build these very high specific output engines and have them last. As I stated above, break-in is often very wrong, this includes running synthetic oil in the engine before the rings have properly sealed. Break-in with no load, lots of idle time, very rich/lean condition etc can all cause ring/blow-by issues. I had a customer that had another shop chassis dyno his car and the first pull they let it go to +16:1 A/F, they tuned the engine, and it made almost 800rwhp on a 5.7L with Si blower on pump gas. The car had oiling issues similar to the OP. Engine came back out and found that the +16:1 AF pull scuffed all 8 pistons. I fixed it and put another set of AP rings in it and it has run perfectly ever since. It has been at over 1000hp with a YSi blower on it at some half mile events still in the same C6 Corvette. If I were not there to see the bad dyno pull no telling what would have been speculated about the oiling issues.

KINETIC RACECRAFT
[email protected]

Custom crimped AN hoses

Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #54
prost63vette
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
We can go as deep as y'all want to go on the subject of rings but I will guarantee there is nothing wrong with an AP ring package. We can cover barrel lapped rings vs conventional, coated rings vs conventional rings, vitrified stones vs diamond stones, number of cutting faces and its effect on trilobeing in the cylinder. Plateau finish and how it's done, profilometer and RK, RPK, RVK values. Not every shop has the equipment or knowledge to build these very high specific output engines and have them last. As I stated above, break-in is often very wrong, this includes running synthetic oil in the engine before the rings have properly sealed. Break-in with no load, lots of idle time, very rich/lean condition etc can all cause ring/blow-by issues. I had a customer that had another shop chassis dyno his car and the first pull they let it go to +16:1 A/F, they tuned the engine, and it made almost 800rwhp on a 5.7L with Si blower on pump gas. The car had oiling issues similar to the OP. Engine came back out and found that the +16:1 AF pull scuffed all 8 pistons. I fixed it and put another set of AP rings in it and it has run perfectly ever since. It has been at over 1000hp with a YSi blower on it at some half mile events still in the same C6 Corvette. If I were not there to see the bad dyno pull no telling what would have been speculated about the oiling issues.
Lol go get em Brian school is in session pay attention folks
Old 12-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #55
51BINDER
Spooled up

Garage

AP conventional rings in mine with no issues. Freshening this winter after 3 years and 4000+ miles and hundreds of passes most above 24psi. If you’re getting that kind of oil through there something was done wrong most likely during break in. Have a buddy who has same issue on a mild turbo engine with standard moly rings. It was too rich when it was first ran on the dyno and instead of fixing the issue immediately he kept running it like that. It now huffs oil like mad. Doesn’t matter what rings you get if it is not treated correctly in the first few minutes and hrs of its life it won’t ever be happy.
51BINDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #56
Ma Baker
Spooled up

As I said, not going to blame ap rings. Obviously it was my mistake. Also the brake in procedure was not as good as it should. I didnīt push it hard at all for first 50 miles or so and no more than 10psi after that. Well, now I know how it should be done... Drove 150 miles and then we went to dyno and pushed it hard. I used 20w/50 mineral oil at first and changed them to Castrol Edge 10w/60 racing oil before dyno pulls. I Changed those tricky injectors before dyno, should have done it earlier.

But why not Hellfire rings? Itīs a Dart block. Lot of people uses them with good results, also here on the other side of the world.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #57
abbottracingheads
Smoked another BBC

Nobody has really mentioned the oil rings. Do not run low tension oil rings in your combo. Low oil ring tension can cause oiling problems regardless of the top ring seal. There is nothing wrong with the AP steel rings causing oil consumption. Regardless of any ring type the hone makes a lot difference. The hone needs to be right.
abbottracingheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #58
Ma Baker
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottracingheads View Post
Nobody has really mentioned the oil rings. Do not run low tension oil rings in your combo. Low oil ring tension can cause oiling problems regardless of the top ring seal. There is nothing wrong with the AP steel rings causing oil consumption. Regardless of any ring type the hone makes a lot difference. The hone needs to be right.
I had normal tension oil rings. It seems that the oil rings that comes with Hellfires are also normal tension.