Yellow Bullet Forums

Yellow Bullet Forums (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   battery cable thickness (https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2583399)

gmo917 06-25-2019 11:56 AM

battery cable thickness

so over the weekend i had some battery cable/power switch issues.
im just wondering what everyone is using for the master power switches and batter cable thickness. fine wire or course wire?

juiced coupe 78 06-25-2019 04:55 PM

Re: battery cable thickness

I use a 4 post Cole Hersee switch. 1000 amp intermittent and 125 amp continuous, with 20 amp small contacts. The large posts only handle starting loads and whatever current is required to maintain the battery. The smaller posts actually shutdown the car at the ignition.

I used 2 gauge welding cable when I wired my car years ago and didn't know any better. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use 1/0 cable. The 2 gauge has never given me any problems, but I attribute that to it being a small block with strart retard and a PMGR starter.

gmo917 06-28-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiced coupe 78 (Post 71034795)
I use a 4 post Cole Hersee switch. 1000 amp intermittent and 125 amp continuous, with 20 amp small contacts. The large posts only handle starting loads and whatever current is required to maintain the battery. The smaller posts actually shutdown the car at the ignition.

I used 2 gauge welding cable when I wired my car years ago and didn't know any better. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use 1/0 cable. The 2 gauge has never given me any problems, but I attribute that to it being a small block with strart retard and a PMGR starter.

i had XS Power fine wire 2 gauge in it and over the weekend it started to smoke while trying to start the truck. so i cut the cable and ran it straight to the battery. the truck started 10x better then it ever has. now i dont know if thats from the wire being to small or the master swtch. but it needs to be addressed before the next event.

juiced coupe 78 06-28-2019 07:53 PM

When my old switch failed, it caused a lot of resistance and caused the pre-made battery terminal to fail. It failed where the cable was factory mated to the terminal.

After replacing the bad switch, I also converted to mil-spec terminals with crimped lugs on the wires.

aukai 06-29-2019 03:53 AM

CEAutoelectric Tony knows his stuff, and has great products.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/

Coloradoracer 06-29-2019 08:21 AM

I'm using a flaming river Big Switch, and use 4/0 welding cable, 16v system. Not an issue at all, but I also run dedicated grounds, not through the chassis.

gmo917 06-30-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiced coupe 78 (Post 71050921)
When my old switch failed, it caused a lot of resistance and caused the pre-made battery terminal to fail. It failed where the cable was factory mated to the terminal.

After replacing the bad switch, I also converted to mil-spec terminals with crimped lugs on the wires.

so i ordered the flaming river big switch and got some 1 gauge fine strand welding cable like you said. hopefully that fixes my issue. thanks for the feedback!

gmo917 06-30-2019 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=Coloradoracer;71052585]I'm using a flaming river Big Switch, and use 4/0 welding cable, 16v system. Not an issue at all, but I also run dedicated grounds, not through the chassis.[/Q

what do you mean dedicated grounds?

djh61187 06-30-2019 10:48 AM

[quote=gmo917;71056317]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coloradoracer (Post 71052585)
I'm using a flaming river Big Switch, and use 4/0 welding cable, 16v system. Not an issue at all, but I also run dedicated grounds, not through the chassis.[/Q

Straight to to battery, Not to to frame,firewall, fender etc.

Topfun99 06-30-2019 01:26 PM

[quote=gmo917;71056317]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coloradoracer (Post 71052585)
I'm using a flaming river Big Switch, and use 4/0 welding cable, 16v system. Not an issue at all, but I also run dedicated grounds, not through the chassis.[/Q

On my car I run 2 grounds. One to the rear frame directly below the trunk and a long cable all the way to the front of the car that goes directly to a stud on the cylinder head.

Most of my other grounds come directly from that stud also but I do have the original OEM ground strap on the opposite cylinder head.