Oil choice for hydraulic roller lifters - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 AM   #31
rick90lx
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Oil choice for hydraulic roller lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS View Post
Having to adjust a HYD lifter one full turn does not make any sense.

I figured that out when I switched over to my link bar lifters. I had always used 1/2 a turn past zero lash on all my old Ford Motorsport lifters and realized it took 1 full turn to quiet these down. Other than that, I never had any other problems.
Super Vic

Extreme automatics TH400
UCC converter
Holley Dominator EFI
rick90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #32
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick90lx View Post
I figured that out when I switched over to my link bar lifters. I had always used 1/2 a turn past zero lash on all my old Ford Motorsport lifters and realized it took 1 full turn to quiet these down. Other than that, I never had any other problems.

With a full turn down its not an anti pump up lifter. Years ago you never had to do this with the Morels something has changed for the BAD,
CNC BLOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #33
WoundUp
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed1 View Post
As others have said the Morel lifters used to be quiet with any decent oil now they are prone to noise issues.

There are plenty of hydraulic lifters that do just fine particularly in street engines running under 7000 rpm, no reason to purchase a lifter that is moody and oil sensitive.

It can't be that the oil changed even though it's common knowledge that it has. It's gotta be the lifters. how is that even logical?
WoundUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #34
engineguy
Smoked another BBC

The only function of oil, as far as hydraulic valve lifters are concerned, is to fill the reservoir below the plunger (which results on .000" valve lash), as the lifter goes through the base circle of the camshaft lobe. The clearance between the plunger and the lifter body must be close enough to insure that the plunger opens the valve without losing too much oil. If the clearance is too great then an excessive amount of oil is lost and the valvetrain makes noise. The only time that oil can be blamed for hydraulic lifter noise is when the oil is too thick (high viscosity) and cannot flow freely into the lifter body - especially when the engine temperature is below the normal operating temp.
10W30 is the highest viscosity oil that I use in ANY engine with hydraulic lifters.

SAE Member (29+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
- Theodore Roosevelt
engineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #35
Polyalphaolefin
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineguy View Post
The only function of oil, as far as hydraulic valve lifters are concerned, is to fill the reservoir below the plunger (which results on .000" valve lash), as the lifter goes through the base circle of the camshaft lobe. The clearance between the plunger and the lifter body must be close enough to insure that the plunger opens the valve without losing too much oil. If the clearance is too great then an excessive amount of oil is lost and the valvetrain makes noise. The only time that oil can be blamed for hydraulic lifter noise is when the oil is too thick (high viscosity) and cannot flow freely into the lifter body - especially when the engine temperature is below the normal operating temp.
10W30 is the highest viscosity oil that I use in ANY engine with hydraulic lifters.
Also if the oil becomes aerated as the air compresses, the plunger bottoms out, and the lifter makes noise.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #36
bottlefed1
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundUp View Post
It can't be that the oil changed even though it's common knowledge that it has. It's gotta be the lifters. how is that even logical?
Non racing oil has a lot less zinc than it used to....this can cause wear particularly on flat tappet cams but is not a cause of noisy hydraulic lifters on cams/lifters that are not wiped, plus many of those experiencing noise are using racing oil....Also other brands of lifters that were quiet years ago are still quiet now.

So yeah its a change in the lifters....this is very logical
bottlefed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #37
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed1 View Post
Non racing oil has a lot less zinc than it used to....this can cause wear particularly on flat tappet cams but is not a cause of noisy hydraulic lifters on cams/lifters that are not wiped, plus many of those experiencing noise are using racing oil....Also other brands of lifters that were quiet years ago are still quiet now.

So yeah its a change in the lifters....this is very logical

I have been saying that for a long long time, It would be interesting to find out just how much work is being farmed out and not being done in house any more.

Something has surly changed over the years.........
CNC BLOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #38
MN Hemi
The Phantom Machinist
Smoked another BBC

If you are required to use some specific oil or weight for a particular lifter, find a new lifter supplier. It’s 100% asinine to me, that lifters dictate the viscosity of the oil that the engine needs to run.
Oil weight requirement of an engine is determined by clearances, running temps, fuel, boost, engine application etc.

If someone were to tell me to build the engine around the oil that needs to be run with their lifters I’d tell them to chuck those moth*erf*kers in the trash can. That’s the dumbest shit I ever heard.

Yeah, let’s run 10-40 in a blown offshore engine because the lifter needs it. SMFH..

The Phantom Machinist
MN Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #39
NPS Nova
Smoked Another SBC

I agree with what these guts are saying too. It can NOT be just the oil centistoke or viscosity issue. It HAS to be a lifter issue. Why is it only a issue with the same oil in Morels and not others like Johnson for noise. Or when someone on here like Ron (MN Hemi) changes out just the lifters, and the noise goes away.

Also like Ron just said, choosing an engine oil solely on lifter requirements??? Really. We are trying the tight-lashed solid roller deals for a bit now to see how this work for us and our customers. For the $$$ one has to spend to get a GOOD hyd roller, why not just get a GOOD solid roller?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #40
NPS Nova
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hemi View Post
If someone were to tell me to build the engine around the oil that needs to be run with their lifters Iíd tell them to chuck those moth*erf*kers in the trash can.
LOL I did DO that with Morel Hyd roller. Gave the customer a set of GS for no cost IF he left them there. He looked at me like WHAT THE FUCK. I just said for us it's cheaper in the long run NOT to use those, and less hassles.

Guy picked them out of the trash and said he'll sell them. I said fine, pay me what you get for them and we'll be even.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #41
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

I have been told the Morel quality control on the parts they physically manufacture, machine, heat treat has not changed. But they started using inside components on their lower model hydraulic lifters, like Howards sells at about 1/3 less than the best lifters. Not the same tolerances as their own parts.
bigblockmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #42
[email protected]
Spooled up

Interesting to say the least. I personally spoke with reps at Crower and Isky this week and their hydraulic roller lifters are Johnson. Just FYI...which I'm sure most of you know.
jonesman1969@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #43
CDRoberts
remembers
Smoked another BBC

Its hard to believe that all Morel HR lifters are built with too much clearance somewhere in them that makes them tick. Maybe they are too close on tolerance and a vacuum like condition developes that doesnt allow the plunger to pump up properly unless one uses thin oil or the proper centistoke. Whatever the deal is, lets make America great again.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #44
tblentrprz
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hemi View Post
If you are required to use some specific oil or weight for a particular lifter, find a new lifter supplier. Itís 100% asinine to me, that lifters dictate the viscosity of the oil that the engine needs to run.
Oil weight requirement of an engine is determined by clearances, running temps, fuel, boost, engine application etc.

If someone were to tell me to build the engine around the oil that needs to be run with their lifters Iíd tell them to chuck those moth*erf*kers in the trash can. Thatís the dumbest shit I ever heard.

Yeah, letís run 10-40 in a blown offshore engine because the lifter needs it. SMFH..
That's some funny sh!t right there!
tblentrprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #45
1Azgerman
Smoked another BBC

I am running Howard’s 91162 hydraulic lifters in my 496 and they are quite no ticking sounds at all, these are (Morel 4603) currently breaking in engine and using Driven 5-30 break in oil. After I change out the break in oil I am going to use Mobil 1 - 10-30.

Steve
1Azgerman is online now   Reply With Quote