Bought a used detroit locker... - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
rustang
Smoked another BBC

Default Bought a used detroit locker...

And I'd like to tear it down and inspect it. Any tricks to tearing it down? Like springs flying across the room, parts that should be replaced, torque values, etc? Are parts available if anything needs replaced? This is for a ford 9". Not an aftermarket piece.
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
mike gerlach
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Bought a used detroit locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustang View Post
And I'd like to tear it down and inspect it. Any tricks to tearing it down? Like springs flying across the room, parts that should be replaced, torque values, etc? Are parts available if anything needs replaced? This is for a ford 9". Not an aftermarket piece.
Donít take this wrong...just trying to help...

Are you sure you want a Detroit locker? I had one years ago and absolutely hated it it. Was downright dangerous. Would stay unlocked and pull a lane change when you hammered the throttle. Always clanging and making noise. (From new).

All around a very poor experience.

That being said I donít think there is anything to wear out in there.
mike gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Eroc406
Burnout box

There are springs inside that keep the dogs of the locker engaged . there are different spring rates I think the stock ones are around 65 LBS if my memory is right. you could put a piece of all thread through the axle bore and a plate on each side with nuts to hold it together while you remove the bolts that hold the left and right side together. once the bolts are removed you can start unscrewing the plates on the all thread to slowly decompress the springs. You could also set it up in a shop press and do it the same way. That is the way I usually do it. I have had several cars running them all on the street with 9" lockers. They do have there limits, but I have never had an issue with any of them . Hope this helps.
Eroc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
mrthinkshesfunny
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroc406 View Post
There are springs inside that keep the dogs of the locker engaged . there are different spring rates I think the stock ones are around 65 LBS if my memory is right. you could put a piece of all thread through the axle bore and a plate on each side with nuts to hold it together while you remove the bolts that hold the left and right side together. once the bolts are removed you can start unscrewing the plates on the all thread to slowly decompress the springs. You could also set it up in a shop press and do it the same way. That is the way I usually do it. I have had several cars running them all on the street with 9" lockers. They do have there limits, but I have never had an issue with any of them . Hope this helps.
This is what I do also.

I'd like to add that an engineer at Eaton(owner of the Detroit Locker) gave me a tip to prevent the failure of a locker to be locked at the start of a pass. He said to never to roll back when approaching the staging beams. Keep moving forward before the pass. It keeps the dogs locked with all the play removed.I've had good luck doing that but then again I don't have 4 digit horsepower.

Last edited by mrthinkshesfunny; 07-15-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling
mrthinkshesfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthinkshesfunny View Post
This is what I do also.

I'd like to add that an engineer at Eaton(owner of the Detroit Locker) gave me a tip to prevent the failure of a locker to be locked at the start of a pass. He said to never to roll back when approaching the staging beams. Keep moving forward before the pass. It keeps the dogs locked with all the play removed.I've had good luck doing that but then again I don't have 4 digit horsepower.
I agree with this procedure^^^ for using one but, I would just stay away from Detroit Lockers on the track! Only good for off road use. I had one in my 78 Ford Bronco. Street driving was fukking dangerous with that thing. The locking and un-locking was crazy and un-predictable. No way would I use one on the track!
I even had EATON/Detroit Locker themselves install the second one and they checked my truck over completely. There was nothing wrong with the truck. As soon as I gave up on it and took it out, they truck was safe again.
70ss540 is offline   Reply With Quote