Anyone make anything good lately? - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 03-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #61
ndmp40
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Thanks for the responses, guys.
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #62
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

My son did.

Talented person. 100% from scratch, even the noodles.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #63
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
My son did.

Talented person. 100% from scratch, even the noodles.

Denny
The top dish...........some kind of barley dish , grilled apples maybe?

Whatever it is, it looks great........the soup noodle dish below it would have most likely just been picked up and drank right from the bowl.......looked great also.
Hickoryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #64
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
The top dish...........some kind of barley dish , grilled apples maybe?

Whatever it is, it looks great........the soup noodle dish below it would have most likely just been picked up and drank right from the bowl.......looked great also.
The top dish was desert. Farro Chai Porridge with grilled Apples. The second is handmade Soba Noodles with a Lemongrass Cumin Broth. He and his girlfriend made it. Both talented creative people, she owns a production company that does commercials, Disney is one of her main clients. Like I say talented people.

Denny
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #65
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

This is drop dead delicious. Thai Crab and Shrimp Butternut Squash Bisque. With Coconut milk, Curry and Basil. Just finished making it for tonight and one of the better soups I've done lately. Addictive even, as I want to go back and sample some more. Shrimp and Crab blended into the Bisque with chunks of jumbo Shrimp.

I'll present it with some fresh basil on top and fresh bread with butter on the side. The day started out raining like hell so a good soup to go with the meal sounded good, now the sun is shining bright even though they are predicting a 100% chance of rain. I predict a 100% chance of eating some later regardless.

Denny
Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #66
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
The top dish was desert. Farro Chai Porridge with grilled Apples. The second is handmade Soba Noodles with a Lemongrass Cumin Broth. He and his girlfriend made it. Both talented creative people, she owns a production company that does commercials, Disney is one of her main clients. Like I say talented people.

Denny
Cool on the porridge......

And on the soup, after that description.......yup, would definately pick up the bowl and drink the whole thing.

Sounds great......like always, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #67
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
This is drop dead delicious. Thai Crab and Shrimp Butternut Squash Bisque. With Coconut milk, Curry and Basil. Just finished making it for tonight and one of the better soups I've done lately. Addictive even, as I want to go back and sample some more. Shrimp and Crab blended into the Bisque with chunks of jumbo Shrimp.

I'll present it with some fresh basil on top and fresh bread with butter on the side. The day started out raining like hell so a good soup to go with the meal sounded good, now the sun is shining bright even though they are predicting a 100% chance of rain. I predict a 100% chance of eating some later regardless.

Denny
100% chance indeed............I'm surprised I haven't heard an alert from the national delicious service come across my cars radio like the weather alerts.

Nice........I'll bet a conch fritter or something of the sort would be a nice addition ( like the bread) as well..

Ever heard of a hoe cake?........similar to a corn fritter.

My bride likes me to add jumbo lump crabmeat to the mixture, she is not a fan of the conch fritter, but loves the crab fritter.......I think the whole slimy conch deal freaks her out a little.

You probably know this, but the term hoe cake came from the workers grinding up corn meal , making a batter and sitting the flat part of their gardening type hoe over the fire close enough so that it would cook up a couple of fritters of the cornmeal mixture for lunch.
Very popular term amongst the Gullah cuisine folks in the low country of SC........a style of food that I love.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #68
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Thumbs down Re: Anyone make anything good lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickoryhound View Post
100% chance indeed............I'm surprised I haven't heard an alert from the national delicious service come across my cars radio like the weather alerts.

Nice........I'll bet a conch fritter or something of the sort would be a nice addition ( like the bread) as well..

Ever heard of a hoe cake?........similar to a corn fritter.

My bride likes me to add jumbo lump crabmeat to the mixture, she is not a fan of the conch fritter, but loves the crab fritter.......I think the whole slimy conch deal freaks her out a little.

You probably know this, but the term hoe cake came from the workers grinding up corn meal , making a batter and sitting the flat part of their gardening type hoe over the fire close enough so that it would cook up a couple of fritters of the cornmeal mixture for lunch.
Very popular term amongst the Gullah cuisine folks in the low country of SC........a style of food that I love.

Never heard of the term "hoe cake" but it a big world out there. Something I have been meaning to do is pick up a couple of cookbooks to learn more about SC low country food. With my background in Cajun food it may be pretty easy for me to pick up.

