Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Texas Legislature Sends Marijuana Legalization Bill To Governor Abbott

2K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  windhamjk 
#1 ·
Just read this. Two days ago the Texas state legislature sent a legal-marijuana bill to Texas Governor Greg Abbott for his signature - but at the last minute, Abbott vetoed it upon advice from several prominent doctors who advised that excessive use of weed can cause extreme constipation. Abbott concluded, "If you can't shit, get off the pot..." - and vetoed the bill.

In other breaking news, the AKC approved a few new dog cross breeds this week:

The Collie + the Lhasa Apso = the Collapso. Just fold him up for easy transport.

The Pekingese and the Lhasa Apso = the Peekasso, a rather artistic dog.

The common Terrier and the bulldog = the Terribull, not a dog you really want around the house.

The Malamute and the Pointer = the Moot Point, great for...uhh...well...umm....it doesn't matter anyway.

And the Bull Terrier/Shih'tsu mix. The AKC is open for suggestions on that one. :)

See less See more
#5 ·
In all seriousness, the general consensus is that if Texas wants to continue as a red state, it's going to have to pass some sort of legalization bill. Starting to be a real hot-button issue here. Shit or get off the pot, indeed. :) And although I don't use pot and I'm steadfast against hardcore narcotics, I believe throwing people in jail with felony charges for possessing a small amount of personal-use marijuana is insane.

#6 ·
its amazing how strict they are on weed, but you can buy beer at any gas station down there right ??? PA has beer distributes, more and more places are finally selling beer, but its not like every other state where you can just go into the gas station and get a 40

#7 ·
Constipation, really???? Never experienced or heard of that one.

#11 ·
I'd rather Tax-us do something to limit their out of control property taxes. Something similar to CA's prop 13 would be nice. Unfortunately, the reality is that at the end of the day, Tax-us is just another anti-2A, tax, spend and regulate state, just like CA.

I can understand the push to legalize weed so that it can't be used to drive all the lefty losers to the poll. However, Tax-us would be better served to do something about the voter fraud in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston.

#19 ·
LOL

Regarding Texas property tax, I don't know what they are in the big cities...where I am, the city values my property at $200K and the taxes run about $2800 annually. Not sure how that compares to places like Dallas. On the other hand, we don't have state income tax - so hopefully it balances out.

#32 ·
It's already effectively legal in Oklahoma. Medicinal use is nothing more than a sympathetic-sounding term to pacify people who are against pot use. Walk into the doc's office, pay 200 or so for your marijuana recommendation ("Doctor, I suffer from depression"), and have at it. I don't know what pot costs on the street but for high-grade bought from a dispensary they're getting $300/oz for it in Oklahoma.

#26 ·
To me, it's a slippery slope. We've all seen the bad side of readily available alcohol and tobacco, and yet governments, in the pursuit of taxes and votes, turns a blind eye to ANY of the downsides that are already known about pot. And if anybody actually believes young teenagers won't be smoking pot, they're either amazingly naive, or amazingly stupid. We were drinking at 13-14, when the "legal" age was 21, and smoking at even a younger age. Nothing the ******** have tried has ever worked to curb smoking or drinking, so why not just add to the problems and hope everything works out. OR, maybe this is just a plan by the elites to make everyone dumb and compliant. LOL

#40 ·
MJ legalization is nothing more than one of the best leftist scams of this century. I agree it increases tax revenue, the problem is that the states spend about 1.5X what they bring in. CA, OR, WA, CO for example all spend more money regulating the industry than the tax brings in in the first place so they are net negative. So it is pretty easy to see how the scam works. They put in on the ballot, garner way more votes for the left which moves the state even further to the left. Then the new law increases tax revenue which gives the leftists more money to expand the government/regulatory agencies. None of these states have reduced the tax burden on the common taxpayer and all of them are still deficit spending. You know that saying about a bank takes in $1M, it can loan out $10M? That is what the states are doing with every dime they get from MJ but on a take in $1M spend $1.5M ratio.

I am glad TX is avoiding it, it will be the death of the Red State if they do.

#45 ·
Your Governor wants the tax money. Liberals rail against cigarette smoking (isn't marijuana smoking, smoking?) yet NYC doesn't mind at all - each pack is taxed $5.85 and the state as a whole collected over $1 billion last year in cig taxes. Smoke away; let the taxpayers and the insurance companies pay for your cancer and emphysema treatments.

#46 ·
If you want you society to keep turning to shit - keep legalizing drugs!

For MOST people it won't matter, but for some...too many... It will lead to lives of sitting around smoking weed. Just like some people can't handle alcohol, some people are going to become hopelessly entangled in the drug culture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.