Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 7 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #91
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
This was good.............

Pineapple Fried Rice

Ingredients:

1 Fresh Pineapple
2 Cups (prior to steaming) Steamed Basmati Rice
2 Eggs lighten beaten and seasoned
½ Red Pepper (sliced)
½ Green Pepper (sliced)
Big handful of salted Cashews
½ bunch of Green Onions (diced)
1-2 cloves Garlic (smashed and chopped)
Soy Sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1/8th teaspoon 5 spice seasoning
Big handful of diced Cilantro or Basal
½ small Lime
2-3 tables cooking oil
Optional: Sriracha Hot Sauce to taste

Directions:

Steam Rice and set in fridge. Get Wok semi-hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add egg and scramble, set aside in bowl. Rinse and wipe Wok. Return Wok to high heat and add remaining oil. Once oil starts smoking add Pineapple and Peppers. Cook till the edges of the Pineapple start to char (3-5 minutes). Set aside adding with the eggs in the bowl. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Onion to pan and cook for about a minutes.

Reduce heat and add Rice, Cashews, Fish Sauce, Cilantro to Wok and stir. Add Eggs and Pineapple mixture to rice and stir in. Add Soy Sauce to taste and squeeze the Lime in. Time to eat.

Denny
Damn.......that's right up my alley.......digging the different textures and potential flavor profiles.

Could see adding some ham chunks in that and making a " bog" out of it......

Bog referring to a dish in the south like " chicken bog" sometimes referred to as a perloux .........chicken , sausage, mirepoix and rice mixture.

As always, thanks for sharing.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #92
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
Damn.......that's right up my alley.......digging the different textures and potential flavor profiles.

Could see adding some ham chunks in that and making a " bog" out of it......

Bog referring to a dish in the south like " chicken bog" sometimes referred to as a perloux .........chicken , sausage, mirepoix and rice mixture.

As always, thanks for sharing.
Your welcome and I like the ham idea. It's a west coast dish and they serve it in a halved out Pineapple shell. Was going to try doing it but my Pineapple was quite ripe. The physicians creed is: "Above all, do no harm." Thought I'd do no harm and not even try hollowing it out.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #93
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Your welcome and I like the ham idea. It's a west coast dish and they serve it in a halved out Pineapple shell. Was going to try doing it but my Pineapple was quite ripe. The physicians creed is: "Above all, do no harm." Thought I'd do no harm and not even try hollowing it out.

Denny
You ever had a bog or perloux?

Comfort food for sure and everybody thinks there's is the best........

I haven't run across it much outside the southeast.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #94
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

No. And in fact I'll look it up as I have never heard of it. Now that I think of it, I've never seen the Thai Pineapple rice outside LA.

Denny
Old 04-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #95
8URZ28
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

I've never heard of this, and I'm in the SE constantly... What is it??

Originally Posted by toplesscuda
Dude....you really not be smart.

Originally Posted by 440Cuda
I love 8URZ28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wilson View Post
Ford heads are far superior to any Chevy head. No one comes close. There. I said it.
8URZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #96
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8URZ28 View Post
I've never heard of this, and I'm in the SE constantly... What is it??
I've never heard of it either, but I am more mid south than south east
cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #97
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Appears it is a S Carolina dish and it is spelled Perlou. Gonna say it runs in the same family as a Red Jambalaya.

Shrimp and Oyster Perlou

This classic South Carolina rice dish is filled with the flavors of the South! This simple recipe can include vegetables, seafood, or cured pork.
Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 12 ounce piece smoked pork sausage (like kielbasa) cut on a bias into 1/3 inch thick pieces
  • ¼ cup diced Aged Country Ham (or Tasso or Virginia ham)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large yellow onion)
  • 1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1/3 inch dice)
  • ½ cup diced green bell pepper (about ¼ inch dice)
  • ¼ cup sliced scallions cut on the bias, plus more for garnish
  • 1 cup Carolina Gold Rice (or other good quality rice)
  • 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 cup chopped oysters in their liquor (liquor separated) (from about 1 dozen freshly shucked oysters - about 7- 8 ounces shucked)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup tomatoes
  • 4 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 dozen medium shrimp (peeled, tails removed, deveined if necessary)
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 lemon juiced (only need 1-2 tablespoons)
  • 1/3 cup chopped flat leafed parsley (from ½ large bunch)
  • hot sauce

