Frustration with poor engine assembly - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 06-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
TheNovaMan
Smoked Another SBC

Default Frustration with poor engine assembly

My best friend and I have been working on a 428FE from a Superformance Shelby Cobra replica in our spare time lately. The current owner is the second owner, but he has lots of documents from the first owner. The engine was built by a professional in late 2000 and then fixed by a professional in early 2001. I don't believe it ever ran right. The engine has a lot of nice parts in it, but I was astonished at the fucked up shit and lack of attention to detail. It seemed like every time we touched it or looked at it, we found something else that wasn't right. I know there are several machinists and engine builders on here; is this what it's like for you every day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
I know you're the Cragar king
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.
TheNovaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
dfarr67
Launchin

Default Re: Frustration with poor engine assembly

As a customer- doesn't seem to matter the $$ paid or my research on the business that might do the work- I seem to get screwed on a regular basis when I don't do the work myself.
dfarr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
gtxdana
Launchin

The one and only time I ever bought a motor already built by a "professional shop" failed in less than 200 miles.
gtxdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
Srs_Chris
Spooled up

There are some SUPER smart people that run very reputable shops that produce excellent engines. There are also people that run shops with multiple employees that turn work around as quickly as possible so that they can maximize profit. Sadly, this can lead to corners being cut and a less than optimal products leaving the shop. I run a shop. I know what my overhead costs are per hour. Building a performance engine properly is VERY time consuming and expensive (those overhead hours add up). Some people just don't want to put in the extra attention to detail because it will adversely effect their bottom line. Or they hire and trust staff that are not experienced enough to catch the small things that make a big difference in a performance engine build. This might be what you are seeing in your FE engine. That's my $0.02 anyhow.
www.simpsonracingsolutions.com
Srs_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
RCM Racing engines
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
My best friend and I have been working on a 428FE from a Superformance Shelby Cobra replica in our spare time lately. The current owner is the second owner, but he has lots of documents from the first owner. The engine was built by a professional in late 2000 and then fixed by a professional in early 2001. I don't believe it ever ran right. The engine has a lot of nice parts in it, but I was astonished at the fucked up shit and lack of attention to detail. It seemed like every time we touched it or looked at it, we found something else that wasn't right. I know there are several machinists and engine builders on here; is this what it's like for you every day?
YEP............ Every Frickin' engine I take apart from another builder .
It makes me sick.....
I clearly don't charge enough for what I Produce.
Just recently took a 565 BBC pimp gas engine apart from another builder that has 200 Miles on it, Smokes like a Bitch....
I am amazed at the shit work..... and this guy payed 16K for this thing... Hell the Broke a dowel pin tab off the oil pump by beating it on with a hammer.....

Just an old' Mennonite..........
RCM Racing engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
dfarr67
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM Racing engines View Post
It makes me sick.....
Just recently took a 565 BBC pimp gas engine apart from another builder that has 200 Miles on it, Smokes like a Bitch....
I am amazed at the shit work..... and this guy payed 16K for this thing... Hell the Broke a dowel pin tab off the oil pump by beating it on with a hammer.....
As in ignorant and that's the way to build or don't give a f**k?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Rapidray
Smoked another BBC

I see bad shit all the time from so called experts and professional shops. Titles are really useless as it's the knowledge, workmanship, quality and care for what they turn out not really anything to do what some unknowledgable people give them for titles.

One of the first things that really tells you a lot about the builder is his track record and the detail and completeness of his "build Sheets"! A lot of people buying engines don't even know what a build sheet is! If you are having an expensive performance or competition engine built by a "professional" you should always ask for and expect a build sheet. If they do not know what one is or say they don't do build sheets, then grab your wallet and parts and exit the place quickly!
Rapidray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
RCM Racing engines
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
Quote:
It makes me sick.....
I am amazed at the shit work..... and this guy payed 16K for this thing... Hell the Broke a dowel pin tab off the oil pump by beating it on with a hammer.....[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eyes.gif[/IMG]
As in ignorant and that's the way to build or don't give a f**k?
????
I am saying there is such a shit ton of Hacks in this profession.
So called big name guys putting shit out the door cause I assume they think the customer won't know as that's why they came to them....

I build every damn engine as if it's my own, I take way to long and way to anal to make good money at it.....

I need to charge more ...

Or start beating oil pumps on....lol

Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #9
dakster1a
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxdana View Post
The one and only time I ever bought a motor already built by a "professional shop" failed in less than 200 miles.
Me too. I paid $24,000 for 60 passes. Ruined all kinds of shit. I had to fix the fucker myself. I should have just built it the first time, but I wanted a “professional” to do it. That worked out well.
dakster1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
BLUEOVALRACER
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
It makes me sick.....
Where do you buy Pimp Gas from sorry I had too!!
BLUEOVALRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
RCM Racing engines
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEOVALRACER View Post
Quote:
It makes me sick.....
I am amazed at the shit work..... and this guy payed 16K for this thing... Hell the Broke a dowel pin tab off the oil pump by beating it on with a hammer.....[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eyes.gif[/IMG]
Where do you buy Pimp Gas from sorry I had too!![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif[/IMG]
At a pimp store in a little town called Bird in hand....
It's well known in my area.... LOL

Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
dfarr67
Launchin

Quote:
????
I am saying there is such a shit ton of Hacks in this profession.
So called big name guys putting shit out the door cause I assume they think the customer won't know as that's why they came to them....

I build every damn engine as if it's my own, I take way to long and way to anal to make good money at it.....

I need to charge more ...

Or start beating oil pumps on....lol
I know you are going to see all kinds of customers and venders. What I meant was, was the build quality business as usual or more slanted towards fraud. I take your comment as intentionally delivering a substandard product not up to the customers expectations- to pad the profit margin. How do these guys stay in business. If you feel you don't charge enough- that's OK if the customer (me) still feels I'm getting value for the outlay. Very tired of being disappointed.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
TheNovaMan
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srs_Chris View Post
Some people just don't want to put in the extra attention to detail because it will adversely effect their bottom line. Or they hire and trust staff that are not experienced enough to catch the small things that make a big difference in a performance engine build. This might be what you are seeing in your FE engine. That's my $0.02 anyhow.
In this particular case, a lot of the stuff is just absolutely stupid. For example, the Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing set didn't have the adjuster bushing in it. That may actually have been a good thing because the intake valves on the back two cylinders hit the pistons because they were swapped side for side so the exhaust and intake valve reliefs were in the wrong locations.

For those of you who fix poorly assembled engines, do you give the customer a list of all the things you found that were wrong with the previous build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
I know you're the Cragar king
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.
TheNovaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #14
BLUEOVALRACER
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
At a pimp store in a little town called Bird in hand....
It's well known in my area.... LOL
Thanks what octane rating is it?
BLUEOVALRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Warp Speed
Smoked Another SBC

It happens at all levels. I just took apart an engine from one of the top builders in the country (especially when it comes to the internet crowd). Nothing was wrong really, just not what I expected at all when it came to attention to detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun40119 View Post
My name isn't Jake........and I don't have a red chevelle. I am a keyboard junkie, in my mom's basement, with no pants on.
Warp Speed is online now   Reply With Quote