Yellow Bullet Forums banner

88 Mustang Notch Now Nitrous Build

11K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  OEF14vette 
#1 ·
As the title says the car is a 1988 Ford Mustang LX notch my brother and I are building this year. We had an 82 GT hatch we were going to build but didn't feel like doing body work and paint along with building an engine, trans, rear end, cage and so on.. So we picked this roller up locally for a really good price. Intentions are to do a 370 inch twin turbo engine and either a TH400 or 4L80E we want to drag week the car. I will be updating this as often and detailed as possible. Goals are to make 1300-1450 RWHP on E85 and water meth. We picked 10 stick of Chromoly up for the cage and tubular front end I know we wont need all ten sticks but it was discounted for the quantity. We have full team Z Chromoly tubular k member and front suspension along with Strange Struts. If anyone has question ask away.

#31 ·
Its been a while since updating this, been extremely busy with work.. Havenot made a ton of progress but figured id share what little has happened.I ended up picking up a Southbend Model A 9 lathe for making small bushings andsuch. As well as tried my hand at designing, cutting, and fabbing my owncoilover brackets for the axle since I am using 3" tubes in my 8.8, I alsogot the floor pans cut open for the thru floor SFC so once their tacked in andI bend the #1 bar up it will start clipping right along now that I have sometime to actually focus on it.

#32 ·
Also jumped completely off the cliff in the engine department.. I scored a set of Gibtec Custom Billet pistons from a friend for dirt cheap that have 6 passes and dyno time on them for 4.125" boreX4.00" stroke so 427 Inch turbo engine it is. Figure ill pick a Dart LSnext block up and use Brodix BR7 LS7 style heads since that is what the pistons were made for. The pistons were swaped for higher compression since he switched to methanol. It will put me at 10.5-10.6:1 static so with E85 and meth injection I feel it will be in good shape. Pretty damn excited now though. Came with 2 brand new spare pistons just in case. The used slugs look brand new hardly any scuffing on the skirts at all and no marks or dings on the domes. The engine these came out of was Spec'd and built by Billy Briggs..

#35 ·
Nothing too crazy, lower torque boxes are in upper is tacked and starting to cut the factory tubs out to make room for the Wolfe Racecraft Large tubs. Lost all my pictures when my SD card shit the bed. I been pretty busy with side work, and remodeling the house. I picked a Plasma Table up so between that and doing some random tube work for cars I been busy with side jobs which is alright too just means more parts, right. I'll try snapping some progress pictures and get them thrown up here over the long weekend.

#36 ·
Havent worked on the car much at all just gathering parts. My 66 Rambler American Aluminum 5.3/4l80e swap and home remodeling has been consuming the majority of my time. But... directions have changed a bit for the blue car and we will be full steam ahead hammering the chassis work out, getting it certified and tagged and fingers crossed making passes by late fall. I am selling off all my LS stuff as we have switched plans to go race in DXP street class and simplify the combo a bit to be easier on the wallet and get back to the roots of why we do this and most importantly have fun with it. The car Is getting a glide with either a 1.80 or 1.69 planetary set and will obviously be on Nitrous. With that being said we will have to weigh at least 3150 lbs at the line so anyone following the class can probably guess or have an idea on what we have and are doing. I will add pictures as soon as I get some stuff done worthy of pic taking which should be here shortly. Cheers gents this build thread is about to get pretty cool. (In my opinion haha)

#37 ·
Well summer is here in Northern Wi. working on the car has been SLOWWWW... decided to fab a 9" from scratch and am just about wrapped up with that along with cutting and fabbing my own lower control arm brackets and shock mounts. The new Engine for the Mustang is a 430 cubic inch Donovan aluminum tall deck with raised roller bearing cam tunnel and widened pan rails with SB2.2 heads sitting on top. For the trans we tossed the TH400 plans and I ordered a BTE Top Sportsman glide with a 1.80 planetary and all the tricks in it. Here are a few pictures of the new stuff I including the team z drop spindles and wilwoods. I have the same brakes for the rear end of the car as well. The garage is getting air conditioning so I should have no excuse to not get out there once the kids are in bed anymore. Have a great Memorial Day gents.

Attachments

#38 ·
The Engine came from Vic Hill racing engines in TN. Was in a Longhorn chassis car and no longer legal for the class it is supposed to be in perfect shape and after pulling the oil pan and valley I'd say it is. Oliver rods, diamond pistons, lunati signature series crank all nice stuff inside and came with a petersen 4 stage dry sump. It made 837 hp and 687 ft lb thru a 4150 carb. We will be having a dominator built for it and running an m&m cast spider intake manifold. We will disassemble check all clearances and re ring, bearing and gasket it and adress any worm items if any. I am designing a 36-1 crank trigger to use IGN-1A smart coils for individual cylinder timing control with the MS3Pro. I am excited and feel this is going to be wayyy more fun out making passes then the original twin turbo monster we started to build. I just want to get out and make passes without costing a small fortune and I think this will be the ticket. My buddy has a 396 cubic inch sb2.2 on spray and ever since helping with that car I have a soft spot for these angry little small blocks.

#39 ·
Well small update car is finally off the back burner and getting the knife on it again. I FINALLY got the tubs fitted in just need to finish up the strip that goes against the outer quarter panel tomorrow night. Going to get the passenger side tacked in tonight then get the trunk area trimmed out and cleaned up the rest of the way and start bending tubing. It will be 25.5 chromoly and I plan to make the floor bars under the car instead of inside so its easier to drop it all down and weld the roof bars and top of the funny car cage area. Also got the windows cut out with the help of the wife and ordered front clear lexan and rear smoked and side windows smoked from innovative racecraft. The door windows will still roll up and down I just didn't want the glass for the safety aspect. Enjoy, ill do my best to keep this updated with progress from here out. It's been a long road and some long breaks taken in between but with my job and a family its just taken a bit longer. And I refuse to use credit to build a car so that at times slows us down.

#40 ·
Also decided to build a 9" housing myself for the car and design some 5 or 6 hole upper control arm mounts for infinite adjustment paired with the JCR torque boxes. I also have an aluminum 3rd member for it and 40 spline spool. Will be ordering axles once I know for certain the housing length. Little undercut on the backbrace to tube using the 1/16"filler not adding fast enough for the heat i was throwing at it but overall I'm happy with it thus far. Just want the car to be as nice as i can build it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.