valve sping check - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: valve sping check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
The very longest lasting springs I have found for this application is Gold Stripe Isky Tool Room springs. They guarantee them to last 1000 racing miles. I have personally run them much farther and not lost more than a pound or two pressure. I have a couple sets in use on solid roller .705" lift cams as old as since 2001. Any other springs I tried back then lost pressure on the first pull to coil bind.
I had the best Isky springs in there with the old motor. Seen a lot of hard street miles and a few trips down the strip. Had the shop test them after 10 years when I tore it down and they were still close to when they installed them!
70ss540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
The very longest lasting springs I have found for this application is Gold Stripe Isky Tool Room springs. They guarantee them to last 1000 racing miles. I have personally run them much farther and not lost more than a pound or two pressure. I have a couple sets in use on solid roller .705" lift cams as old as since 2001. Any other springs I tried back then lost pressure on the first pull to coil bind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3V Performance View Post
By adding or removing shims to the tester. More then likely the pivot length does not match your rockers. Most common problem.
Yes, I removed shims on the checker to make the contact point just a tad to the inside of the roller. I use just the ends of my fingers to pull the checker after I make sure its squared up. Still reads 185 to 200 on the seat. I removed a rocker on the weakest one and checked for signs of an un-happy valve train. The roller and valve tip look perfect.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafornow View Post
To get mine to match, I had to really shorten it up. But i eventually got it to read within 5 lbs.
Yep, removed all the shims to get it close. 1.7 Jesel Mohawk rockers.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganpressley View Post
On the head checkers rarely match the pressure shown by a bench checker, everyone I have seen and used indicated less pressure than the spring will check on an accurate bench checker. I would suggest you remove one spring and have it checked on a quality bench checker. If the one spring is "good", reinstall it and compare the rest with your on the head checker.

As for on the head checkers, the Buxton Engineering model is as good as it gets.

If you decide to replace your springs, I strongly recommend buying a name brand spring, not some reboxed generic that is supposed to be like an actual quality part. Valve springs are not a good place to skimp.

There are several high quality spring manufacturers to choose from. PSI is top of the food chain as far as something a "lay person" can buy. PAC also has some decent stuff. The Manley Nextek's and Isky Tool Room's are both produced by reputable manufacturers.
The springs are from Chris Straub. Its his cam also. According to him they are made by Associated Spring and are basically Manley Nexteks. No doubt I should have bench tested them before installing. I set them up to be .050 to .060 from coil bind. According to the chart, they should be 255-260 where I have them installed. Looks like about a 20% loss if they really were at 255 originally and they really are at 185-200 right now.
I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. They are all showing about the same right now. If I show any more loss, it'll be time to dig into it further.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ss540 View Post
The springs are from Chris Straub. Its his cam also. According to him they are made by Associated Spring and are basically Manley Nexteks. No doubt I should have bench tested them before installing. I set them up to be .050 to .060 from coil bind. According to the chart, they should be 255-260 where I have them installed. Looks like about a 20% loss if they really were at 255 originally and they really are at 185-200 right now.
I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. They are all showing about the same right now. If I show any more loss, it'll be time to dig into it further.
Do yourself a favor and remove two and test the on the bench. Check the installed height while you're at it.

I thought my PAC springs had gone south, read low on the engine. Took 4 off, tested them on the bench with a brand new set I bought just in case I needed them. They were IDENTICAL to my new springs! I had looked-up the specs on the springs also so I knew what they should have read on the bench, which they did.

This is the type of tester I use when I can't get to the local bench top one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66835/overview/

It is actually pretty good. I only check an inner or outer, never combined. Plus you have to remember to either use your retainer or know the height of the step for the inner spring so you compress it enough. That .1 inch you kinda forget about is usually worth at least 20lbs........

My local guy has a Rimac and we have compared it to that little tester and found that cheapo but scary to use tester is pretty decent. Wouldn't use it for a living, but for a quick check, it is fine.
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #21
bigblockmark
Smoked another BBC

What about the Moroso on head spring testers. They come in 2 different ranges, I think.
bigblockmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #22
Warp Speed
Smoked Another SBC

http://www.buxtonengineering.com/on_...ing_tester.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun40119 View Post
My name isn't Jake........and I don't have a red chevelle. I am a keyboard junkie, in my mom's basement, with no pants on.
Warp Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #23
Coloradoracer
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
Damn that's nice but they are certainly proud of it!!!
www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Coloradoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #24
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Thats a nice piece of equipment there...$$$.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #25
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Damn, that bench tester is really baddass!! Watch the video. I just have to hit one of these scratch-off lottery tickets and that bitch is mine!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
Cobra720
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockmark View Post
What about the Moroso on head spring testers. They come in 2 different ranges, I think.
My Moroso Valve spring tester was off (Low) by almost 40lbs. I did my own calibration by having the springs tested by a good engine machinist at install Ht., installing them on my heads and bending the pointer to match the seat pressure. I now just keep an eye on them for any changes. It's not perfect but I'm close.
Cobra720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #27
AA Performance
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra720 View Post
My Moroso Valve spring tester was off (Low) by almost 40lbs. I did my own calibration by having the springs tested by a good engine machinist at install Ht., installing them on my heads and bending the pointer to match the seat pressure. I now just keep an eye on them for any changes. It's not perfect but I'm close.
I have the LSM and Moroso, and find the Moroso easier to get more consistent readings. The LSM varies too much with they way and angle you pull on it. I measure the installed height, take the spring off and test the pressure on the bench, put it back in and calibrate the tester to suit. Moroso mechanical seems to be way more consistent.
AA Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #28
JasonG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Damn, that bench tester is really baddass!! Watch the video. I just have to hit one of these scratch-off lottery tickets and that bitch is mine!
If you donít have someone local to check springs for you(or just a hassle to find time to drop off/pickup), I donít mind checking a few springs for you. I just have a lowly Rimac manual tester though. Just cover the shipping.

Jason G.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 AM   #29
Straight Shooter
Pullin gears

Garage

Quote:
If they are supposed to be 300-700 and are really are down to 200 pounds you are way past the danger zone. Mine set up at 440 and when they get to 400 they will break in just a few more runs. When springs can't control the lifters and valves anymore, stuff starts breaking in short order.
Straight Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #30
70ss540
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
If you donít have someone local to check springs for you(or just a hassle to find time to drop off/pickup), I donít mind checking a few springs for you. I just have a lowly Rimac manual tester though. Just cover the shipping.

Jason G.
I just purchased and LSM bench tester. Should have it today.
Thanks for offer Jason!