Three meat gravy & biscuits - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Default Three meat gravy & biscuits

Just something I dreamed up yesterday morning, I got tired of just plain sausage gravy with my biscuits so I started experimenting, I usually fry bacon with my sausage anyway to get more pan drippings, so I just crumbled up some bacon in there, I had a hankering for some country ham so I decided, what the heck, I might as well put some of that in there too, oh lord, I might have stumble upon one of the best milk gravy recipe of all time!, it is by far the best I've ever had, but don't take my word for it, MAKE SOME!

I fried two sausage patties, two pieces of bacon ( I ate one while the biscuits were baking, I couldn't wait ) and one piece of biscuit sized country ham, for you yanks out there, country ham is dry, salt cured ham which is very salty, so there is no need to add any salt to the gravy.

After everything was fried up, I spooned out just enough grease to make a rue with the appropriate amount of flour, browned slightly, slowly add whole milk ( about 1-1/2 cups ) bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until you get the desired consistency, I like my gravy kinda thick, I seasoned mine with cracked black pepper and a good amount of crushed red pepper flakes, so it was on the spicy side but that's how I like it!

cepx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Three meat gravy & biscuits

No pepper or Tabasco on the eggs, I'll give it a 9.944 out of 10. Doubt few, if any will get the reference.

Gravy/rue is my weak point, why I buy it in a bag or a can. I did save the bacon grease drippings from frying 2 lbs a while ago. I need gravy help!
Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Also not found, hash browns!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:29 AM   #4
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
No pepper or Tabasco on the eggs, I'll give it a 9.944 out of 10. Doubt few, if any will get the reference.

Gravy/rue is my weak point, why I buy it in a bag or a can. I did save the bacon grease drippings from frying 2 lbs a while ago. I need gravy help!
I salted and peppered the eggs before I scrambled them up.

No hash browns this time, I'm watching my weight.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
H.G. Wells
Smoked another BBC

Damn that sounds good.
I struggle getting enough grease from the sausage to make gravy, but I always have bacon grease stored. Bet I try it this weekend.
H.G. Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G. Wells View Post
Damn that sounds good.
I struggle getting enough grease from the sausage to make gravy, but I always have bacon grease stored. Bet I try it this weekend.
Yeah most of the good breakfast sausage is pretty lean, which is why I always fry up a piece or two of bacon with mine, but you can use a mixture of fried breakfast sausage pan drippings/bacon grease and even butter, whatever it takes to get about 2-2 1/2 TBS of grease, then add the appropriate amount of flour to get a runny rue, brown slightly and add milk, so easy even Mista bone could do it.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 AM   #7
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepx111 View Post
Yeah most of the good breakfast sausage is pretty lean, which is why I always fry up a piece or two of bacon with mine, but you can use a mixture of fried breakfast sausage pan drippings/bacon grease and even butter, whatever it takes to get about 2-2 1/2 TBS of grease, then add the appropriate amount of flour to get a runny rue, brown slightly and add milk, so easy even Mista bone could do it.
I have a jar of bacon grease and thinking of smoking a breakfast sausage roll fattie this weekend.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:34 AM   #8
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

OK, I'm trying this soon....fuck a diet when there is good food to be made!
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
bambam598
NITROUS OUTLET FTW
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepx111 View Post
Just something I dreamed up yesterday morning, I got tired of just plain sausage gravy with my biscuits so I started experimenting, I usually fry bacon with my sausage anyway to get more pan drippings, so I just crumbled up some bacon in there, I had a hankering for some country ham so I decided, what the heck, I might as well put some of that in there too, oh lord, I might have stumble upon one of the best milk gravy recipe of all time!, it is by far the best I've ever had, but don't take my word for it, MAKE SOME!

I fried two sausage patties, two pieces of bacon ( I ate one while the biscuits were baking, I couldn't wait ) and one piece of biscuit sized country ham, for you yanks out there, country ham is dry, salt cured ham which is very salty, so there is no need to add any salt to the gravy.

After everything was fried up, I spooned out just enough grease to make a rue with the appropriate amount of flour, browned slightly, slowly add whole milk ( about 1-1/2 cups ) bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until you get the desired consistency, I like my gravy kinda thick, I seasoned mine with cracked black pepper and a good amount of crushed red pepper flakes, so it was on the spicy side but that's how I like it!

This looks awesome. I use Elliots ground breakfast sausage in the tube because I only make it when the kids come to visit. we usually have the gravy over pancakes. Kids love it that way instead of biscuits. Thanks for sharing.
bambam598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

So I made gravy using just bacon grease, flour, and milk. It must have been good because when I woke up only one biscuit (of was left and the gravy was gone.

I even managed to do the dishes as well after making a pot of chili and grilling pork tenderloin cuts. Yes, I was drinking and cooking for a few hours.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
So I made gravy using just bacon grease, flour, and milk. It must have been good because when I woke up only one biscuit (of was left and the gravy was gone.

I even managed to do the dishes as well after making a pot of chili and grilling pork tenderloin cuts. Yes, I was drinking and cooking for a few hours.
Right on bro, drunk cooking FTW! Next time put some meat in the gravy, sausage, bacon, country ham, it all works and makes it mo better!
Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

I have a chub of spicy breakfast sausage to smoke soon. I did still a slight taste of the flour though. I was going to add a tiny amount of kitchen bouqet, but it was so old I could has used it to seal cracks in the street.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
cepx111
Former RJ instigator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I have a chub of spicy breakfast sausage to smoke soon. I did still a slight taste of the flour though. I was going to add a tiny amount of kitchen bouqet, but it was so old I could has used it to seal cracks in the street.
Gotta brown that rue slightly to get rid of the flour taste, I usually wisk it around a few minutes over medium heat, about 2-3 minutes tops, if you brown it too long you'll end up with brown gravy.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #14
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

I did brown it for about 2 mins, then slowly wisked in the milk....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #15
Mista Bone
Trolling the Trolls
Smoked Another SBC

Browned for 5 minutes, added real bacon bits this time, then added the milk slowly wisked for about a minute then left it alone for a bit. Gravy looked great in the pan and on the biscuits...but as it cooled a little, it got thicker! I either needed more milk or less flour.