: The new sleeper you'll hear about...It'll happen!!!!!!!!!

Kickstart my Heart
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Hey my names Mike and have been working on cars my whole life.I have had many but this one I plan on making it the ultimate sleeper, the sleeper types have always gotten me. The car I have is a 1999 toyota camry with 55K on it right now, I bought it off my elderly neighbors who barely drove it. I miss having my older camaro and that nice power it made. so as soon as the camry starts to die ill swap it with a BBC 454. However my goal is to make at least 800 to 850 WHP on the bottle to propel this 3200 lb car (maybe more with a 454) down the track and at least run 8 and 9 seconds down the 1/4 mile . However Im unsure about the setup I have thought about. THERE ARE SO MANY TO MIX AND CHOOSE DAMNIT! this is a progressive build so when it dies the engine will be ready.

Any help anyone can give me would be great, or a new setup lol I don't have any car guys to talk to about this so I thought i'd join a forum. So thanks allot guys!

Im thinking of boring and stroking the block to a 496
then all the stuff. help me pick please haha
--------------------------------------------------------
9.1, 9:5.1 or 9:8.1 or 11.1 compression ratio

mahle powerpak forged pistons

ARP head bolts and studs

Eagle specialty forged 4340 crank

AFR 195cc Street ported eliminator heads, i saw afrs 302cc or 315cc heads, im unsure. i thought stock heads, but i think they might fail on me at that power.

comp cam 292 hydraulic or summit's cam kit.

and whatever shot of the juice is needed to get it there. 250, 300 shot.

Edelbrock victor jr intake manifold, or tunnel ram with dual carbs

Carburetor would be 2 or one 950 CFM carbs.

and hardblok. short fill it.

BBC Malibu
03-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Oh boy. Help will arrive shortly just wait for it.

slammer454
03-23-2014, 12:49 AM
What size cactus do you take?

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 01:01 AM
lol let me guess expectations too high arent they haha

tony1784
03-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Post this in TOBT, you'll get all the help you need.

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 02:00 AM
i feel this wont end well lol but kicks and giggles for yall i will.

scot9055
03-23-2014, 02:18 AM
better go find you a 1942 model camry cause the one you got is gonna out live you!!

Hired driver
03-23-2014, 03:36 AM
How the heck are you gonna put a BBC with a tunnel ram a dual carbs in a camrey and have it be a sleeper? Freaking crabs will be a foot and a half above the hood line. This ain't gonna be some weekend engine swap project, its a FWD car. You'd need completely new suspension on both ends and cut the floor and interior to bits to make room for the drive shaft and trans. You'll have to custom build damn near everything cause nobody is gonna have parts.

turbonos56vw
03-23-2014, 03:56 AM
My old girlfriends brother had a 72 Celica with a small block in it and there was plenty of room in that tiny cars engine bay. I would think a Camry would have a little more room.

ZERO-ONE
03-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Subscribed.......... This is going to be awesome! Lol

slipmag
03-23-2014, 09:15 AM
wtf.....

2stroke
03-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Wait till the camry dies? Lol good luck waiting another 300k miles troll

555nova
03-23-2014, 12:13 PM
How are you going to fit sbc heads on a bbc?

Monkey Grip
03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
WELCOME TO THE BULLET...YOU ARE GETTINS FUCKED WITH...YOU NEED TO HIT THE NEWBIE THREAD FIRST...NEXT THING...99 CAMRY IS NOT A GREAT CAR TO START WITH...IF YOU ARE INTO IMPORTS TRY SOMETHING A BIT MORE CONDUCIVE TO SPEED...GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU DO...WE ALL LIKE TO RAG ON EACH OTHER...JUST DONT TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLY. ..SEE YA OUT THERE MY FRIEND!!

Ricer 231
03-23-2014, 01:20 PM
So whats your budget ??? I can see an EASY $4/5 k :rolleyes:

coyote52
03-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey my names Mike and have been working on cars my whole life.I have had many but this one I plan on making it the ultimate sleeper, the sleeper types have always gotten me. The car I have is a 1999 toyota camry with 55K on it right now, I bought it off my elderly neighbors who barely drove it. I miss having my older camaro and that nice power it made. so as soon as the camry starts to die ill swap it with a BBC 454. However my goal is to make at least 800 to 850 WHP on the bottle to propel this 3200 lb car (maybe more with a 454) down the track and at least run 8 and 9 seconds down the 1/4 mile . However Im unsure about the setup I have thought about. THERE ARE SO MANY TO MIX AND CHOOSE DAMNIT! this is a progressive build so when it dies the engine will be ready.

