Milodon Oil Pump Mis-Aligned - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 08-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
Shah Mat
Spooled up

Default Re: Milodon Oil Pump Mis-Aligned

[QUOTE=boostedbowtie;71288033]Funny on Milodons web site it says (Melling M55HV) next to the part number for the Milodon pump , I guess saying its the same pump .

[IMG]milodon by David Cedoz, on Flickr[/IMG][/QUOT

Don't trust that web site. Look at the 3/4" and the 5/8" pick up, same part #. To make sure what I was getting, I had to look on Summit's web and check the each parts description.
Shah Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #17
Shah Mat
Spooled up

I am done with Milodon products.

Quote from Milodon web site:

Philosophy
Milodon's objective has been to incorporate state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, aerospace caliber materials and stringent quality controls to produce true American-made, race quality performance products of exceptional value. We all know that..... you can buy many brands cheaper than Milodon, but you can't any better.

With a statement like that you would think someone would like to resolve my problem. I called tech support at Milodon again last night. Like the first call, the guy didn't seem to give a crap about my problem and this time he basically told me to pound sand and buy a Melling pump.

I am ordering a Melling billet pump #10050ST-750SS. I checked my pan last night (because I don't trust the product description on Milodon's web page) and it does in fact measure 7 1/2"
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #18
Shah Mat
Spooled up

I should have done a little research. Tech support assured me their parts are make in the US.
Scroll to post #30

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=1840601

Last edited by Shah Mat; 08-15-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #19
RJAZE
Smoked Another SBC

Got tired of cast (insert whatever brand you want) junk and bought a Titan.

100% made in America using only US sourced steel and aluminum.
RJAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
Coloradoracer
Smoked another BBC

For those of you who aren't aware yet, it's MELLING, not MELLINGS! Drives me crazy!!!
www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Coloradoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
Cock Guzzler
Too Strong, For Too Long.
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah Mat View Post
I am done with Milodon products.

Quote from Milodon web site:

Philosophy
Milodon's objective has been to incorporate state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, aerospace caliber materials and stringent quality controls to produce true American-made, race quality performance products of exceptional value. We all know that..... you can buy many brands cheaper than Milodon, but you can't any better.

With a statement like that you would think someone would like to resolve my problem. I called tech support at Milodon again last night. Like the first call, the guy didn't seem to give a crap about my problem and this time he basically told me to pound sand and buy a Melling pump.

I am ordering a Melling billet pump #10050ST-750SS. I checked my pan last night (because I don't trust the product description on Milodon's web page) and it does in fact measure 7 1/2"

Before you do that order one of these pans if you can find one. Get the matching Melling Billet standard volume high pressure sharks tooth pump. This is a 5 quart pan, makes the best power of all the over the counter pans on the market. I'm fairly certain they're still made in USA.

Last edited by Cock Guzzler; 08-15-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Cock Guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #22
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

[quote=Shah Mat;71290253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbowtie View Post
Funny on Milodons web site it says (Melling M55HV) next to the part number for the Milodon pump , I guess saying its the same pump .

[IMG]milodon by David Cedoz, on Flickr[/IMG][/QUOT

Don't trust that web site. Look at the 3/4" and the 5/8" pick up, same part #. To make sure what I was getting, I had to look on Summit's web and check the each parts description.
Looks like they just misprinted the number . The first one should have been 18215 instead of 18315.

But they are clearly saying the M55 will work ???
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #23
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

I went with a Champ pan this time around .
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #24
Shah Mat
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Before you do that order one of these pans if you can find one. Get the matching Melling Billet standard volume high pressure sharks tooth pump. This is a 5 quart pan, makes the best power of all the over the counter pans on the market. I'm fairly certain they're still made in USA.

I already have a good new pan... Milodon full sump with kickout. That is what started this whole thing.

I went from linkage to rack so I took out the factory GM crossmember and configured it for my new full sump. My old Milodon rear sump w/ kickout pan was good to me for years and even took a pavement beating from a wheelstand event. I pounded it out with a 2x4 using a sledge hammer then body hammer and dolly. It was ugly, but structurally sound and used it for a couple more years. The full sump pan is about an inch shorter than my previous rear sump giving me slightly more clearance to the ground.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #25
novafornow
Smoked another BBC

Have not owned a full sump that did not lose pressure at shut down. Beware!
novafornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #26
Shah Mat
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafornow View Post
Have not owned a full sump that did not lose pressure at shut down. Beware!
Yeah, I heard that after the fact. I'm going the give it a try and see what happens. Might have to go back to my Frankenstein pan. At least I have the pump that works for it. lol Also, with the clearance for a full sump, a rear sump will practically fall off with the motor in the car.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #27
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

Hamburger and B&B used to make full sump pans. I had a couple on 468/496 engines. Just don't look at the pressure gauge until you get on the return road. LOL. Never hurt anything.
bigblockmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #28
B Williams
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Unfortunate to see Milodon farm parts out overseas. It even says now that some parts are cast overseas on their website.

I liked their pumps..... back in early 2000s when Melling went cheap and M55s were breaking off at the neck and using PM gears, Milodon still had heavy duty castings and billet gears. Now they are building bullshit and you have to spend $100+ for a simple as hell cast iron SBC oil pump.

I just used a 18755 sbc pump and Champ Pan on an LT1 in a 94 Corvette build.... fit perfectly but the guy collected parts for years before he had $$$$ to finish the build and his pump was bought back in 2011. Guess that will be my last one and last time I recommend Milodon....
Will
MPC Real Street #1984
B Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #29
Farthole
Spooled up

DO NOT RUN A wet sump FULL SUMP PAN. You will pay for it. I have seen it a ton of times. There a tech article on rehear Morison web page all about it.

Last edited by Farthole; 08-15-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Farthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #30
68camaroturbo
Satans Daddy
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

I run a step sump 12q Dan Olson pan with full windage tray,Moroso billet pump and a accusump.
Pan looks like a full sump, except for the 2" sump in the rear.
Had people tell me it would act like a full sump w/12 qts and 2 inch sump. Only problem I have had were thrust main wear.

A wise manís heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish manís heart directs him toward the left.
68camaroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote