Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 55 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #811
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Corn bread dressing stuffed Cornish game hens, bacon wrapped corn, cast iron skillet fried potatoes & onions.

cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #812
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Win^^^^^^^^
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #813
1320dreams
PHUCKSTICK
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
Win^^^^^^^^
Holy phuck ya....
there's a lotta great food in this thread, but rarely do I see a plate that I love/know the flavor of every morsel....
Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #814
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
Win^^^^^^^^
I agree, great idea.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #815
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Well, let's see if I can add a couple.

Brown Butter Scallops with 5 Spice Black Rice

Bunch of stolen ideas. The rice came from Musume in Dallas.

Denny
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #816
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Marinated Caribbean Basil Grilled Red Snapper

Ingredients:

Whole Red Snapper

Marinade:
1 cup of wine
1 Lemon
1 Lime
Handful of Basil
Couple Sprigs of Rosemary
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Onion
5-6 cloves of Garlic
Olive Oil
Hit of Fish Sauce

Directions:

Zest the Lemon and Lime, cut them in half and squeeze the juice into a gallon baggie. Add the wine. Course chop the Onion and Basil. Add all the ingredients into the baggie. Add cuts to the Snapper and marinade 6-24 hours.

Grill the Red Snapper by not moving the fish around on the grill on each side till a char is produced. Then into a 180-200 degree oven for 15 minutes to finish.

Serve with Mango Pica de Gallo, Couscous, and grilled veggies. Good stuff!

Denny
Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #817
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320dreams View Post
Holy phuck ya....
there's a lotta great food in this thread, but rarely do I see a plate that I love/know the flavor of every morsel....
That is why recipes are posted, so you can experience it for yourself. It literally takes a lifetime of learning, trying new things to develop a palet and the skills to prepare “Good” food.

Finished my family’s cookbook probably 4 years ago. My problem is I keep revising it as I experience new things and my tastes mature. It contains the standard items cooked for my family at our annual Lake Michigan summer drunken get together’s, and Hollidays over the past 30 years to remind them of growing up. (Literally did 95% of the food preparation) However, keep adding gems to it. When I no longer am able to grow, the final edition will be published and given to everyone who was part of the experience. Hopefully they will pass it down to further generations.

Denny
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #818
1320dreams
PHUCKSTICK
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
That is why recipes are posted, so you can experience it for yourself. It literally takes a lifetime of learning, trying new things to develop a palet and the skills to prepare “Good” food.

Finished my family’s cookbook probably 4 years ago. My problem is I keep revising it as I experience new things and my tastes mature. It contains the standard items cooked for my family at our annual Lake Michigan summer drunken get together’s, and Hollidays over the past 30 years to remind them of growing up. (Literally did 95% of the food preparation) However, keep adding gems to it. When I no longer am able to grow, the final edition will be published and given to everyone who was part of the experience. Hopefully they will pass it down to further generations.

Denny
And it's appreciated Denny.

My palate is so unrefined that sometimes I'm not sure how I'll like a recipe, even though my eyes (and comon sense) tell me that it's gonna be amazing....

Keep up the good work.... eye candy as well as mouth candy....
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #819
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately

Quote:
And it's appreciated Denny.

My palate is so unrefined that sometimes I'm not sure how I'll like a recipe, even though my eyes (and comon sense) tell me that it's gonna be amazing....

Keep up the good work.... eye candy as well as mouth candy....
Well, thank you. In no way would you believe how simply I grew up. No way. My mother grew up on a farm in OK who ate what they raised n grew. Poor Irish farmers. She was probably the worst cook ever. Honestly had never had shrimp until late teens, n then ate the tails because didn’t know you were not supposed to. It is what it is, n then you move on. No big whoop. Plato’s cave if you get the jest.

Tell ya what.....It is your birthday, for your birthday what would be your special meal? Let me see what I and others can figure out something for ya that you would like. Seriously good food, is good food, and most of the time simple things if quality ingredients and well prepared... is good food. What is your favorite? What do you like? Let me see if I can come up with something you like.

Not the Lone Ranger. Different cooking styles, some real talent here. Lets let a few others have a chance too. It is your birthday, be spoiled.

Denny
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #820
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Denny
I'll take a copy if it's allowed.........add to the other collection of great cook books we own.

You say it'll be published when you are no longer able to grow......have a feeling it will never be published based on that comment.

Good stuff Denny......brown butter scallops sound and look great.

