48RE Parking Pawl - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 07-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
4and1
Pullin gears

Default 48RE Parking Pawl

I have a '05 Cummins 4wd, little over 100K on it. Got home from a short trip pulling my RV, pulled in the driveway and put it in park to close a gate behind me, and it started to roll. I waited for the pawl to engage but it kept rolling. And checking it afterwards, it won't get the pawl to lock up at all. Is there a known issue with these? I'll check to see if the linkage is moving it's full stroke, but after that, any ideas?
4and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
autotransdesign
Pullin gears

Default Re: 48RE Parking Pawl

There are known issues with the park rod. Long way in
Old 07-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Timbers68
Pullin gears

Rooster comb could be loose not allowing it to lock into park. Also detent ball hole oblonged. Both common problems.
Timbers68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
4and1
Pullin gears

Well I got in the habit of just setting the parking brake, but I decided I need to look into this. I read a lot about the shift cable worn or out of adjustment, so I eliminated that possibility by jacking the ass end and popping the cable off the trans, and moving the lever from low to park with my hand. The pawl still would not engage, but when I rotate the tires in the forward direction, I can hear the pawl clicking but it just won't engage. I dropped the pan, and the rod just doesn't look like it has much throw to it when moving the shift lever by hand, as I did above. It looks like I would have to drop the valve body to get to the rod. If I do this, what are the chances I can find the problem then?

To me, I really don't care much about having to set the parking brake, but I don't think it will pass inspection with park not engaging.
4and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Timbers68
Pullin gears

Yes, pulling the VB should reveal the problem.
If not then it will be in the OD section which you may be able to see with the VB out of the way.

Last edited by Timbers68; 11-19-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
Timbers68
Pullin gears

If you decide to pull the VB here's a tip. Make sure to disconnect the electrical connector on the drivers side of the trans before you start pulling bolts out. The plastic connector that sticks up through the case is attached to the VB. This connector is part of the elect. harness and breaks easily. Make sure you apply light downward pressure to the connector as you lower the VB or it will break. Connector has two blue o-rings on it. Google 48RE internal harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
toddmod
Burnout box

Another possibility is the od brake snapring has broken obstructing rod movement(pan drop, look for pieces on magnet) also check movement of the valve body shift lever by hand with shift cable removed. if to much forward and backward movement noticed make sure the lever is tightened on the valve body shaft, if tight but too much movement, suspect worn main valve body detent ball in vb. You can remove the output speed sensor and see your park rod /pawl engagement with a borescope if you have access to one. good way to check for good engagement
toddmod is offline   Reply With Quote