Yellow Bullet Forums

Yellow Bullet Forums (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Stock Suspension (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   traction issues still relevant (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2583361)

coppercutlass 06-24-2019 11:20 PM

traction issues still relevant

OK so I have made 7 passes with the new engine combo and haven't made one clean pass. First 4 passes where all made with a sever flat spot off the line best 60 ft. was a 1.67

I fixed the carb issues and now I got traction issues. Im sure this time around its my tires. I have nitto drag radials BUT.... I wanna say track prep last weekend was not in my favor.

Current suspension is tubular uppers and lowers in the front with .90 tall upper ball joints and 80/20 afcos with 66 6cyl. A body front springs. IN the rear I have QA1 single adjustable and had them set to 5 clicks from 0 with 442 rear springs , SSM lift bars , adjustable uppers with pinion angle being -3 degrees.

In the first video its a bit more sever as I launched at about 1700 RPM It hit the tires much harder . In the 2nd video I launched at about 2500 RPM and spun but not nearly as bad. IM leaning towards tires and im having my hoosiers mounted this week. Any advice is appreciated.

1st vid

2nd vid

This is a video of my best pass the first outing it was a 12.10 with a 1.67 60 ft. and it had a flat spot off the line and I short shifted the 1-2 shift really bad.

grandville455 06-25-2019 12:59 PM

Re: traction issues still relevant

Slow the front down more if u can, How much travel? If u watch your second video, u ARE losing shock travel travel foot braking it, Possibly in the rear also, Put some shock extensions on if u can
The first video its coming up to fast in front and upsetting the rear

coppercutlass 06-25-2019 01:12 PM

Travel is about 5.5 inches in the front. I have incremental snubbers i made. How slow shoukd i go in the front. Maybe I should put the front sway bar back on to slow it down ? The front seemed to move just as fast with the 80/20's as with the 90/10 's

grandville455 06-25-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppercutlass (Post 71033525)
Travel is about 5.5 inches in the front. I have incremental snubbers i made. How slow shoukd i go in the front. Maybe I should put the front sway bar back on to slow it down ? The front seemed to move just as fast with the 80/20's as with the 90/10 's

Slow enough to not upset the rear, Get some cheap summit 3 ways and set on 60/40 maybe, that second video u lost so much travel on the foot brake by the time u launched u had very little left for transfer, also make sure u have enough in the rear too, U should have as those cars don't separate nearly as much as a leaf spring car

coppercutlass 06-25-2019 01:47 PM

In the video where I foot braked it much higher and lost some travel I actually spun alot less . im gonna guess i didnt shock the rear tire as hard when i left at a much lower RPM.

coppercutlass 06-25-2019 01:53 PM

That's one reason I'm leaning towards tires but I did notice the front end was coming up way too fast.

Topfun99 06-25-2019 03:34 PM

Videos by someone standing near the starting line are hard to analyse. I recommend to everyone trying to figure out their car to stick a go-pro on the rear quarter so you can see the rear tire and fender plus the front end. One video and you can easily see what the chassis is doing. I get frustrated trying to watch the car's suspension from a distance while it is moving.

My only impression with the video I saw is there is little separation on the rear. But a video taken from a camera mounted on the car will provide a much better view.

coppercutlass 06-26-2019 03:52 PM

I know it's hard to tell from these videos. My wife's phone has the slowmotion setting on her phone which really helps. Wish it would post to anything besides her phone like that. From the slow motion video. I can see exactly when the tires broke loose and it's the video where i launched at a lower RPM as soon as I hit full extension on the front., the tires blew off and the rear settled back down fast after its extension . Im gonna try a better camera angle and a full slick vs. My nitto drag radials. I know the bias plys can be more forgiving.

