Tire shake help - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Top Sportsman/Top Dragster

Top Sportsman/Top Dragster Talk about Top Sportsman and Top Dragster racing with censorship...

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #31
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Tire shake help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkdragster View Post
M/T 3195 /3196 .... trust me .....
THIS,,
you may have to purchase 16" dia. 16" wide wheels if you don't have them already. but it will be the best money and time spent.. Get the Big Bubbas and go racing... You can tune the car to work with any tire but if you want consistency and quick 60ft, and reaction times get these tires..
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #32
Cynic
Too Strong, For Too Long.
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
THIS,,
you may have to purchase 16" dia. 16" wide wheels if you don't have them already. but it will be the best money and time spent.. Get the Big Bubbas and go racing... You can tune the car to work with any tire but if you want consistency and quick 60ft, and reaction times get these tires..
That too.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #33
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

Turn up the rpm on the leave. We shake at 4800. Hauls ass leaving at 5400. Throw more power at it.

^^^ This.

Not to start an argument, but I don't agree with your shock adjustments. From my experience and working directly with Jerry bickel, you should stiffen the extension which will not allow the tire to plant as hard and loosen the compression which will not allow the car to transfer as much weight into rear tire which translates into more wheel speed.

^^^ And This.

"Been there, done that". Our combo is a 1.80 tranny gear x 4.57 rear gear, & it can be sketchy especially on tighter tracks making adequate wheel speed, i.e. on launch / off the starting line, in a 2900# car with Fulton 718 n20 combo Coan tranny & converter. 1/8 mile application.

Good luck.
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $1,950
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $5,950
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #34
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan beavans View Post
Not to start an argument, but I don't agree with your shock adjustments. From my experience and working directly with Jerry bickel, you should stiffen the extension which will not allow the tire to plant as hard and loosen the compression which will not allow the car to transfer as much weight into rear tire which translates into more wheel speed.
This is correct...
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #35
mrdragster1970
T/S 368E
Smoked Another SBC

There is some great info in this thread. Some real smart guys explain a lot of things that might help!!!!

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=162937

For my babies, we will always remember.
In memory of Chris
Costa, you will never meet a nicer guy. I will never forget your kindness, when I needed it.
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #36
bottlefed1
Smoked Another SBC

No one asked about wheel speed which surprises me, but I am sure its too low so I suspect you are driving over (murdering) the tire.

That said,

A great tuning tool is a camera that will shoot 240 frames per second.

This will allow you to see exactly what the tire and suspension are doing when you launch.

By studying the motion of the axle/car/front suspension movement you will be able to see what is taking place on your car.

In your case you would probably see your axle departing the wheelwell and the rim smashing your tire into the track all before the body has a chance to squat or the front suspension has a chance to extent.

So as that happens you will see the tire ball up and then the balled up sections of the tire getting trapped under the rim....this is the point where you will start rattling your teeth all before the rear body has squatted or the front suspension extended.

If this is the case the first thing I would do is to tighten the extension to lessen separation of the axle then you may be fine or you may have to lower air pressure to lessen traction to allow wheel speed to be developed.

These two things (along with four link settings, I am assuming they are reasonable for your car) will IMO play the biggest role in the very beginning of the launch.

Last but not least if the shocks are damaged no amount of knob turning will provide results.
bottlefed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
mrdragster1970
T/S 368E
Smoked Another SBC

What the hell am I chopped liver, I just posted wheel speed right before you.

For my babies, we will always remember.
In memory of Chris
Costa, you will never meet a nicer guy. I will never forget your kindness, when I needed it.
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #38
bottlefed1
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdragster1970 View Post

Sorry did not cricky linky

But yeah what that mrdragster guy said.... wheel speed
bottlefed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #39
gatsby1219
Void
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottracingheads View Post
Turn up the rpm on the leave. We shake at 4800. Hauls ass leaving at 5400. Throw more power at it.

Correct, shake, not enough power, spin, too much.
gatsby1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #40
TommyP.
Pullin gears

Who is right or what works best? Chris Bell (McAmis U-tube) tells tight on compression not so tight on extension for good tracks, Bickel tells tight on extension and lose on compression.
What are real world experience and works with set ups?
Tommy
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #41
dino17
TD 3550
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdragster1970 View Post

Don't feel bad>> "Chopped Liver here too at the house" lol
dino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #42
midnightbluS10
Shrewd Negotiator
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed1 View Post
No one asked about wheel speed which surprises me, but I am sure its too low so I suspect you are driving over (murdering) the tire.

That said,

A great tuning tool is a camera that will shoot 240 frames per second.

This will allow you to see exactly what the tire and suspension are doing when you launch.

By studying the motion of the axle/car/front suspension movement you will be able to see what is taking place on your car.

In your case you would probably see your axle departing the wheelwell and the rim smashing your tire into the track all before the body has a chance to squat or the front suspension has a chance to extent.

So as that happens you will see the tire ball up and then the balled up sections of the tire getting trapped under the rim....this is the point where you will start rattling your teeth all before the rear body has squatted or the front suspension extended.

If this is the case the first thing I would do is to tighten the extension to lessen separation of the axle then you may be fine or you may have to lower air pressure to lessen traction to allow wheel speed to be developed.

These two things (along with four link settings, I am assuming they are reasonable for your car) will IMO play the biggest role in the very beginning of the launch.

Last but not least if the shocks are damaged no amount of knob turning will provide results.

We must not be reading the same thread. It was first mentioned 9 months ago. August of 2017 and multiple times after that and before you posted. Did you read the thread at all? Or let me guess... You only read a couple of replies and skipped 90% of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC5701TD View Post
Sounds to me like you're murdering the tire and need to increase wheel speed. As mentioned before, you can stiffen compression and/or speed up (loosen) rebound. Don't know how your rear suspension is setup, but if it is 4-link, you can raise the top bar at the front 1 hole up to lengthen the IC and increase wheel speed that way as well.
posted 8/23/2017

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 05-12-2018 at 06:22 PM.
midnightbluS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #43
tempname
Smoked Another SBC

I grew into my problem again.
Running the Hoosier 18367C07 with no rim screws.
Have run from 6.2 to 6.8 psi.
I was fine until tracks started getting hot and I started bracket racing the turbo combo. If I just want to get a great time out of the car, I lean on the trans brake until it makes all the boost it is going to make on the two step, and let her rip. Smooth as silk to 7.14 so far on the 4 link car.
But bracket racing is a little different. I can't leave with as much boost because of the nature of bracket racing staging. So the car rolls out 12' or so and shakes for another 50'. More pressure seemed to make it worse.
A great resource mentioned stiffening the shock (seems like most here reccomend stiffening just the extension so it does not plant as quickly/well), and dropping to more like 4.5 psi and maybe as low as 4.0. Anyone run these tires that can tell me if they like this? It seems to make sense. I just have never run a tire that low on pressure. Is the method to run them down on pressure to get plenty of wheel speed, then start creeping back up on it to see what it will tolerate pressure wise before shaking?
I do have a data logger and can start looking at early wheel speeds.
tempname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #44
SAMMY CHRISTIAN
Pullin gears

Garage

tire pressure down will get wheel speed. 12'-50' shake is because it lost wheelspeed after the hit. problem is, lower pressure may make too much at the hit, when you actually need to apply more power (with the original set-up) instead.
timing, timing, timing.
SAMMY CHRISTIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #45
86Bigblockbird
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP. View Post
Who is right or what works best? Chris Bell (McAmis U-tube) tells tight on compression not so tight on extension for good tracks, Bickel tells tight on extension and lose on compression.
What are real world experience and works with set ups?
Tommy
My experience, if I need more traction (slick/greasy track) Iíll loosen the compression to allow the car to squat more which means more and faster weight transfer to the rear tire and tighten extension to keep the weight from transferring back forward longer.
On a really good/tight track Iíll tighten the compression so the car doesnít squat and transfer as much weight and loosen the extension to let the weight transfer back forward earlier.