Directions

1. In a heavy bottomed cast iron pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the smoked sausage slices in one layer and cook until beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the aged country ham and stir. Cook a few more minutes until aged ham begins to crisp a bit.
  2. Add the onions, garlic, red and green bell peppers and cook until beginning to soften about 8 minutes. Add the sliced scallions and the rice. Stir until the rice is well coated with oil.
  3. Add the chicken stock, ¼ cup of oyster liquor, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the sprigs of thyme. Cover, reduce the heat to low and let the rice cook untouched for 15 minutes.
  4. After 15 minutes, listen to the sounds of the pot. You should start to hear the rice crisping (a popping sound) on the bottom of the pan, as the water evaporates. Once you start to hear the popping sound, remove the lid. Lay the shrimp in one layer over the rice. Sprinkle the cayenne over the shrimp. Don’t stir through. Cover the pot again and let the rice pop and the shrimp cook for 3 minutes.
  5. Remove the lid, add the oysters and their liquid.
  6. Finish the dish by squeezing lemon juice over (about 1-2 tablespoons to brighten the flavors), and a dash of hot sauce. Add the chopped parsley and stir through. The heat of the dish will cook the oysters.

Denny
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #98
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Most common versions I've seen are chicken bogs........there is a small town in SC ( loris) that has a bog off every year .....shut Main Street down and all the locals come out and compete to see who's is the best.....I've been to it a few times and it was great to meet the families and teams and see the different versions.

The basic recipe is to stew a chicken with onions, celery,carrots.......debone the chicken, toss it back into the stock, add some cooked smoked sausage( or ham), some good rice ( correct amount to stock volume) and then just cook like you would rice until all the moisture is absorbed.

We dump ours into a large pan and fluff it with a fork , but some like to serve it more as a sticky rice version......we like to add fresh thyme when we fluff the rice.

The rice picks up all the flavors of the chix, mirepoix ,sausage..............the old school perloux I've had from the Gullah regions leave the chix pieces whole and you fend for yourself with the bones and all, flavor is great but I prefer to debone the chicken for all of our bogs.

Some variations of it are .....seafood bog, using rice, sausage, lemon in the broth and cooking until almost done and then adding some peeled and deveined shrimp , lump crab and grouper cheeks for the final ten minutes of the rice cook.........it's a killer dish and the seafood comes out great and not overcooked.........only downside to the seafood bogs are they aren't as good reheated later and are meant to be eaten the first sitting..............straight up chicken bogs are like a good soup and are always better the second time around.

It's an easy dish, Google chicken bog and make your own version " Denny style"........the pineapple rice you showed just gave me the idea of how close it would be to an Asian style bog if I added some protein to the recipe......ham and pineapple go great together, so?...........ill let you know how it turns out, I will be making it.

I guess now that you guys say it, maybe it's not so much a southeast dish as it is a low country of SC and Coastal Georgia dish.......that does seem to be where I find it it on menus a bunch and they do have a pretty prevalent rice history..........whatever the case, it's a good inexpensive buffet style dish and rarely do people not go back for seconds.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #99
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This was good.

This is a bit more of the standing Pork Rib Roast thinking it was initially Lamb that I converted into two bone thick Pork Chops. Only this time I tried the reverse sear method instead of browning it first. Held the internal temp between 110 and 120 for about six hours to tenderize it some, then seared it on the outside. With my usual Carmel Apple topping and Scalloped Potatoes n Ham on the side. Thinking reverse searing may be the way of doing it.

Denny
Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #100
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This WAS good.

Denny
Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #101
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This was good! Kinda boogered it up trying to get it out of the pan, (shit happenes right) but it tasted the same. Spinach n Sausage Manicotti with a grilled Bacon Caesar Salad.

Bit of a hassle to make and for sure a weekend dish unless you make it ahead (I made it in the afternoon and put it in the oven for dinner) but worth it.

