Updated 5.0 vs EB preference survey at the Ford dealer - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 11-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #31
Bigtruckdrivah
FHRITP
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Updated 5.0 vs EB preference survey at the Ford dealer

I just had a 5.0 loaner while my 6.7 PS was in the dealer for recalls. It was really boring to drive, you gotta stomp it to make it haul ass where the EB you can just roll into the throttle and it begins pulling. I guess I prefer that in a daily driver over the old N/A stuff
Bigtruckdrivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #32
BLUEOVALRACER
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikbbstang View Post
I drive my vehicles till the wheels fall-off and yeah the modern electro-gizmo'd vehicles are going to be a fucking nightmare 10-20 years down the road.

Just an observation:

Mechanic #2 'Frank' says at the conclusion of his talk: " the 5.0 has been around forever..".

Isn't that in name only?...................Coyote's in trucks are how long?
5.0 Coyote production in the F-150 started in 2011!!
BLUEOVALRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:35 AM   #33
BLUEOVALRACER
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruckdrivah View Post
Towing with a 1/2 ton

Iíve had both, I prefer the EB 2.7 or 3.5. Both served me well for intended use. The 5.0 drank gas bad. I donít have a light foot, I never could get better than 14-16 out of the 5.0. The 2.7 was awesome 20 in town all the time, 80% where it was driven. I donít know why people are so hell bent on trashing the EB? If your tryin to tow a fkng trailer buy a 3/4 ton truck
FACT!!Put a S/C on a 5.0 different story but stock vs stock or both with a Tune the EB wins sorry guys!!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #34
qikbbstang
Smoked Another SBC

Here we go again, folks that sell their importance by abbreviating. Dam BLUEOVALRACER your stating put a S/C (super charger?) on sounds as simple and cheap as changing to different wheels & tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEOVALRACER View Post
FACT!!Put a S/C on a 5.0 different story but stock vs stock or both with a Tune the EB wins sorry guys!!

Originally Posted by Bigtruckdrivah
Towing with a 1/2 ton

Iíve had both, I prefer the EB 2.7 or 3.5. Both served me well for intended use. The 5.0 drank gas bad. I donít have a light foot, I never could get better than 14-16 out of the 5.0. The 2.7 was awesome 20 in town all the time, 80% where it was driven. I donít know why people are so hell bent on trashing the EB? If your tryin to tow a fkng trailer buy a 3/4 ton truck
qikbbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #35
EcoBoostDave
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSTOCK View Post
I've towed cars with both too, no considerable difference. It's a mental thing. They have extremely similar towing characteristics.
This is so far from the truth. The EcoBoost makes its max torque at 2k rpms, the 5.0 makes its max torque at what 4,500 rpms? Plus the Eco's make 30+ pound feet more torque than the 5.0. I wouldn't own another EcoBoost if it were given to me but it is a towing machine.
EcoBoostDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #36
TheRevII
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmp40 View Post
No. There is a difference that is noticeable.

I don't know how it could NOT be noticeable, seeing as the 3.5 Eco has a 70 lb/ft torque advantage - and at nearly 2000 lower RPM. For what it's worth, I've towed with both several times...normally a 2000# car hauler trailer with 4-5000# sitting on it - and while both engines do the job, the EB is a lot more comfortable with it. The 5.0 needs at least one, and often two, lower gears and lives in the 4000-4500rpm zone. That being said I like the sound and feel of the V8 a lot better - and it's what I'd buy if my towing were limited to under 5K and the truck spent most of the time driving around town unloaded.

But there's a real easy means for me to resolve the issue - jump in the F250 6.7 diesel I have in the garage. No sense in sending a boy to do....you know the rest.

Last edited by TheRevII; 11-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
TheRevII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #37
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Everyone that I've known that had both, preferred the 5.0.

All of their biggest problem with the EB was off-idle power, which makes a big difference when pulling a boat out of the water. Once underway, nobody really had a preference either way.

If I were worried about fuel mileage, I wouldn't be driving a raised 4WD truck with 10 ply A/Ts on it.
juiced coupe 78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #38
Harley David's Son
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fords Forever View Post
I only have 309,000 miles on my 2011 5.0 4X4 engine still runs great gets respectable mileage average of 19 for the last 11,00 miles with lots of idling and driving at idle all day at Hershey swap meet and Charlotte . I wouldn't want an ecoboost instead ever .
Same here

Mine only has 202K miles and gets 19.6 mpg ( hand calculated...display says 20.5 )

It's weighed down with 4wd and is an x-cab with 3.73 gears.

