Bought a used detroit locker... - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
rustang
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
rustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,393
Default Bought a used detroit locker...

And I'd like to tear it down and inspect it. Any tricks to tearing it down? Like springs flying across the room, parts that should be replaced, torque values, etc? Are parts available if anything needs replaced? This is for a ford 9". Not an aftermarket piece.
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
mike gerlach
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
mike gerlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In bunker
Posts: 2,540
Default Re: Bought a used detroit locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustang View Post
And I'd like to tear it down and inspect it. Any tricks to tearing it down? Like springs flying across the room, parts that should be replaced, torque values, etc? Are parts available if anything needs replaced? This is for a ford 9". Not an aftermarket piece.
Donít take this wrong...just trying to help...

Are you sure you want a Detroit locker? I had one years ago and absolutely hated it it. Was downright dangerous. Would stay unlocked and pull a lane change when you hammered the throttle. Always clanging and making noise. (From new).

All around a very poor experience.

That being said I donít think there is anything to wear out in there.
mike gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Eroc406
Junior Member
Burnout box
 
Eroc406's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 25
Default Re: Bought a used detroit locker...

There are springs inside that keep the dogs of the locker engaged . there are different spring rates I think the stock ones are around 65 LBS if my memory is right. you could put a piece of all thread through the axle bore and a plate on each side with nuts to hold it together while you remove the bolts that hold the left and right side together. once the bolts are removed you can start unscrewing the plates on the all thread to slowly decompress the springs. You could also set it up in a shop press and do it the same way. That is the way I usually do it. I have had several cars running them all on the street with 9" lockers. They do have there limits, but I have never had an issue with any of them . Hope this helps.
Eroc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
mrthinkshesfunny
Junior Member
Launchin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbia,Mo
Posts: 283
Default Re: Bought a used detroit locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroc406 View Post
There are springs inside that keep the dogs of the locker engaged . there are different spring rates I think the stock ones are around 65 LBS if my memory is right. you could put a piece of all thread through the axle bore and a plate on each side with nuts to hold it together while you remove the bolts that hold the left and right side together. once the bolts are removed you can start unscrewing the plates on the all thread to slowly decompress the springs. You could also set it up in a shop press and do it the same way. That is the way I usually do it. I have had several cars running them all on the street with 9" lockers. They do have there limits, but I have never had an issue with any of them . Hope this helps.
This is what I do also.

I'd like to add that an engineer at Eaton(owner of the Detroit Locker) gave me a tip to prevent the failure of a locker to be locked at the start of a pass. He said to never to roll back when approaching the staging beams. Keep moving forward before the pass. It keeps the dogs locked with all the play removed.I've had good luck doing that but then again I don't have 4 digit horsepower.

Last edited by mrthinkshesfunny; 07-15-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling
mrthinkshesfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
70ss540
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
70ss540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Suburban Detroit
Posts: 8,953
Default Re: Bought a used detroit locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthinkshesfunny View Post
This is what I do also.

I'd like to add that an engineer at Eaton(owner of the Detroit Locker) gave me a tip to prevent the failure of a locker to be locked at the start of a pass. He said to never to roll back when approaching the staging beams. Keep moving forward before the pass. It keeps the dogs locked with all the play removed.I've had good luck doing that but then again I don't have 4 digit horsepower.
I agree with this procedure^^^ for using one but, I would just stay away from Detroit Lockers on the track! Only good for off road use. I had one in my 78 Ford Bronco. Street driving was fukking dangerous with that thing. The locking and un-locking was crazy and un-predictable. No way would I use one on the track!
I even had EATON/Detroit Locker themselves install the second one and they checked my truck over completely. There was nothing wrong with the truck. As soon as I gave up on it and took it out, they truck was safe again.
70ss540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 0%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.