Possible glide issue - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Reneau1320
Junior Member
Spooled up
 
Reneau1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 240
Default Possible glide issue

I'm running a 1980 Camaro, 496, glide. First time out ran 6.38 in the 1/8. Had an issue of blowing trans fluid out of the rear seal.
Trying to run for points this year so got a new glide from jegs till I have time to rebuild mine.
Today ran horrible times on the 7.50 range! Track started said it sounded like I was launching in high gear. Shifter linkage is correct, t brake engaged properly. Any ideas? I've got down time so I'll rebuild my glide and try to find the issue with it.
Reneau1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
autotransdesign
Member
Pullin gears
 
autotransdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 906
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Swap tail housings from the Jegs trans to the one that ran 6.30s. Easy peasy
__________________
Automatic Transmission Design, Inc.
www.autotransdesign.com
autotransdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
Cynic
Too Strong, For Too Long.
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 26,314
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneau1320 View Post
I'm running a 1980 Camaro, 496, glide. First time out ran 6.38 in the 1/8. Had an issue of blowing trans fluid out of the rear seal.
Trying to run for points this year so got a new glide from jegs till I have time to rebuild mine.
Today ran horrible times on the 7.50 range! Track started said it sounded like I was launching in high gear. Shifter linkage is correct, t brake engaged properly. Any ideas? I've got down time so I'll rebuild my glide and try to find the issue with it.
New trans sounds like it spun the stator tube.

First thing I'd check on the old trans is make sure the drain isn't covered. Pull the tailhousing and stick a pick or small screwdriver to see if it reaches the floor of the pan. Maybe somehow you have a valvebody designed for a dragster and the separator plate is covering the drain.


Last edited by Cynic; 07-15-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Reneau1320
Junior Member
Spooled up
 
Reneau1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 240
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Good idea!
Thanks!
Reneau1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Reneau1320
Junior Member
Spooled up
 
Reneau1320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 240
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
New trans sounds like it spun the stator tube.

First thing I'd check on the old trans is make sure the drain isn't covered. Pull the tailhousing and stick a pick or small screwdriver to see if it reaches the floor of the pan. Maybe somehow you have a valvebody designed for a dragster and the separator plate is covering the drain.

I'll definitely check the drain. Had no idea that a valvebody can be designed for a dragster. Sure wasn't asked about it when I ordered it.
Thanks!
Reneau1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Detroit Gearbox
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
Detroit Gearbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Warren Michigan
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Sometimes the combination of a aftermarket valve body & aftermarket pan blocks off the rear of the case & traps fluid in the tail housing.... some separator plates are larger and some pans are wider at the pan edge causing the problem.
__________________
Detroit Gearbox 586-777-4444
21279 Groesbeck Highway, Warren Michigan 48089
Detroit Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Cynic
Too Strong, For Too Long.
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 26,314
Default Re: Possible glide issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
Sometimes the combination of a aftermarket valve body & aftermarket pan blocks off the rear of the case & traps fluid in the tail housing.... some separator plates are larger and some pans are wider at the pan edge causing the problem.
True.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 0%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.