Yellow Bullet Forums

Yellow Bullet Forums (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Let's Talk Drag Racing (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why zoomies? (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2580539)

BillyShope 06-04-2019 09:16 AM

Why zoomies?

Just struck me: Why in the world would a dragster owner ever run zoomies? I mean, if there's to be any kind of exhaust system, why not improve performance?

Randy Wilson 06-04-2019 10:38 AM

Re: Why zoomies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShope (Post 70932513)
Just struck me: Why in the world would a dragster owner ever run zoomies? I mean, if there's to be any kind of exhaust system, why not improve performance?

Don’t know, but if it happens to be a bracket car, what’s it really matter?

bottlefed1 06-04-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

I think I see where you are coming from as,

Unless you are talking a blown app I see no reason to.

IMHO on a blown app with 50+ pounds of boost all you need to do is provide a direct exit for the exhaust, each cylinder has an equal and direct path, one hole out does not affect the others pressure-wise, light and easy to service, perty flames at night :-)

99% of fuel and alky teams can't be wrong....Or are collector headers the next trick lick coming in 2020?

naynay 06-04-2019 12:27 PM

ease of fabrication?

carpediem 06-04-2019 12:53 PM

Teams spending millions of dollars on parts and R&D for fuel cars are not using zoomies for ease of fabricating. It's more a pressure issue I believe cause what goes in must come out and if you have cylinders firing and all trying to go out one hole then theres gonna be one helluva traffic jam and BOOM. That's on fuel cars at 80psi boost and 90% nitro. A comp car or anything n/a the zoomies arent really necessary

MN Hemi 06-04-2019 01:12 PM

Chassis downforce.

robert ba'das 06-04-2019 01:34 PM

quick and easy back in the day

GTAShief 06-04-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Wilson (Post 70932815)
Don’t know, but if it happens to be a bracket car, what’s it really matter?

Maybe if your a blown bracket car you want to chase as many people as possible, as some people don't do being chased as well. Or, if you want to chase dragsters in a blown door car. Seems those would matter. Zoomies add power to blown cars, all about getting the exhaust out.

rb0804 06-04-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert ba'das (Post 70933657)
quick and easy back in the day

Little history on zoomies, guys used to run what they called “weed burners”. A semi straight downward facing pipe. Someone turned them upwards and made some pretty good passes because of the down force.

Fast forward to big money win at costs top alcohol effort of Jack O’Bannon/Norm Grimes/Rick Santos deal they tried every exhaust imaginable on that car. Guess what they ended up with? Zoomies. The nitrous guys have been back and forth recently with some still preferring a collector over the zoomies. They claim the zoomies kill a little low end power and add a little to the top.

BillyShope 06-04-2019 04:12 PM

Sorry. I should have made it clear that I don't want to collect the 8 individual exhaust pipes. Those who've been in dyno rooms know about reverse flow. In other words, ambient air does, for a very short portion of the Otto Cycle time, flow back into the exhaust pipe. By reducing the energy loss involved, engine torque can be increased. I'm becoming increasingly sorry that I started this. This is of interest to very few people. Sorry, I'll go away.

bottlefed1 06-04-2019 04:26 PM

Actually it was very interesting, and I doubt there were many here responding who are not aware of reversion in the intake or exhaust tracts of a racing engine.

If you did not mean headers with a collector what change did you envision to individual pipe (zoomie type) headers to improve performance.

CATCRACKER72 06-04-2019 06:35 PM

well Tonto I really don't know what your asking?? Blown Fuel and blown alky have little to 0 reversion with the with camming set up they run for optimum blown performance. And un-blown fuelers run zoomies because the egt's coming out of 1-hole would Chernobyl a collector..

n5ifi 06-04-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

If the motors blown I could see it.
They aren't used in Pro Stock so that's telling as far as being equal. They sure sound cool.

https://i.postimg.cc/2SCzBnpp/CCE18122016-00000.jpg

whittler74 06-04-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CATCRACKER72 (Post 70935027)
well Tonto I really don't know what your asking?? Blown Fuel and blown alky have little to 0 reversion with the with camming set up they run for optimum blown performance. And un-blown fuelers run zoomies because the egt's coming out of 1-hole would Chernobyl a collector..

This brings up a few questions !

When the Nitro burners run , they have 6' high Flames - Unburned Nitro?

How much is Unburned?
Is it All Burned up in the Flames? Like a After Burner ? , they say 10-12 Gallons Nitro used per run
If a Hole goes Out is there a Film of Nitro on the Track?
Exhaust FLAMES, Does this increase Downforce? A Benefit of too Rich ? After Burner style?

Excuse my Ignorance ! ;)

taxman 06-04-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Hemi (Post 70933535)
Chassis downforce.

This.