Home made nitrous bottle heaters, let's see 'em... - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #46
onefast68
RED ROCKET
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Home made nitrous bottle heaters, let's see 'em...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that is something i have never done.
onefast68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #47
bdg
Smoked another BBC

Is the disassociation of molecules some freak thing like getting struck by lightning or is it something to worry about.
bdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #48
gary medders
Smoked Another SBC

Here's one I made out of eighth in. aluminum, with a $15 bolt in heating
element fom Home Depot. I raised the floor about two-three inchs above the
heating element. Think I ended up with about seventy bucks in the thing.
Holds three bottles.

Originally Posted by arca54
the way of the world .....if I don't like it you shouldn't either!
gary medders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #49
cyipher
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBlockNova View Post

Works mint...
Does that have some sort of temp sensor in it?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #50
bottlefed1
Smoked Another SBC

I read about a guy slipped and fell in the shower once and knocked himself out and drowned.....

Yeah that sucks but I am not trying to get the bathtub outlawed. There will always be freak accidents.

Fortunately in this country there will also always be safety standards for compressed gases, I will follow the established safety standards for compressed gases established by experts in the field with real freaking engineering degrees, not some weenies who based his information off what someone said happened or his own conclusions based off several accident reports he read on the internet.

PS to the person who asked about bottle certification, this is done by placing the bottle to be tested in a water vessel (tank) and adding x amount of pressure over normal limits then measuring the expansion of the tank. This is done by measuing the rise in water level in the test vessel, while the test uses above normal pressures it does not use huge pressures that weaken the tank, if any significant amount of deflection is seen during testing the tank fails the test so the testing does not damage the tank as it is not stretched past safe limits. Please note this test only serves to measure flexion due to normal stress in a pressure vessel (bottle) it will not safely detect localized weak spots caused by overheating from using a torch to heat a bottle and keeping the flame at one point to long, this kind of damage is often not detectable (burnt paint etc) so if in doubt get new bottles, also any gouges in a tank are cause for immediate removal from service, I do not know how many times I have seen aluminum bottles with deep gouges being filled or heated by those who do not know better.

Last edited by bottlefed1; 01-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
bottlefed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #51
craig w.
Launchin

For you guys using 10# bottles, you should give the Nitrousaurus-X a look. They heat and cool and maintain the bottle temp within 1 degree of the set point. No more ice rags or keeping a hot box full of water. You can run them in the lanes without fear of draining your battery. I can set you up for $250+shipping. E-mail me at [email protected]
'16 OSCA NTS Champion
[email protected]

Sponsors:
Fast Shafts
AEM Electronics--get your data loggers here
TRZ Motorsports
Carnivore Performance--stop babysitting your nitrous bottles
Bradco Converters
Rapp Racing
craig w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #52
Lafnbowtie
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Do not heat the bottle pressure above 1000 lbs.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=29
X2 on an ignorant post.
Lafnbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #53
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed1 View Post
I read about a guy slipped and fell in the shower once and knocked himself out and drowned.....

Yeah that sucks but I am not trying to get the bathtub outlawed. There will always be freak accidents.

Fortunately in this country there will also always be safety standards for compressed gases, I will follow the established safety standards for compressed gases established by experts in the field with real freaking engineering degrees, not some weenies who based his information off what someone said happened or his own conclusions based off several accident reports he read on the internet.

PS to the person who asked about bottle certification, this is done by placing the bottle to be tested in a water vessel (tank) and adding x amount of pressure over normal limits then measuring the expansion of the tank. This is done by measuing the rise in water level in the test vessel, while the test uses above normal pressures it does not use huge pressures that weaken the tank, if any significant amount of deflection is seen during testing the tank fails the test so the testing does not damage the tank as it is not stretched past safe limits. Please note this test only serves to measure flexion due to normal stress in a pressure vessel (bottle) it will not safely detect localized weak spots caused by overheating from using a torch to heat a bottle and keeping the flame at one point to long, this kind of damage is often not detectable (burnt paint etc) so if in doubt get new bottles, also any gouges in a tank are cause for immediate removal from service, I do not know how many times I have seen aluminum bottles with deep gouges being filled or heated by those who do not know better.
You call me “weenies”. Why is that? What good does it do you, to criticize me? If it impresses your associates, they are not your friends.

Your effort to disrespect me impugns the accident reports in the links I provided and disrespects everyone who would benefit from reading the information.

The linked accident reports you ridicule are written by “experts in the field with real freaking engineering degrees”. You obviously haven’t read them, or understand them if you did read them, or you could not have your imprudent attitude.

On the other hand, your description of the bottle testing in recertification is right on the mark.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafnbowtie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti
Do not heat the bottle pressure above 1000 lbs.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=29
X2 on an ignorant post.
“ignorant” means to ignore. To be ignorant requires a conscious choice to ignore. I am choosing not to ignore simple nitrous safety practices and I suggest others should not ignore them either.

1: Avoid heating bottles above the critical temperature of 97.5° F.

It is counter-productive anyway and not in your best interest for performance so why bother when it increases the possibility of an explosive dissociation event.

97.5° F is 1050 PSI. Nitrous doesn’t flow as much mass through the system when the bottle is over 97.5°. Several people in this forum have reported their data logs show less pressure drop during a run if you start at a lower pressure so why bother? Leave some room for error and don’t’ go over 1000 PSI.