Denny
Old 03-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #69
SouthernTrendKill
Revolution Is My Name
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Never heard of the term "hoe cake" but it a big world out there. Something I have been meaning to do is pick up a couple of cookbooks to learn more about SC low country food. With my background in Cajun food it may be pretty easy for me to pick up.

Denny
Start easy and go with a Low Country Boil.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/44033/d...-country-boil/
SouthernTrendKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #70
SouthernTrendKill
Revolution Is My Name
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Denny
Can you post the Recipe for this? I love Bisque and Thai.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #71
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrendKill View Post
Can you post the Recipe for this? I love Bisque and Thai.
I'll do it on the morning along with my standard lobster Bosque recipe which came from Enterprise Seafood in Santa Barbara.

Denny
Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #72
Hickoryhound
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Denny
Like Sunday morning...lol.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #73
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Thai Crab and Shrimp Butternut Squash Bisque

This is one where you are going to have to adjust the spices to your tastes as its one I winged making. What prompted me making it is it was a shitty rainy day and after working out my workout partner and I decided on a comfort food lunch going to Whole Foods. We both got soup n sandwich getting Butternut Squash and Crab soup. She said something to the effect that my soups were better so I told her I would work on it and give her some.

Ingredients:

1 lb of Jumbo Shrimp (Chopped into bite sized pieces and seasoned)
lb of Crab Meat (Optional due to being expensive)
1 large or 2 small Butternut Squash
1 14 oz can of Coconut Milk
3 cups of Chicken Broth
th medium Sweet Onion
2 gloves Garlic (smashed and chopped)
1 tablespoon Curry Powder (about, adjust to taste)
Hit of Cinnamon
Tablespoon or so of Olive Oil
Couple squeezes of Maple Syrup
Small Handful of Fresh Basil
Salt n Pepper to taste
Optional: Sirachia Hot Sauce to taste

Directions:

Medium dice the onion and add to a pan with the Olive Oil and Garlic, turn the heat to medium low. Using a peeler remove the skin from the squash, half, remove the seeds and cut into a 1 inch dice. Once the Onion starts to turn, add the squash, Curry Powder, Cinnamon, and a pinch of Salt n Pepper. Stir to coat and place a lid on top occasionally stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Add Broth, Coconut Milk, Syrup and simmer till the squash is tender. Add the Shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes till the Shrimp start to turn. Add mixture to a blender, add the Basil and blend till smooth. Return to pan and return to a simmer. Taste, adjust spices, and adjust thickness. Five minutes prior to serving return to a simmer adding remaining Shrimp and Crab Meat. Serve and garnish with fresh Basil.

Denny
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #74
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

Lobster Bisque (Enterprise Seafood Company - Santa Barbara, Ca)

My wife and I had befriended the manager of the Enterprise Seafood Company restaurant in Santa Barbara. He had stopped by our table and I had remarked on how much I liked the Lobster Bisque. When getting the check there was a folded sheet of paper underneath the bill. He had copied the restaurants recipe and gave it to me. It was for five gallons so I had to cut it down, but as good as I have had anywhere.

Ingredients:

16 oz Cream
16 oz Lobster
16 oz canned Tomatoes
2 stalks Celery
1/2 large Onion
1 Large Carrot
4 oz Sherry
16 oz Lobster/chicken broth
2 Tablespoon Cornstarch

Directions:

Remove lobster meat from shells and boil shells in 16 oz chicken broth for at least 2 hours. Add water to retain volume. Dice the vegetables and add veggies, tomatoes, sherry to pan and simmer for at least 3o minutes. Strain, broth and veggies.(Yep...... ya throw the veggies away just keeping the broth.)

Add two tablespoons cornstarch to 4 ounces broth mixture and whisk. Dice lobster and add lobster, cornstarch and cream to pan. Ladle 3/4th of the mixture into a blender and blend for 15-20 seconds. Add back to pan. Bring to boil/simmer and immediately turn heat off. Serve with an Antipasto appetizer and good bread.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #75
SouthernTrendKill
Revolution Is My Name
Smoked Another SBC

Denny,

Thanks! I cut the recipe in half, used Thai red curry paste, powered coconut milk, and all crab (it was cheaper than shrimp).