Yellow Bullet Forums

Yellow Bullet Forums (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trailers (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   room to tie down car (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2583233)

mrthinkshesfunny 06-24-2019 09:00 AM

room to tie down car

I'm looking at a trailer that has some built in cabinets that are taking up about 8' of the drivers side of the trailer. It would leave about 15" at the most to tie down my car. you can see the D rings ok but it sure limits where I can position the car. It's a 24' trailer btw and has L shaped factory installed cabinets(one is a generator compartment).

fatwax 06-24-2019 10:30 AM

Re: room to tie down car

If you don't think it's going to be enough or you may want to get a bigger trailer later just do it now. I know it's easy to say but trust me you will hate it if you don't have enough room, especially when you start taking more stuff. I borrowed a 24 with L shaped cabinet once while I was getting my 28 ready this year and what a difference 4' makes. Also depends are you bringing pit transportation etc. I'm not saying bigger is better and you need a 50' trailer but make sure you're honest with where you think you'll end up.

mrthinkshesfunny 06-24-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatwax (Post 71027509)
If you don't think it's going to be enough or you may want to get a bigger trailer later just do it now. I know it's easy to say but trust me you will hate it if you don't have enough room, especially when you start taking more stuff. I borrowed a 24 with L shaped cabinet once while I was getting my 28 ready this year and what a difference 4' makes. Also depends are you bringing pit transportation etc. I'm not saying bigger is better and you need a 50' trailer but make sure you're honest with where you think you'll end up.

I think you are right. My problem is parking was going to be an issue with more than a 24" trailer on the pad next to my house. On this trailer in particular I would have to mount the winch in one of the front wall floor cabinets because there is no floor left to mount it on the side like I wanted too. I will just have to keep looking.Thanks

classracer 06-24-2019 12:47 PM

Consider also that 28 and 32 foot tag trailers are the most popular and desired on resale.

dfuelman 06-24-2019 02:25 PM

I have also loaded my Camaro in a 24' trailer. The Camaro is about 16' long. I got it stuffed in with a golf cart (had to turn the cart side ways and got it all in but it sucked. Trailer had NO cabinets, tie down was tough, to say the least. no extra room for anything. Did not have a chute at the time which would have made it worse.

Like the guys above stated, if you're gonna go enclosed, get a 28' minimum. I sold my 24' and went back to my 18' open, it is less trouble. Don't you just LOVE RACE CARS???

Copper head 06-24-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfuelman (Post 71028711)
I sold my 24' and went back to my 18' open, it is less trouble. Don't you just LOVE RACE CARS???

hahaha,....yeah man. LOL

Like you,.....I sold my 28' enclosed about 9 yrs ago,...in favor of an open. Took up less space,..and was easier to deal with at the time. BUT,......these days,.... I'm getting older ,.... not to mention tired of loading/unloading up stuff in the back of my pickup and cleaning up the racecar once I get to my destination. Therefore,......an enclosed is going to be in my future once again.

mrthinkshesfunny 06-24-2019 04:16 PM

I sold my open trailer to buy an enclosed just because I'm also tired of loading and unloading everything before /after a weekend. Plus at least with an enclosed you have somewhere to get out of the rain which it seems to do a lot of on weekends anymore.

Eman85 06-24-2019 06:56 PM

You can always install different D rings

mrdragster1970 06-24-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfuelman (Post 71028711)
I have also loaded my Camaro in a 24' trailer. The Camaro is about 16' long. I got it stuffed in with a golf cart (had to turn the cart side ways and got it all in but it sucked. Trailer had NO cabinets, tie down was tough, to say the least. no extra room for anything. Did not have a chute at the time which would have made it worse.

Like the guys above stated, if you're gonna go enclosed, get a 28' minimum. I sold my 24' and went back to my 18' open, it is less trouble. Don't you just LOVE RACE CARS???

Same deal here.
16' Camaro and 250 ATV fit fine, tight but fine in my 24 footer.
Make a bunch of dough and buy yourself a full blown P/M that is 22' long and you're screwed.
Did the back of the truck deal for one year, and that blows hard.
Went out and got the big triple TAG and couldn't be happier.

You do what you have to do, but at some point you have to make sure the entire deal is functional!!!
Like the guys that destroy their undersized, under powered trucks trying to tow more than they should 30 plus W/E's a year.

Good luck, race safe!!!!

mrthinkshesfunny 06-24-2019 07:35 PM

I could move the D-rings sure but It won't help the numbers. The rule is showing from the ramp door 201 inches, my car is 186 inches. Split the difference say 193inches to make sure the door closes. I think it will put the car over the top of the D-rings. that will probably be interesting to strap down.At least I wouldn't need much strap.
https://i.postimg.cc/tJf8WWjp/IMG-1489.jpg

406shark 06-24-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrthinkshesfunny (Post 71030061)
I could move the D-rings sure but It won't help the numbers. The rule is showing from the ramp door 201 inches, my car is 186 inches. Split the difference say 193inches to make sure the door closes. I think it will put the car over the top of the D-rings. that will probably be interesting to strap down.At least I wouldn't need much strap.
https://i.postimg.cc/tJf8WWjp/IMG-1489.jpg

IF you really want that trailer... you can make a couple of short non adjustable tie downs for the front, then use the rear straps to pull against the front ones. Should have much more access in the rear.

Jeff

dfuelman 06-24-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper head (Post 71028811)
hahaha,....yeah man. LOL

Like you,.....I sold my 28' enclosed about 9 yrs ago,...in favor of an open. Took up less space,..and was easier to deal with at the time. BUT,......these days,.... I'm getting older ,.... not to mention tired of loading/unloading up stuff in the back of my pickup and cleaning up the racecar once I get to my destination. Therefore,......an enclosed is going to be in my future once again.

I'd still like to have another enclosed one day, but I also need at least a 28'er and my driveway is not gonna be easy to enter with that much wagon in tow. I did like the days of leaving the car in the box for later and winter storage in the trailer (or lawn equipment storage) so car maintenance was easier. The wish list just goes on for ever it seems. I REALLY wanted to keep life simple this time around, oh well, so much for that idea.

Copper head 06-25-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 406shark (Post 71030373)
IF you really want that trailer... you can make a couple of short non adjustable tie downs for the front, then use the rear straps to pull against the front ones.

That's what I do. I had a custom strap company build me two about 18" long.

That way,....my car is loaded in the same spot each & every time.

classracer 06-25-2019 12:53 PM

you don't need custom tie down straps, just tie down the car and when unloading it, disconnect the rear straps first then push or drive the car forward and unhook the front straps. Do the reverse when loading.

Connect MAC for all your tie down needs http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

Unslow1 06-25-2019 04:25 PM

Can you just remove some of the cabinets? It probably has the generator in the side part. All our current and recent trailers don't have the L. The extra space was nice but made things too tight.