Take a quick look at these plugs please - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #16
Geoff
Pullin gears

Default Re: Take a quick look at these plugs please

I don't know why you need colder plugs than -5s, the factory heat range. The car is not being circle tracked raced, where the plugs would see continuous high rpm operation...& more heat.

Plus, you have alum heads that remove heat more quickly than iron heads, so you would want a hotter plug to maintain tip temperature within working limits.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #17
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Anything with more than stock power usually starts to get a colder plug. My slow ass SBC383 is 10.25:1 and makes about 400hp, it runs mint on NGK -7's. Old ass AFR 195cc aluminum heads. Never ever fouls a plug. What gain is there to running a hot plug? Trying to make-up for a bad tune?
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #18
SBP436
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I don't know why you need colder plugs than -5s, the factory heat range. The car is not being circle tracked raced, where the plugs would see continuous high rpm operation...& more heat.

Plus, you have alum heads that remove heat more quickly than iron heads, so you would want a hotter plug to maintain tip temperature within working limits.
LMAOOOO
SBP436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 AM   #19
Geoff
Pullin gears

Laugh all you want & show your ignorance.

If you read the OPs post, he ran the same with -5 & -6 plugs. From the description, it is a street car that gets drag raced occasionally. You want the hottest plug the engine will tolerate without causing pre-ign so that the plugs do not load up when idling/cruising.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #20
Warp Speed
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

If you read the OPs post, he ran the same with -5 & -6 plugs. From the description, it is a street car that gets drag raced occasionally. You want the hottest plug the engine will tolerate without causing pre-ign so that the plugs do not load up when idling/cruising.
Actually, you want the coldest plug that will not allow fouling. That is, unless you have access to a system that can properly test for pre ingnition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun40119 View Post
My name isn't Jake........and I don't have a red chevelle. I am a keyboard junkie, in my mom's basement, with no pants on.
Warp Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
Actually, you want the coldest plug that will not allow fouling. That is, unless you have access to a system that can properly test for pre ingnition.
I'm with you!
Old 11-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
CATCRACKER72
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
Anything with more than stock power usually starts to get a colder plug. My slow ass SBC383 is 10.25:1 and makes about 400hp, it runs mint on NGK -7's. Old ass AFR 195cc aluminum heads. Never ever fouls a plug. What gain is there to running a hot plug? Trying to make-up for a bad tune?
Thats awesome! LMAO.

He wants the hottest plug.. ok there.. maybe in his Prius..
CATCRACKER72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #23
SBP436
Pullin gears

Quote:

LMOOOOOO
SBP436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #24
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCRACKER72 View Post
Thats awesome! LMAO.

He wants the hottest plug.. ok there.. maybe in his Prius..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
wingnutks
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
This makes the most sense to me. I dont have anyway to detect knock other than plugs so the safer the better.
Also, might be my inexperience showing but on brand new plugs how does a hotter plug make more horsepower? These arent supposed to be glow plugs right? When the plug fires is when the fuel should ignite, so shouldnt it not really matter how cold the plug is as long as it doesnt foul from idling around? Basically shouldnt the car run the same on the track with a -5 plug compared to a -10 plug?

[email protected]
wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote