Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Crankshaft rust?

992 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  3gdwrench 
#1 ·
I noticed some very light rusting on my crank journals and I want to use some emery cloth to polish it slightly. What grit should I use?

I have automotive wet and dry paper of all grits if you think that's a better choice.

Thank you

#3 ·
Thanks!

Its upsetting. I had it all cleaned and should of oiled it. Its little raised specs almost like someone was grinding next to it, but its been in a room with nothing going on.

#5 ·
I use a decent length shoelace, wd-40, and some 1000grt wet/dry sand paper.

Cut and fold the paper to the width of the journal and long enough to go around the diameter. Wet the journal and paper with the wd and put in place then wrap the shoelace around the journal several times (like a coil) to roughly the width of the journal...

Now pull tension on both ends of the lace and spin the paper in a back and forth motion for maybe a minute or so. Works really well and pressure is applied evenly across the journal.

I've used the scotch brite also but didn't like the idea that some of the fibre's may end up in oil passages. The paper leaves a nice finish and you can go finer grit if you like

#9 ·
Thanks Mark

#8 ·
I tried the red scotch brite first and followed up with 1500 w&d. They are perfectly smooth now!

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.