2: Take care not to open ball valves rapidly.

Rapid compression of nitrous when the pressure suddenly rushes into a closed line has been proven (by NASA and other “experts in the field with real freaking engineering degrees”) to be the source of ignition in several explosive events. One more will be too many.

3: Do not over fill bottles.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #55
fofo
Smoked Another SBC

Yeti, thanks for reminding me on #2, i.e. not to open ball valves too quickly.
'69 Camaro Yenko SC - Back Half / NHRA 25.2 / Stock Front Suspension - Fulton 718 & N20
337-781-4443
[email protected]
Lafayette, LA 70508

FOR SALE: $2,000
Stainless Headers (under car) 2 1/4" & 4" Merge Collector, by The Fab Shop for tube chassis car, BBC;

FOR SALE: $6,000
3 Stage n20 CFE Intake. Dual Split Carbs by David Cook DC Carbs. Was on 5" BS 738 BBC 11.36 deck with Sonny Leonard Heads;
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #56
x275Nova
Pullin gears

idk what hes talkin bout i heat my bottles at 1500lbs everytime.

SLICKS
x275Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #57
bottlefed1
Smoked Another SBC

Yeti what I responded to was your original post stating that you should not heat bottles past 1000lbs.

This is pure horseshit, 99% of the time when a bottle is heated to 1000lbs the average temperature of the nitrous inside the bottle is only in the upper 80s so when you heat to 1000lbs the temp and pressure generally drop like a rock. I only use a pressure gauge as a safety back up in case my temp gun goes bad. What I do is to heat my bottle slowly removing and swirling to create an even temp within the bottle the temp I heat to is a function of ambient temps at the track and the expected wait in the lanes before the run. Anyone who has played the game a while follows a simalar procedure.

The primary definition of ignorant according to websters is
a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics>

As far as opening a ball valve slowly, I would agree wholeheartedly with that, ball valves were never designed for use on high pressure gas cylinders and using one on a gas capable of being used as a monopropellent is inherently dangerous.

While the guys at space ship one although kind of a wiggy off the grid sort of group are certainly some bright weenies...

Still I will stand by my original statement that when nitrous is handled in accordance with safe procedures set up over the years for other gases ( I don't recall any compressed gas society meeting where they advocate torching a bottle LOL) the chance of an accident is remote, certainly its one of the least dangerous aspects of our sport and this continued display of one bottle that blew when it was an old bottle that may have been gouged and appears to have been torched in a shop where welding was being conducted. And that was apparently opened into a deadhead hose that may have last contained who knows what ( gasoline maybe?) really is not relavent to heating a bottle past 1000psi in an approved bottle heater.

Ohh and PS nitrousuckas suckas ass, the ability of a peltier junction to heat or cool a 10lb bottle when supplied with a current of 100 watts is pathetic at best, for johny street racer who wants to keep his bottle ready to rice at any time hot or cold it may be fine but to heat nitrous at the track its far from ideal.

Yeti, I was not calling you a weenies (plural) that was aimed at some of the people who have helped generate these reports on spontaneous explosive mystery events. Sorry if you took it that way if I see you at the track I will buy you a yellow bullet hat or something...

Last edited by bottlefed1; 01-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.
bottlefed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #58
SmallBlockNova
aka Nova Joe
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyipher View Post
Does that have some sort of temp sensor in it?
It's got an adjustable thermostat on it...Takes about 15min to make the water warm, then I unplug it...Stays warm all day...Typically takes the bottle from ~600 up to 1000 in 10 minutes. I keep an eye on them and take them in/out before we get called up.

Al-Lee Motorsports - BAE - Resolution Racing - Ross Pistons - Quickdrive - Neal Chance -
Redline - New England Racefuels - Goodridge Hose - ASi Racewear - MSR
SmallBlockNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #59
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

Richard, I agree with you on the peltier. They consume a TON of power for what they do. They are certainly a very neat device, I make a product with them and have been using them for over three years now. If someone thinks that junction can heat a cool bottle, say from 60* to 90* without really draining the battery AND taking a long time, think again.

Now, there are a lot of cars that have them in their drink holders to either heat or cool the drinks, for that they are pretty cool. Most of these devices can not operate with over a 30* temp differential either. If you want to heat something, you can only raise the heat 30* from the cool side. If you don't have enough heat sink on the cool side it will flat-line. Same goes for cooling something, gotta get rid of the heat.

Still, really neat devices!
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #60
craig w.
Launchin

What needs to be kept in mind is the purpose of the Nitrousaurus-X. If you try to compare it to a hot bath, hot box, high watt band heater, etc for quick heating, sure its going to look slow. But that's not what its main purpose is. It'll heat from dead cold, but it takes time, about 45 minutes in most ambient temps. What its meant to do is maintain the bottle temp or recover between rounds if you're not putting in a fresh one. Does a very good job of that. I've been using one in the car and one in the trailer for about 4 years now. You don't have to over-heat the bottle to account for the time in the lanes or worry about how cool it'll get if there is an oil-down. It draws 5 amps and your battery can run that for well over 2 hours and still start the engine.
'16 OSCA NTS Champion
[email protected]

Sponsors:
Fast Shafts
AEM Electronics--get your data loggers here
TRZ Motorsports
Carnivore Performance--stop babysitting your nitrous bottles
Bradco Converters
Rapp Racing
craig w. is offline   Reply With Quote