C clip eliminators for street car? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Rearends and Differentials - Mark Williams Enterprises

Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
351wturbo
Launchin

Default C clip eliminators for street car?

Hello,

I have a 92 mustang that has a gear oil leak at the passenger rear. Had a buddy check it out and he recommended c clip eliminators, but i wanted to ask what problems I may have on a street car only for future leaks or repairs with this setup? On moserís webpage they donít recommend c clip eliminators for street use. Hope someone with experience can tel me what is good and what to look for?

Was considering moser or strange if anyone had a recommendation on quality or company standing behind their product.

Ford 8.8
Welded tubes
31 spline
Sn 95 rear disk brakes
5 lug swap

Running drag radials in summer only, Iíve never been to the track.

Thank you
351wturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: C clip eliminators for street car?

I think that Strange makes a kit that uses a different bearing setup, designed for street use.

Depending on how you did the SN brakes, may be a potential problem. If you used the aftermarket adapter brackets, the spacing will be wrong because the eliminator bolts to the same place.

If you modified the factory brackets, you will have an easier time. You will need to cut the centers out of a set of drum backing plates, to correct the spacing. And you will likely need longer fastners due to the additional thickness of the caliper brackets.
juiced coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
351wturbo
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced coupe 78 View Post
I think that Strange makes a kit that uses a different bearing setup, designed for street use.

Depending on how you did the SN brakes, may be a potential problem. If you used the aftermarket adapter brackets, the spacing will be wrong because the eliminator bolts to the same place.

If you modified the factory brackets, you will have an easier time. You will need to cut the centers out of a set of drum backing plates, to correct the spacing. And you will likely need longer fastners due to the additional thickness of the caliper brackets.
Thank you sir for the detailed reply. Previous owner did the swap and Iíll have to research the difference. I honestly dont know
Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351wturbo View Post
Thank you sir for the detailed reply. Previous owner did the swap and Iíll have to research the difference. I honestly dont know
If you look at the caliper brackets, it will be obvious.

Aftermarket brackets bolt to the front of the axle tube. They just have a different offset, because SN axles are longer.

When factory brackets are modified, they are notched and bolted to the back side of the axle tube. It just so happens that bolting the brackets on the back side is correct for Fox length axles.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:58 AM   #5
351wturbo
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced coupe 78 View Post
If you look at the caliper brackets, it will be obvious.

Aftermarket brackets bolt to the front of the axle tube. They just have a different offset, because SN axles are longer.

When factory brackets are modified, they are notched and bolted to the back side of the axle tube. It just so happens that bolting the brackets on the back side is correct for Fox length axles.
If I posted up some pics would you be able to identify the brackets?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2019, 02:21 AM   #6
GKsGS400
YB Managing Editor
Smoked Another SBC

Moser says 2 5/8ths inch from the bracket plate to the outside axle plate. I have them on my 12 bolt and have hundreds of passes and 10k+ street miles on it. Never had a problem with them.

David Shaker
GKsGS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #7
juiced coupe 78
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
If I posted up some pics would you be able to identify the brackets?
Thanks
They are easy enough to identify.

If they bolt to the axle flange between the housing flange and the axle flange, they are aftermarket.

If they notched them to fit over the axle tube and bolt to the backside of the axle flange, they are stock. Some people weld the section back on.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
wingnutks
Pullin gears

Strange has tapered bearing c-clip eliminators made for circle track racing and street use.

[email protected]
wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #9
351wturbo
Launchin

Thank you everyone for the info. I will be calling strange and moser to get some details on what parts may work or what I need to modify on disc brake rear setup.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Rick_R
Another Nobody
Smoked Another SBC

the reason for C clop eliminators is to stop the axle from leaving if the axle breaks between the clip and flange. your rotor and caliper bracket do that now since you ave disc brakes, so there is no good reason to bother with c clip eliminators in your case as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
lyonsperf
Smoked another BBC

I've been running my Mark Williams axles with c clip eliminators on the street since 1988.
Never had an issue.
12 bolt with Moroso Brute Strength and 4:10's

Support Your Independent Speed Shops!
lyonsperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #12
351wturbo
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
the reason for C clop eliminators is to stop the axle from leaving if the axle breaks between the clip and flange. your rotor and caliper bracket do that now since you ave disc brakes, so there is no good reason to bother with c clip eliminators in your case as far as I'm concerned.
I was originally thinking that as well sir. I had a local tech I trust that helped me with last work recommend them and I wanted to do more research.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:05 AM   #13
chevyforce
Launchin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
I was originally thinking that as well sir. I had a local tech I trust that helped me with last work recommend them and I wanted to do more research.
Yes but.... if disc brakes provide the same effect, why would one need eliminators or Ford ends under 11.5 seconds according to the safety regulations?
chevyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
Boosted Chicken
Launchin

The rules just say "axle retention device". They don't say what kind of retention device you have to have.
Now that being said, I have rear disc brakes and broke a stock axle several years ago. It broke right at the hit and put the rotor/caliper in a bind effectively locking that wheel. I had to have a wrecker pick up the car by the rear to get it off the starting line.
I was thinking that would have been bad had I gotten up to any kind of speed but my thinking is the way a c-clip elim is designed it would have the same effect. The axle would not longer be straight in the tube and it would bind the brakes and lock up that wheel. I don't see that elim bearing being able to hold the axle true inside the tube after it breaks, it would just keep the axle from exiting the tube.

Correct me if I am wrong.
88 Turbocoupe #1: Precision 6466 equipped 9 second 2.5 four banger
88 Turbocoupe #2: Turbo BBF project...someday
88 Turbocoupe #3: Parts car
Boosted Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote