School me on being a car salesman - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 11-19-2019, 12:46 AM   #46
Duster340_
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: School me on being a car salesman

Toyotas are good cars but they don't have deals like GM, Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler etc. They have higher rates and little to no discounts so use your car knowledge to tell them, yes its a little more expensive but it'll actually last. Most are already aware of that. Rav4's sell themselves and those will be your bread and butter, corollas sell but that segment is dying. New 2020 highlander is around the corner, another self-seller.

Try to sell them for full pop to make a living, giving cars away is just min wage.

There is a shortage of service advisors - if you'd rather do that job instead

Last edited by Duster340_; 11-19-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Duster340_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #47
rick90lx
Smoked another BBC

Step 1. Throw your ethics out the window.
Super Vic

Extreme automatics TH400
UCC converter
Holley Dominator EFI
rick90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #48
lumen8
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage1986.5 View Post
So Iím on the job hunt and I have been filling out applications online and the local Toyota dealer called me up and wanted to give me a job as a salesman I have never done this before give me the rundown
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:28 AM   #49
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Heavy smoking and lots of coffee are mandatory.
cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 AM   #50
cluxford
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMAMF5 View Post
Never sold cars for a living, LOL.
Correct I have not. But selling is selling. I started as an outbound call centre sales person. Hardest sale in the world when you are missing 55% of communication 9ie body language). If you can sell over the phone - outbound calling when the potential buyer doesn't want your product is super hard. Way harder than selling to a potential car buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badss540 View Post
And JUST IN CASE the test drive goes bad WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR!!
Ha ha, in any sales role, I've seen my fair share go sideways really fast and turn ugly.
cluxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #51
TheRevII
Smoked Another SBC

OP, see if you can hire on as a used car salesman at that Toyota store. Probably not, but it's the only way you'll ever make more money than you can by drawing unemployment. There's no money in new cars; too competitive and the dealers typically hire about 3X more salespeople than they actually need, assuring that everyone but the old-timers with extensive customer bases starve to death.

Myself, I did it for 6 years, starved, but learned enough to open my own business in 1979. 40 years later I'm still at it...I didn't get rich but I've made a decent living, enough to provide nicely for my family. Kept my reputation intact all that time by practicing two things - 1, employ the Golden Rule always, and 2, never forget that women are an equal part of any car deal that involves one. They deserve acknowledgement and respect; make sure you give it to them. Never had a bad review, never been sued, always hear things like "I'd buy a car from that guy". We're not all crooks.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #52
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
Smoked Another SBC

BE YOURSELF...LIKE ANYTHING ELSE...YOU CAN GET GOOD WITH TIME...UNFORTUNATELY IF YOU NEED A CHECK EACH PAY PERIOD...YOU BETTER HUSTLE...ITS ABOUT FACE TIME....AND APPEARANCE...SMELL GOOD...AMD KEEP THAT BREATH IN CHECK....MOST PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY WANT BEFORE THEY GET THERE...SO JUST ASSIST THEM..WITH THE PURCHASE...INSTEAD OF FEELING LIKE YOU NEED TO FORCE A SELL

79540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #53
carolinagirl
Mother Hen
Smoked Another SBC

I spent exactly two weeks selling new cars. I told them going in that I wanted some good training, but the second day of training they pulled me from the bunch and put me on the floor to take an up. I sold the car, so they wouldn't let me go back to training with the others. A few days later, I sold a truck, after it died on us on the test drive and we had to have a mechanic come fix it. I still sold that exact truck, yet they didnt want to pay me commission on either sale, because I was still officially "in training". That shit didn't fly and I quit.

I am good at sales, but I don't like selling products for other people. I enjoy selling my own items now and can run my business honestly and exactly the way I want to. If I don't think a product is what the customer is really looking for, I tell them so. If a piece of jewelry doesn't suit them, I will tell them that, too. I believe in building a relationship with my customers and my business thrives on repeat business. My customers have to trust me and you cannot fake honesty or interest without them figuring it out. So don't lie and don't cheat. Be sincere, or your customers will know you aren't.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #54
Darrthunder340
Smoked another BBC

There really is some good advice in here. I like Carilinagirl’s perspective. While I’m not in car sales, I still have to go out and convince my clients that our service is better than a competitor for my business. Being genuine and authentic has been a huge benefit, so your personality has a lot to do with it. Be positive. Two authors that have helped me are Robert Cialdini (sp?) and Jeffery Gitomer. Cialdini wrote Influence and Pre-suasion and they have been very interesting reads. Gitomer’s Little Red Book Of Selling has a ton of very helpful information as well and his other books are good to look into also. One other thing... listen. Listen to your clients and provide an avenue to give them what they need and want. Good luck.
Darrthunder340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #55
kik_start
Smoked another BBC

kik_start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #56
qikbbstang
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: School me on being a car salesman.

Ultimate Salesman's Movie:
Truth can not be any funnier

(Vintage1986.5 wants to be a Car Salesman)

qikbbstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #57
qikbbstang
Smoked Another SBC

I met a guy who moved to Jax from Detroit where he sold Porsches just to sell Porsches in Jax. He was the #1 Salesman at Brumos Porsche supposedly selling over 20/month. The guy was a workaholic putting in 80+ week. Had a magnificent vintage BOSS 302. Then he just vanished from town. To sell that number of Porsches $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by qikbbstang; 11-19-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #58
B.A.Carty
Smoked Another SBC

Locally, You can kiss goodbye every Thursday and Friday night. Every Saturday and the majority of the holidays(4th, memorial day, labor, black Friday).
B.A.Carty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #59
qikbbstang
Smoked Another SBC

Short sighted company. #1 way to motivate sales-persons. Sell something and get handed the commi$$ion, watch them run to go sell something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
I spent exactly two weeks selling new cars. I told them going in that I wanted some good training, but the second day of training they pulled me from the bunch and put me on the floor to take an up. I sold the car, so they wouldn't let me go back to training with the others. A few days later, I sold a truck, after it died on us on the test drive and we had to have a mechanic come fix it. I still sold that exact truck, yet they didnt want to pay me commission on either sale, because I was still officially "in training". That shit didn't fly and I quit.

I am good at sales, but I don't like selling products for other people. I enjoy selling my own items now and can run my business honestly and exactly the way I want to. If I don't think a product is what the customer is really looking for, I tell them so. If a piece of jewelry doesn't suit them, I will tell them that, too. I believe in building a relationship with my customers and my business thrives on repeat business. My customers have to trust me and you cannot fake honesty or interest without them figuring it out. So don't lie and don't cheat. Be sincere, or your customers will know you aren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #60
gtxdana
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevII View Post
OP, see if you can hire on as a used car salesman at that Toyota store. Probably not, but it's the only way you'll ever make more money than you can by drawing unemployment. There's no money in new cars; too competitive and the dealers typically hire about 3X more salespeople than they actually need, assuring that everyone but the old-timers with extensive customer bases starve to death.

Myself, I did it for 6 years, starved, but learned enough to open my own business in 1979. 40 years later I'm still at it...I didn't get rich but I've made a decent living, enough to provide nicely for my family. Kept my reputation intact all that time by practicing two things - 1, employ the Golden Rule always, and 2, never forget that women are an equal part of any car deal that involves one. They deserve acknowledgement and respect; make sure you give it to them. Never had a bad review, never been sued, always hear things like "I'd buy a car from that guy". We're not all crooks.

Good luck.
The Rev pretty much summed it up. It's a revolving door at most all new car dealerships due to the fact most dealers give the cars away so a salesman might make $50 on a new car deal. The money is made in the F&I department.
gtxdana is offline   Reply With Quote