E-85 discussion, can't get a consensus :( - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Racing Fuels

Old 09-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
mrdragster1970
T/S 368E
Smoked Another SBC

Cool E-85 discussion, can't get a consensus :(

OK, 2 engines being built. I want to switch to E-85.
Some guys say stick with gas, some say switch to pure meth, some like & use E-85, but only from a barrel, not pump.

Does anyone know for absolute sure what the loss or gain is from switching to E-85.
I have always heard you will always gain HP with pure meth with a high compression combo???

Both bracket engines, one just a box/no box car, one a T/S car.

Current engine 557" conventional headed Profiler CNC heads, Profiler tunnel ram, custom cam built after fuel is picked, 13.5-1.
Running 112 octane Rockett.

New engine 582-598" Big CHief, 9-12* heads, not bought yet, tunnel ram, dry sump, ~14.5-1, custom cam built after heads & fuel picked.
Would probably use 114 Rockett.

Any experiences would be appreciated!!!!

For my babies, we will always remember.
In memory of Chris
Costa, you will never meet a nicer guy. I will never forget your kindness, when I needed it.
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
litshoot
Spooled up

*Quick correction to my post. Methanol will make ridiculously more power than e85. I've been trying to find out about alcohol vs e85*

I'm in a similar position. Going from alcohol to e85. My current understanding is your previous fuel determines you descicison.
If you listen to street turbo guys coming from gas. E85 is magic. 12:1 20 plus pounds of boost. I've seen effective compressions ratios of combos in 28plus range. Now I don't know all the details
If you hear from racers coming from alcohol or race gas. The stuff is a gimmick that doesn't work on anything slightly warmer than pump gas.

Being your going to be track only it sounds I would say pump e85, and test and adjust it to the level you want for consistency. Tune for it and be happy with a much cheaper gas bill.

As for the power end of it. I spent months looking and no one will say how much they gained or lost between the 2. I've heard it comes to your tune. Alcohol will be more forgiving and allow a hotter tune

Last edited by litshoot; 09-15-2019 at 06:14 PM.
litshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
mrdragster1970
T/S 368E
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: E-85 discussion, can't get a consensus :(

I'm going with meth for both engines.
9-12* combo for the T/S car, and some decent, medium sized conventional heads for the no-box car.

For my babies, we will always remember.
In memory of Chris
Costa, you will never meet a nicer guy. I will never forget your kindness, when I needed it.
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

I would say my EFI turbo Mustang runs basically the same on E85 as it does on C16. But I run pump E85 that generally ranges from 75-85%. And of course it's great because it's readily available and costs $2.xx a gallon vs $15.xx plus a gallon for C16.

Keep in mind this. It's different changing fuels with EFI vs Carb, especially if you have injectors that will handle both. With EFI you have a optimum target AFR that you can tune to reach pretty quickly. Most carb setups are basically still tuned by trial and error without referencing a AFR. Timing plays a part in this also.

My point is that carb guys can switch and perhaps never have a chance or take the time to optimize the AFR and timing so they really know. Or perhaps their previous gas setup was not optimized. It's hard to compare both fuels unless both are optimized.

Thanks to:

HALTECH (Elite 2500 plus REM)
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes Racing

EMAIL - [email protected]

Last edited by Topfun99; 09-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Farthole
Spooled up

The only thing I can add to this is. On my street car with a 598 procharger blow through no cooler. I can only make 1300hp to the rear wheels with 93 octane and that's on the edge. With testing e85 from the pump or buying it from Vp. I can get 1600+ rear wheel hp. With the pump e85 testing to make sure I'm at 85% and the Vp makes the same power.

Last edited by Farthole; 09-18-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Farthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
litshoot
Spooled up

Topfunn that adds some clarity to my observation the divide is vehicle type specific and the crowd in them
litshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Farthole
Spooled up

It's a very good cheap fuel. The issue is having to test it every time at the station. Pita. The race fuel company's makes it not so cheap so it not a huge saving anymore. I tried it in my raptor headed 598 with 14 to 1 and it was fine but x16 made just a tad more power. I have seen huge gain with e98 and running a mag44
Farthole is offline   Reply With Quote