It took me 2 years to find this truck that was in my price range with the features I wanted and not be a " all beat up contractors " truck

Last edited by Harley David's Son; 11-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Harley David's Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #39
KevMc
Burnout box

2014 XLT 2WD with the 5.0. I'm pushing 140K with no issues.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #40
BLUEOVALRACER
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikbbstang View Post
Here we go again, folks that sell their importance by abbreviating. Dam BLUEOVALRACER your stating put a S/C (super charger?) on sounds as simple and cheap as changing to different wheels & tires.

Originally Posted by Bigtruckdrivah
Towing with a 1/2 ton

I’ve had both, I prefer the EB 2.7 or 3.5. Both served me well for intended use. The 5.0 drank gas bad. I don’t have a light foot, I never could get better than 14-16 out of the 5.0. The 2.7 was awesome 20 in town all the time, 80% where it was driven. I don’t know why people are so hell bent on trashing the EB? If your tryin to tow a fkng trailer buy a 3/4 ton truck
You took it that way don't put words in my mouth!!My point was that's the only way a 5.0 would win in a towing contest with the 3.5 EB and had nothing to do with cost or difficulty of adding a S/C to the 5.0 sorry you can't keep up!!

Last edited by BLUEOVALRACER; 11-19-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 AM   #41
GLHS60
Smoked another BBC

I'm hoping Ford will stop jacking around, strengthen their V8's architecture and Turbocharge it!!!

Who wouldn't want turbocharged V8 for crying out loud.??

Audi, BMW, Mercedes and more manufactures do, why not Ford??

Chrysler and GM Supercharge their V8's in some cases, can't Ford please take the lead.

We need a domestic Turbocharged V8 for pickups and Mustangs.

Chrysler and GM drooped the V8 Turbo ball, please Ford run with it!!!
GLHS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 AM   #42
wbt2012
Smoked another BBC

My 2017 2.7 F150 was a fantastic truck. Towed a 24' enclosed trailer, 8K lbs. total, 290 miles and got 10MPG. That was 60-70MPH the whole way with some stop and go.

0 issues and like others have said, unloaded it would get 20MPG. I would rate it over the 2014 Tremor I had with the 3.5.

I own a 2019 F250 PS now which is also another fantastic truck. People are talking about the 6.7 gas motor like it will do anything in this thread. No thanks...especially in a 3/4 ton heavy truck...it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Hearken back the 5.4 3/4 ton turd days. PS is the ONLY way to go and if you believe otherwise you are a fool.

Why did I switch? I wanted a 4x4 with every towing option I could get so if the time ever came to tow anything, anywhere, there would be 0 concern. It didn't hurt I got one Hell of a deal on the F250 I couldn't pass up either.

...more winning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6Eb7-p_YA
wbt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #43
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevII View Post
I don't know how it could NOT be noticeable, seeing as the 3.5 Eco has a 70 lb/ft torque advantage - and at nearly 2000 lower RPM. For what it's worth, I've towed with both several times...normally a 2000# car hauler trailer with 4-5000# sitting on it - and while both engines do the job, the EB is a lot more comfortable with it. The 5.0 needs at least one, and often two, lower gears and lives in the 4000-4500rpm zone.
This is my experience. I really like the EB for towing my boats, toys and cars.
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #44
Harley David's Son
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt2012 View Post
My 2017 2.7 F150 was a fantastic truck. Towed a 24' enclosed trailer, 8K lbs. total, 290 miles and got 10MPG. That was 60-70MPH the whole way with some stop and go.

0 issues and like others have said, unloaded it would get 20MPG. I would rate it over the 2014 Tremor I had with the 3.5.

I own a 2019 F250 PS now which is also another fantastic truck. People are talking about the 6.7 gas motor like it will do anything in this thread. No thanks...especially in a 3/4 ton heavy truck...it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Hearken back the 5.4 3/4 ton turd days. PS is the ONLY way to go and if you believe otherwise you are a fool.

Why did I switch? I wanted a 4x4 with every towing option I could get so if the time ever came to tow anything, anywhere, there would be 0 concern. It didn't hurt I got one Hell of a deal on the F250 I couldn't pass up either.
Who makes a 6.7 gasser ?
Harley David's Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #45
ITSTOCK
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley David's Son View Post
Who makes a 6.7 gasser ?
Maybe he's talking about 6.2, either way, he's clueless. My 6.2's tow incredibly well.
ITSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote