Destroked LS, how did yours perform - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > LSX, Mod Motor and Gen III Hemi Tech

Old 11-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
99french
Pre-Staged

Default Destroked LS, how did yours perform

looking at using a ls2 block and 4.8 crank I picked up a while back. I was wondering how these have been holding up. High winding small block with some nitrous for added fun. It will be in my 99 6spd trans am.
Where did you get your pistons from? Where did you find wear when torn down? I would probably be using the lunati voodoo 6.300 connecting rods.
99french is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
gnx7
Pullin gears

Default Re: Destroked LS, how did yours perform

Define high winding RPM's? What intake manifold do you plan to run?

A 3.622 stroke crank will spin to 9000rpm..... all you are doing with the 3.27" crank is giving up torque.

I bought a 358ci motor that was 4.185" bore with 3.27" stroke used in a Bonneville Salt flats top speed S10 pickup and it spun to 9000rpm+ built by Kurt Urban/Kixmiller Racing. You better have a killer set of heads and intake manifold plus oiling system to take advantage of those RPM's.

https://www.lsxmag.com/features/inte...at-bonneville/

If you want the 3.27" stroke Magnum crank and Howard rods PM me. I put in a 4" stroke to make it a 441ci and spin it to 7500-8000rpm and gained probably 80rwtq+ in the process.
2015 project: 1969 Chevelle, alum 5.3 GTS76, Chiseled A/W, T56Mag,9", full cromo cage, 25mpg, a/c, p/s, full interior, 9'[email protected] goal.
***Retailer for Tremec, McLeod, Holley, Molnar, Ohlins, Wilwood, BrianTooleyRacing parts
gnx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
99french
Pre-Staged

8000-8500 is where I was wanting to spin it. Intake I have had my eye on the Brian Tooley Racung cast intake. As for heads I have a set of ported 243s I was going to use but may get a set of AFR or TFS instead.
You sir have some amazing builds
Old 12-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Suicidal Racing
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
Smoked Another SBC

if your going to do it put ported rec ports or have a set of ls7 heads redone with smaller exh valves.then id use the cid intake on it..ive thought about doing this myself but like most mention a 6.0 can turn 8k no issue if you have the right valve train and oiling system..

Suicidal Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
DarkMatter
Pullin gears

Between us I think the Liberty Ls3 heads are the deal of the yr. $400 each 11 degrees and a good casting. The SPS haymaker .....same casting with a CNC port.
Forgiveness is between you/your engine and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting. Nobody could'a did that like you, man, Congratulations. Never cease to amaze me, it's just amazing. It's amazing how I tell you, for a brilliant motherfucker you plum dumb sometimes
Quote:
Jobs are for lazy people who donít want to invest in themselves. As it's not considered work doing what you love.
Project Fentanyl 408
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
99french
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMatter View Post
Between us I think the Liberty Ls3 heads are the deal of the yr. $400 each 11 degrees and a good casting. The SPS haymaker .....same casting with a CNC port.
Sure beats the Frankenstein heads for 4K. My ported ls6 heads flow about 315 cfm at .600 and it still amazes me how much these factory castings flow. I wish I could fit one of the CID or nice Mast intakes within my engine bay and without cutting the cowl and ditching the wipers. But thatís what Iím working with.

Is there any difference in longevity by using a h-beam vs I-beam connecting rod?
I talked with my machinist and I might be putting some 4.125 sleeves in the block too.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM   #7
Launch
Banksters Paradise
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

If your engine is out, you can carefully cut out the cowl in one piece.. by making a cut across the top and continuing it underneath, then fab some brackets to it so it can bolt back in. And the wipers go back in all like standard, and work, if you ever want. I did it to my 4th gen so i can work on the engine easier when needed. Plus if i decide to run a CID intake i can un bolt the cowl and wipers and do so, but the car isn't permanently butchered and without wipers.
Launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM   #8
Launch
Banksters Paradise
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

2 years later in 2018....... cowl and wipers bolted back in and working 100%

Just earlier this year, cowl/wipers removed again to fit tall valve covers ..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #9
Launch
Banksters Paradise
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Also the cowl piece and all the wipers stuff removes a good bit of weight for when you want to race the car.

I just need a glass hood and my car should sit under 3000lbs going off of what i've removed so far. But our aussie dollar is shit and the gst/taxes and shipping something that big, make a glass hood end up 2k here, maybe even a bit over, so i'll stick to engine mods because amazon and others can ship some of the parts and they don't charge overly ridiculous.

Using eBay USA now is gone. They're adding 25% tax for aussies with their global shipping on some items, to the item price, then shipping cost on top of that. They're just conning us all.. and there's no law against it. They call it extra fees for collecting GST. GTFO. Fuck you ebay, never again unless it's a major one off impossible to purchase elsewhere item. And even then i'll think twice.

Last edited by Launch; Yesterday at 07:23 AM.