Dragster Wing Struts - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Top Sportsman/Top Dragster

Top Sportsman/Top Dragster Talk about Top Sportsman and Top Dragster racing with censorship...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
tempname
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,297
Default Dragster Wing Struts

I found a wing (s&w), but I need to fabricate or buy struts and weld tabs to the chassis. I don't mind fabricating them. But I'm having trouble finding pictures that clearly show the strut design. I would like to keep it reasonably low and not have it extend beyond the rear tires to help with trailer room.
Any pictures or sites that would have pictures to help?
tempname is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
dino17
TD 3550
Smoked another BBC
 
dino17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,686
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname View Post
I found a wing (s&w), but I need to fabricate or buy struts and weld tabs to the chassis. I don't mind fabricating them. But I'm having trouble finding pictures that clearly show the strut design. I would like to keep it reasonably low and not have it extend beyond the rear tires to help with trailer room.
Any pictures or sites that would have pictures to help?

I will see if i get some pics from a friends car on the mounting. I know on his car, it was too aggressive even set @ 0
dino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
dino17
TD 3550
Smoked another BBC
 
dino17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,686
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

He has the same issue, sits too far back. With his wing, he has to disconnect the front struts and swing it forward while in the 28' trailer. PITA.. Ever thought of a Mono?. This a suspended or HT?
dino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Supe
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
Supe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

S&W sells a couple of kits - 05-028 for dragsters, 06-028 for altereds.

Keep in mind, exposed tubing and hardware is very draggy from an aero perspective (streamlined tubing is better, but expensive), so consider some solid aluminum uprights in lieu of tubular struts/diagonal supports if there's room to attach it.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
tempname
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino17 View Post
He has the same issue, sits too far back. With his wing, he has to disconnect the front struts and swing it forward while in the 28' trailer. PITA.. Ever thought of a Mono?. This a suspended or HT?
I wanted a mono strut. But the car is suspended with the shock on top right where the mono would mount.
tempname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
tempname
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
S&W sells a couple of kits - 05-028 for dragsters, 06-028 for altereds.

Keep in mind, exposed tubing and hardware is very draggy from an aero perspective (streamlined tubing is better, but expensive), so consider some solid aluminum uprights in lieu of tubular struts/diagonal supports if there's room to attach it.

Trying to visualize the aluminum uprights.
tempname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
dino17
TD 3550
Smoked another BBC
 
dino17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,686
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

. On mine with the strange rear, i fabricated a plate and it sits right above the rear of the trans. This is the one i have.
https://racecraftchassis.com/wings-2/
dino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #8
tempname
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino17 View Post
. On mine with the strange rear, i fabricated a plate and it sits right above the rear of the trans. This is the one i have.
https://racecraftchassis.com/wings-2/
I intended on using that one. But no room to mount it with the spring in the way.
tempname is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #9
Supe
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
Supe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Dragster Wing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname View Post
Trying to visualize the aluminum uprights.
Take a look at just about any road racing car with a rear wing. Many adjust by moving holes, some have fine adjustment by using a small double adjustable clevis on the back hole. The thinner any protrusion are on the underside of the airfoil, the more efficient the wing will be.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 0%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.