Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 8 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #106
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

This was good. Remember, I like my side dish's. Rich as hell, but a lot of flavor.

Pan seared Salmon over Vidalia Onion Mango/Avocado Pico de Gallo with blistered Tomatoes and Bacon/Brie Grits.

Bacon/Brie Grits

Ingredients:
½ cup Ground Grits
1 ½ cups of Chicken Broth
1 cup Cream
½ cup of Brie Cheese
8 oz uncooked Bacon (chopped)

Directions:
Cook the Bacon first. Add Grits, 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth in a covered pan and bring to a boil. Add the cup of cream and turn heat to the lowest setting occasionally stirring the Grits. After 30 minutes, add Cheese/Bacon to the Grits and mix well keeping the pan in a warm place.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 05-27-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #107
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This was good.

Eggplant Parmesan with Grilled Italian Sausage over Herbed Fettuccine with grilled Vandalia Onions and Sweet Peppers

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose Flour
2-3 large Eggs

1/2 oz cream
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt n Pepper
Eggplant
Oil for frying

Marinara Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:
Get organized and arrange dredging plates, a holding plate and a serving plate. Get your oil up to 375 degrees. In the first plate, add the flour, the second the slightly beaten eggs with the cream, and in the third plate a mixture of Breadcrumbs, Cheese, with a light salting and peppering.

Slice the
Eggplant into 1/2" slices. Dip them first in flour, next egg, next the Breadcrumb mixture. Set on a holding plate for frying. Then just fry until golden brown and salt them again fresh out of the oil.

Top with some homemade Marinara sauce, Mozzarella Cheese and put into a warm oven till the Cheese melts. Place on top of Fettuccini with a Basil/Tarragon Butter/Olive Oil sauce. Top with grilled Sweet Italian Sausage.

Denny
Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #108
carolinagirl
Mother Hen
Smoked Another SBC

Yum. My daughter had a "grown up grilled cheese" at a restaurant that basically is several types of cheese. She made us each one last night with Swiss, American and pepperjack. It was pretty good. It can't compare to your stuff, but for a 13 year old experimenting, it was good.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #109
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
Yum. My daughter had a "grown up grilled cheese" at a restaurant that basically is several types of cheese. She made us each one last night with Swiss, American and pepperjack. It was pretty good. It can't compare to your stuff, but for a 13 year old experimenting, it was good.
I've just had a little more practice. At 13 I was heating up canned SpaghettiO's adding a little American Cheese to them thinking I was slick. Good for her!

Got a Chief event tonight that I will be helping with this afternoon. These are always a great time for me to learn new things from people who do this for a living. Sounds like you got her on the right path early.

Denny
Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #110
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Ran into a deal on Halibut at Whole Foods so I stepped up the whole meal a notch. Really don't recommend grilling Halibut because it is so tender and flaky. The trick is a good coat of oil, score the skin so it doesn't curl, quick sear and finish in an oven with butter on top. Cook it too much and it will just fall through the grates. Frankly I would have pan seared it but my grill was on to do the radicchio so I went to plan B. Great meal. My favorite fish.

Grilled Halibut over a harvest grain porcini mushroom risotto, heirloom tomatoes from my garden with olive oil n basil, and grilled radicchio with an apple/raspberry Carmel sauce

Denny
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #111
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This was good.

Fried Oyster Mushrooms

Very good appetizer. Went to a food fest over the weekend and a guy there grows mushrooms and sells them. Looked great, a little stiff on his price. Morals were $52.00 per pound and Oyster Mushrooms were $16.00 per pound. Tempting but the price???!!! While staying at a friends in college his dad would go Moral Mushroom hunting all the time. Which really meals he sat n drank in a bar all day long and bought some mushrooms. Didn't matter, fried Morals are a delicacy. Was at my favorite Asian store yesterday stocking up on goodies and they had some really good looking Oyster Mushrooms for $5.05 per pound. Priced more to my liking. Anyway got the idea to treat them like they were Morals, dredge in flour n fry. You can never replace a fried Moral, but these were good.

The main course wasn't bad either.

Pineapple Fried Rice with Shrimp.

Denny
Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #112
RJAZE
Smoked Another SBC

Hey Denny does Moo Shu Pork count? No pics sorry.
It's one of my faves.
Garlic, ginger, soy sauce, white pepper and a touch of cornstarch on the pork. stir fry in sesame and soy bean oil. Add cabbage when pork is par-cooked. When cabbage is tender crisp add soy and white pepper and stir fry a minute longer. We use thin flour tortillas with hoisin sauce and green onions for garnish.