Rick! 06-26-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppercutlass (Post 71039527)
I know it's hard to tell from these videos. My wife's phone has the slowmotion setting on her phone which really helps. Wish it would post to anything besides her phone like that. From the slow motion video. I can see exactly when the tires broke loose and it's the video where i launched at a lower RPM as soon as I hit full extension on the front., the tires blew off and the rear settled back down fast after its extension . Im gonna try a better camera angle and a full slick vs. My nitto drag radials. I know the bias plys can be more forgiving.

Install Quicktime on your laptop and download the video to the laptop. Bring up the video and play it frame by frame once the bottom bulb is lit or the tire just starts to rotate. I have some slo-mo vid of several cars at launch and it's a shitshow of ugly on how tires, springs, shocks and axle housings are not playing on the same team.

coppercutlass 07-01-2019 10:43 PM

Question guys . Could I use the sway bar to slow down my front end movement ? Also since my front end is coming up very fast can I preload my control arm bushings in the front to slow it down ?

I didn't think about this but when I set them in there I had a slower set up and all I did was snug the bolts and double nut them on the lowers on the uppers I didn't mess with the cross bar . I know this allows for some fast movement but maybe too much now ?

Ghost-Writer 07-02-2019 01:37 AM

Imo you are over thinking it.

mrdroptop 07-16-2019 07:43 PM

The Nittos can be very temperamental at the track, don't know anyone who likes them. I per went to the M/T and wow what a diff. The Nittos where good in the rain, lol.

At least this is my experience on a 67 camaro. Good look! Let us know how she runs on the new tires.

Keep playing with it.

coppercutlass 08-02-2019 02:48 PM

We went out last Saturday to Great Lakes Dragaway . It was HOT ! 85 degrees and we had a slight crosswind. I tried to make a pass with the drag radials after setting the rear shocks to 2 clicks from 0 and my first pass was not bad 12.15 @ 111 MPH with a 1.77 60 ft. spun pretty bad. Second pass was even worse !

Now keep in mind during the week I played with the carb and got it running pretty well now as far as pump shot goes.

3rd pass I put the 28 x 10 hoosiers ( bias ply) on and went and made a pass after putting them on . I ran a 12.03 @ 110 MPH with a 1.66 60 ft. still feel I got a little tire spin but that could be not being used to the bias plys and not used to a decent pass. haha. tires where set at 15 PSI.

4th pass I dropped PSI down to 12 felt like I got a lot less tire spin than pass 3 ran another 12.03 @ 110 MPH with a 1.69 60ft.
not too bad.

5th pass We cooled down the intake., with 12 psi in the tires ran a 12.01 @ 110 MPH with a 1.67 60 ft. I still feel I got some tire spin.

6th pass I decided to dump the open 2.5 in. x pipe and put on my header extensions. It really leaned up the engine and the flat spot off the line came back BUT the car felt like it hooked up great ( as the flat spot took some shock load from the tire ) Ran an 11.89 @ 111 with a 1.63 60 ft.

The only changes I made was going to a full slick and went to 2 clicks from 0 vs 5 clicks. I had not changed the front shocks . I brought my 3 way adjustables but didn't get a chance to make the swap .

sadly I was completely solo for my 1st 3 runs until my wife and best friend showed up

I don't know if what im thinking is tire spin is some of the movement bias plys have or should I say instability from what many have told me ( first time ever running a bias ply ). Seems like the front end isn't moving as fast as before but im thinking the bias plys soften the hit a little but as well. although I have a little over 5.5 inches of front end travel it seems like I still have more than I should ?

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

this would have been pass #4

Pass #5

pass #6

sscamaro2485 08-02-2019 04:48 PM

The front is way too tight. Loosen the front shocks all the way. If you have any travel limiters take them out. What gear do you have in the rear. The car looks real lazy leaving the line. Good job on the burn out and staging quickly. Higher leave RPM would help as well. Trans Brake or foot brake?

makinchips 08-03-2019 08:55 AM

Front & Back of the car are too high by a few inches.
You want to have the lower rear control arm close to level.
What size slicks are you running?