Converter ? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Old 11-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Default Converter ?

Having some converter issues and looking for opinions before purchasing another one or getting mine changed
Combo is 438ci sbf making 750hp na spraying a 35 jet in a 3300lb car with 3.9s and 1.8 first running 1/4 mile only
Has run [email protected] on a 33 jet and [email protected] on a 35 jet
Problem im having is the converter will flash to 6000-6300 depending on how much I spray on the hit but it 60fts slower the more I spray and lugs it down about 1.3 sec out
Have spoken to converter builder who suggests loosening it to stop it lugging down, does this sound right ?
I was thinking it needed to be a little tight on the hit to stop the flairing ?
Ive tried everything from 50% gas with 4deg launch retard to 80% gas with 0 launch retard and it does nothing but flair it more at the drop of the button.
Any suggestions ?
63Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Converter ?

Share your combo, results, & logger graph (if you have one) with your converter company, & take their advice. Lots of variables to consider like air & track conditions, fluid used, tranny gearing, power applied, tire size, rear gearing etc. Good luck.
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $1,950
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $5,950
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
SBP436
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Futura View Post
Having some converter issues and looking for opinions before purchasing another one or getting mine changed
Combo is 438ci sbf making 750hp na spraying a 35 jet in a 3300lb car with 3.9s and 1.8 first running 1/4 mile only
Problem im having is the converter will flash to 6000-6300 depending on how much I spray on the hit but it 60fts slower the more I spray and lugs it down about 1.3 sec out
Have spoken to converter builder who suggests loosening it to stop it lugging down, does this sound right ?
Ive tried everything from 50% gas with 4deg launch retard to 80% gas with 0 launch retard and it does nothing but flair it more at the drop of the button.
Any suggestions ?
I AGREE WITH YOUR CONVERTER GUY.
SBP436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #4
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofo View Post
Share your combo, results, & logger graph (if you have one) with your converter company, & take their advice. Lots of variables to consider like air & track conditions, fluid used, tranny gearing, power applied, tire size, rear gearing etc. Good luck.
Thanks
I am working with my converter guy and have a few things to try before we pull it out
Unfortunately we don't have many NOS guys here so thought it was worth asking the question
Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 AM   #5
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP436 View Post
I AGREE WITH YOUR CONVERTER GUY.
Just a little worried it will do a similar thing just at higher rpm and also don't want it to slip anymore up top or ill probably need a gear change as well
Old 11-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
SBP436
Pullin gears

Quote:
Just a little worried it will do a similar thing just at higher rpm and also don't want it to slip anymore up top or ill probably need a gear change as well
ALL WE CAN DO IS TRY....
SBP436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
ChrisR
Spooled up

Quote:
TCE in Victoria did one for us. Lower 8 sec nitrous car. Stalled higher and slipped less. Made a big difference to our effort. Witchcraft.
ChrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #8
huggy_b
Pullin gears

Quote:
Any suggestions ?
Do you use Gonzo?
At the moment I've got my converter set-up for N/A but I fear it's going to flash too high with a 200 shot.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:16 AM   #9
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy_b View Post
Do you use Gonzo?
At the moment I've got my converter set-up for N/A but I fear it's going to flash too high with a 200 shot.
Nah mate
We use TCE on everything and have had great results with boosted stuff
Im actually thinking about getting a bolt together from PTC so we can fine tune it
Old 11-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
carlie
Pullin gears

Need to look at rpm drop after shift with all nos on.
carlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
Mean Lx
Gas Passer
Smoked Another SBC

What size tire? What RPM do you shift and how far down do the RPM's drop when you shift? Are you using a progressive or just hitting it with all of the nitrous at once? I agree with your converter guy, it's lugging the engine down at 1.3 seconds cause the converter is starting to grab and you're only spraying about 325-350 hp. Couple that with an engine only making 750 hp and a car weighing 3300 lbs and that engine is screaming for help. lol If your engine is designed for more nitrous, throw a second kit on it at 0.8 or 0.9 tenths and see what happens.

Thanks to Tony Bischoff BES/Sam Vincent, Joey Martin/Tim Lyons, Induction Solutions, Casey Buschmeyer, and Bruce Oliver
Mean Lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Coloradoracer
Smoked another BBC

Higher stall doesn't always mean more slippage. It's all in how the converter is set up.....
www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Coloradoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Lx View Post
What size tire? What RPM do you shift and how far down do the RPM's drop when you shift? Are you using a progressive or just hitting it with all of the nitrous at once? I agree with your converter guy, it's lugging the engine down at 1.3 seconds cause the converter is starting to grab and you're only spraying about 325-350 hp. Couple that with an engine only making 750 hp and a car weighing 3300 lbs and that engine is screaming for help. lol If your engine is designed for more nitrous, throw a second kit on it at 0.8 or 0.9 tenths and see what happens.
28" radial , 1300-1500rpm drop depending on what rpm I shift at
Yes using a progressive which is all in by 1.2 sec
Its worse with more nitrous on the hit
Car goes 1.29 60ft with a 32 jet and 1.36 with a 35 jet and shows 300rpm more flash with the 35 jet and doesn't lug down on the 32 jet
Going to try more power earlier next weekend and see if we can get it to work a little better before pulling it out , my try leave on everything and see what it does
Old 11-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
63Futura
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoracer View Post
Higher stall doesn't always mean more slippage. It's all in how the converter is set up.....
Understand but was told it will effect top end rpm as well by converter guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
Coloradoracer
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Understand but was told it will effect top end rpm as well by converter guy
A converter can have a higher stall rating off the bottom, yet lock up better on the top end when configured to do so. More slippage = more rpm, where better lockup (less slippage) = lower rpm. A lot of the really good converter guys can build them now to do pretty much anything they want, it's all in the design. Higher stall off the line will not always result in higher finish line rpm. For bracket racing, looser tends to be a little more consistent in many cases, but is still combo dependent. Different converter guys will give you different input on your stuff too. I'd suggest calling a few and just talking with them. Doesn't mean you have to buy from them, you can still use your guy, but a lot of time they have valuable info that can help.
www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Coloradoracer is offline   Reply With Quote