Culinary art.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #821
1320dreams
PHUCKSTICK
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Well, thank you. In no way would you believe how simply I grew up. No way. My mother grew up on a farm in OK who ate what they raised n grew. Poor Irish farmers. She was probably the worst cook ever. Honestly had never had shrimp until late teens, n then ate the tails because didn’t know you were not supposed to. It is what it is, n then you move on. No big whoop. Plato’s cave if you get the jest.

Tell ya what.....It is your birthday, for your birthday what would be your special meal? Let me see what I and others can figure out something for ya that you would like. Seriously good food, is good food, and most of the time simple things if quality ingredients and well prepared... is good food. What is your favorite? What do you like? Let me see if I can come up with something you like.

Not the Lone Ranger. Different cooking styles, some real talent here. Lets let a few others have a chance too. It is your birthday, be spoiled.

Denny
Wow, I don't know where to begin.
I'll begin by saying thank you, because I will undoubtedly adopt your suggestions in the future.
My mother is Irish (maiden name Drought), and I grew up 1/2 my life on a grain farm, I too learned to love meat and potatoes.

My favorite meal is Prime Rib, cauliflower and potatoes (or scalloped), and some French onion soup, appetizer would include shrimp, either as shrimp, or in stuffed mushrooms (Neptune).

Thanx for your time Denny, just thinking about what you and others may dream up is like having a birthday....
Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #822
1320dreams
PHUCKSTICK
Smoked Another SBC

http://chefmichaelsmith.com/video/po...-cheddar-tart/

I like to do this with Sweet potatoes and parmesan cheese....
Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #823
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Wow, I don't know where to begin.
I'll begin by saying thank you, because I will undoubtedly adopt your suggestions in the future.
My mother is Irish (maiden name Drought), and I grew up 1/2 my life on a grain farm, I too learned to love meat and potatoes.

My favorite meal is Prime Rib, cauliflower and potatoes (or scalloped), and some French onion soup, appetizer would include shrimp, either as shrimp, or in stuffed mushrooms (Neptune).

Thanx for your time Denny, just thinking about what you and others may dream up is like having a birthday....

Let me work on it. Know a way of making killer Rib Roast for sure.

Denny
Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #824
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

In the meantime...……… would you believe Hot Dogs?

Cooked Coney Island style low n slow on a griddle toasting the buns.

With Shishito Peppers Grilled Valdila Onions.

Variety is the spice of life and everything is good in moderation. (where did I hear that?)

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #825
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Repost for making really good Rib Roast.

No guts, no glory or just maybe guts and a fail? We will see how it actually comes out. Might be good, might not be good but think I may just get lucky.

Picked up a prime tenderloin and rack of lamb at Costco for the holidays and happened to stop by good ol Kroger checking out deals and ran into one and bit on it. Personally not a huge fan of the regular beef at Kroger but this was just too cheap to pass up. I prefer prime for the holidays, but some things are hard to walk away from.

Doesn't have the marbling I like but it is from the ribs that I like and doesn't have any gristle so I think I can make it work. Honestly was just going to age it and have it ready in case anyone wanted some but my son bought movie tickets X-mas day for the new Star Wars movie in the afternoon so the timing to make it works out well. While we are watching the movie it can be holding in the oven. It will cook for a full 12 hours except for initial browning and additional browning in the broiler at then end. The temp of the oven will never go over 200 degrees and most of the time around 120.

The first thing I did was take it out of the Kroger plastic and rewrap it in cooking plastic and then into a plastic bag that has the air removed. Important when wet ageing that you remove all the air and the meat not exposed to oxygen.

That was 9-10 days ago. It won't age as long as I would like to be eaten for X-Mas but I think it will be OK. Thursday I will remove it from the plastic, cut the ribs away from the main section and do a heavy Kosher salt rub. I will reattach the ribs to the main section using string and dry age for 3 days more days. For the initial browning I will remove the ribs again, and brown both sections except for where they meet. I will again reattach the ribs, tie everything together with string and throw it into a 200 degree oven which I will turn off when the internal temp hits 100. If it rises too much I will completely remove it from the oven to prevent over cooking. Will then hold the internal temp between 110 and 120 for the rest of the day. The only seasoning will be salt and pepper. Nothing else is needed for good beef.

To be continued. Real time, is real time. It will take a while.

Like Anthony Bourdain said about Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals............ "Nothing good happens in 30 minutes."

Denny