I get the pork steak from a small town butcher. 30 mile drive, but worth it. 3 good size pork steaks cost me $4.50. Wife grew up with their kids. She probably knows who raised the piggies too.
They butcher hogs twice a week so it's super fresh.
Smokehouse on site.
BTW I also get leaf lard chunks from them and render my own for cooking.

Last edited by RJAZE; 06-14-2016 at 10:35 AM.
RJAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #113
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAZE View Post
Hey Denny does Moo Shu Pork count? No pics sorry.
It's one of my faves.
Garlic, ginger, soy sauce, white pepper and a touch of cornstarch on the pork. stir fry in sesame and soy bean oil. Add cabbage when pork is par-cooked. When cabbage is tender crisp add soy and white pepper and stir fry a minute longer. We use thin flour tortillas with hoisin sauce and green onions for garnish.

I get the pork steak from a small town butcher. 30 mile drive, but worth it. 3 good size pork steaks cost me $4.50. Wife grew up with their kids. She probably knows who raised the piggies too.
They butcher hogs twice a week so it's super fresh.
Smokehouse on site.
BTW I also get leaf lard chunks from them and render my own for cooking.
Sure it does! I love Moo Shu Pork and cool deal on where the pork came from. The hardest part is steaming the wrappers and getting the right ones. Sometimes try the Philippino Lumpa wrappers.

Denny
Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #114
texasoutlaw89
King of all Assclowns
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Smoked some T-bones at the bachelor party I went to this past weekend. Injected 'em with garlic butter, lightly covered them with salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground red pepper...It's pretty hard to eat a steak and whack it at the same time, but damnit I made it happen. Shit was legit.
texasoutlaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #115
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasoutlaw89 View Post
Smoked some T-bones at the bachelor party I went to this past weekend. Injected 'em with garlic butter, lightly covered them with salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground red pepper...It's pretty hard to eat a steak and whack it at the same time, but damnit I made it happen. Shit was legit.
Damn, where are the picturers? I don't want to hear about, give me a chance to taste it too. Picture is worth a thousand words, bet ya never heard that. Lobster Mac n Cheese with a side of homegrown heirloom tomatoes. I'll post picturers in the morning (hint, hint) but my biggest stress point is it a summer meal, just something good? Hope I can sleep tonight worrying about it. OK, back to fighting trolls.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 06-20-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #116
texasoutlaw89
King of all Assclowns
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Damn Denny, lobster Mac sounds like the titties.

I left my phone in the truck the majority of the weekend. 14 guys that are all around my size, drunker than cooter brown? Something is getting broke lol.
texasoutlaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #117
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

I left my phone in the truck the majority of the weekend. 14 guys that are all around my size, drunker than cooter brown? Something is getting broke lol.

Denny
Old 06-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #118
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Here is your titties. Better get used to homegrown tomatoes for a couple of weeks. You know how they are, when the start to ripen, they all start to ripen.

Denny
Old 06-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #119
8URZ28
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Here is your titties. Better get used to homegrown tomatoes for a couple of weeks. You know how they are, when the start to ripen, they all start to ripen.

Denny
That looks good Denny!

Originally Posted by toplesscuda
Dude....you really not be smart.

Originally Posted by 440Cuda
I love 8URZ28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wilson View Post
Ford heads are far superior to any Chevy head. No one comes close. There. I said it.
8URZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #120
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8URZ28 View Post
That looks good Denny!
Really was. Very lucky that I have the time and experience to be able to do these things a home. Eating this way going out would cost a fortune. Amazing how cheap you can do it yourself. Betting it was way under $4.00 per serving especially considering I grew the Tomatoes and Basil. I gave my girlfriend (whoop, I mean workout partner) some who is from Boston and she went ape shit texting me back as she is a big Lobster fan.

Speaking of eating well for cheap..............

The Chicken was on sale for 69 cents per pound. The Brussels Sprouts were $1.99 per pound while the Sweet Red Pepper was 2 for a buck n a half. Basmati Rice came from Costco. The most expensive part was the Shishito Sweet Peppers and those were $5.09 per pound and was less than a 75 cents worth on the plate. The entire meal was less than what a Big Mac would cost, then you would have to upgrade to get a Coke n Fries. The funny thing is the first time I had the Shishito Peppers was at Iron Chef Morimoto's Nobu in Dallas. Ran into Brook Shields as she was eating there. It was served as an appetizer and it cost about $13.00.

Denny