Manicotti

Ingredients:
8 manicotti shells

Sauce:
1/4th lb Sweet Italian Sausage
1 32-ounce can of Tomatoes
3 to 4 cloves garlic (crushed n chopped)
1 small onion (medium chopped)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Small handful of fresh basil, (course chopped)
Few Sprigs of Tarragon (chopped while chopping the basil)
Small handful of fresh parsley (course chopped)
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
Couple tablespoons Olive Oil

Filling:
8 oz fresh Spinach
Tablespoon or so of Olive Oil to sauté Spinach
Salt to taste
1 glove of Garlic (crushed and chopped)
2cups ricotta
1 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
2 cups shredded mozzarella

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the manicotti until shy of al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool to handle.

For the sauce: Brown the Sausage, fine chop when brown and set aside. Place in a food processor (I used a Vitamix blender) the canned tomatoes, garlic, onion, sugar, basil, tarragon, parsley, salt and pepper to taste and the Olive Oil. Blend until smooth, place the sauce in a pot and simmer 20 minutes.

Pour half of the sauce into large baking dish.

For the filling: Sautee/season the Spinach, drain, and chop. Mix together in a large bowl the spinach, ricotta, half the Parm, salt and pepper to taste. Taste to adjust seasonings before adding the egg. Once the egg is incorporated, spoon the filling into a large plastic food storage bag and trim the corner. Pipe the filling into the manicotti and put in the baking dish. Cover the stuffed pasta with the sausage, remaining sauce, mozzarella and Pharm. Cover and store for a make-ahead meal.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and bake until brown and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes.

Denny
Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #102
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This meal was more than good, it was outstanding. My workout partner turned 55 yesterday so I had her and 4 of her girlfriends over for lunch before they headed up to OK to do some gambling for her birthday. Let's just say this is the way I like to eat and so did they. Got some real brownie points out of this one. Fricken great meal and one I'd be happy with in a fairly high end restaurant.

Appetizer: Eggplant Fries with a Honey Mustard dipping sauce.

Main Course: Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Pan Seared Salmon.

Before the final garnish of Bacon and Shrimp as you can see the salad part better in this picture. Over a bed of Arugula with a Basil/Tarragon vinaigrette. Basil and Tarragon picked fresh from my deck garden picked about two minutes before the vinaigrette was made. The Salmon was brined for about 5 hours and done using the pan seared no oil technique for a better crust. Killer meal!!

After final garnish.

Desert: Why birthday cake of course.

I've posted how to make both before and the Shrimp/Avocado is just a slight variation where I cubed the Avocado instead of making a stuffed Avocado. Outstanding meal and highly recommended if you like healthy food with a lot of texture and flavor.

Denny

Last edited by Denny McLain; 05-18-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #103
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This was surprisingly good. Not the steak, the potatoes.

Gotten so anymore that a steak, is a steak, is a steak. I honestly get more excited with what ya balance it out with. Basic steak really. Salt it, let it sit a bit, a bit of baking soda n oil with fish sauce as a rub, then reverse sear method, hit it with some butter. Yawn. The potatoes came out outstanding and it was just a play dish. Basically I combined a ham n scalloped tators dish with a gratin potatoes dish and got lucky.

Ingredients:

Two Jumbo Potatoes (1/8th inch sliced)
1/2 a large Valdila Onion (sliced super thin)
1/8th inch thick sliced Ham
Parmesan Cheese
Cream
Flour
Butter
Celery Seed
Fresh ground Salt n Pepper

Directions:

Slice the potatoes and par boil them until they are 75-80% done. Drain and let residual cook till cool enough to handle them. Butter a baking dish. Layer of potatoes, Salt n Pepper, dusting of flour, sprinkle of Cream, layer of Onions. Repeat only sprinkle some celery seed on the second layer. After two layers, add a layer of Ham in the middle as you want the Ham to cook as little as possible. Two more layers on top and grind a good layer of Parmesan Cheese on top. Top with Onions.

Cook at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes covered, raise oven temp to 425 and uncover. Cook till you start to see some browning of the onions. Remove from oven, cover and let sit in a microwave oven to let the flavors gell and the dish to firm up. Cut it n eat it. For us in the summer desert is usually Mellon or Fruit. In this case I bought a Santa Clause Mellon as I had never had it before. Great Mellon! Like a better Honeydew.

Denny
Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #104
Poohbair
Spooled up

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #105
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Outta site!

Denny