Any help anyone can give me would be great, or a new setup lol I don't have any car guys to talk to about this so I thought i'd join a forum. So thanks allot guys!

Im thinking of boring and stroking the block to a 496
then all the stuff. help me pick please haha
--------------------------------------------------------
9.1, 9:5.1 or 9:8.1 or 11.1 compression ratio

mahle powerpak forged pistons

ARP head bolts and studs

Eagle specialty forged 4340 crank

AFR 195cc Street ported eliminator heads, i saw afrs 302cc or 315cc heads, im unsure. i thought stock heads, but i think they might fail on me at that power.

comp cam 292 hydraulic or summit's cam kit.

and whatever shot of the juice is needed to get it there. 250, 300 shot.

Edelbrock victor jr intake manifold, or tunnel ram with dual carbs

Carburetor would be 2 or one 950 CFM carbs.

and hardblok. short fill it.

You didn't speak of any type of cage/frame work, rear end, ladder bar/4-link, coil overs or any of the most important parts of a race car. Don't get drawn into the idea that a good engine is all you need. Matter of fact....the engine is the least important thing you should be focusing on starting your build. jmo
Good luck with your idea.:)

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
well obviously im going to have to redo it all, front and rear suspension, rear diff, drivetrain etc. i dont give a flying fuck. i want to do it, and i have plenty of room in the bay for a bbc. and hood wise ill weld up some sort of gay ridiculous hat for the hood to cover up the tunnel ram. regardless when the engines built ill start up. i have my heart set on it. budget isnt a factor, its a progressive build. i already have a diff and transmission at my uncles shop. ill make it work and happen. i am trying to figure what the fuck i should do with the setup. im not worried about the other shit yet. step at a time lol and i hate imports.... im a muscle guy not a ricer or import... eww.. just got this car cause it was a steal. and thanks coyote :) i was at my uncles shot and i saw how i could mock some of it up. some brackets are gonna be needed to hold most of it together but it should happen. roll cage comes in after they kick me out for running faster than i should with a cage.

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 05:40 PM
WELCOME TO THE BULLET...YOU ARE GETTINS FUCKED WITH...YOU NEED TO HIT THE NEWBIE THREAD FIRST...NEXT THING...99 CAMRY IS NOT A GREAT CAR TO START WITH...IF YOU ARE INTO IMPORTS TRY SOMETHING A BIT MORE CONDUCIVE TO SPEED...GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU DO...WE ALL LIKE TO RAG ON EACH OTHER...JUST DONT TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLY. ..SEE YA OUT THERE MY FRIEND!!

haha thanks for the welcome bud, and nothin like tough love haha

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 05:42 PM
after hearing this i feel i shouldnt do it cause it will be a money pit from hell but at the same time i feel i should build up the motor and get the trans together and at least do some mock up of it all. what yall think?

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 05:47 PM
or get a roller for a couple hundred and put it all on the roller and drop the body on

DaCajun
03-23-2014, 06:00 PM
or get a roller for a couple hundred and put it all on the roller and drop the body on

I have a 4th gen Trans Am over here that I had wolfe racecraft cromoly 10 point cromoly cage put in the car. It cost me $1000 for the cage and $750 to have it installed. All tig welded along with BMR extreme frame rail connectors. Bring me 2 grand cash and it's yours, I'll even throw in a ram air hood. I did cut the rear tubs out to tub it but decided to build a corvette instead. The car is currently on a car dolly and can be loaded on a trailer. This sounds like it would work out just right for that big block you have as that is just what I was going to put in this car...... $2000 cash firm, no negotiations as I like to cut to the chase..... Well worth this price....

slammer454
03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I have a 4th gen Trans Am over here that I had wolfe racecraft cromoly 10 point cromoly cage put in the car. It cost me $1000 for the cage and $750 to have it installed. All tig welded along with BMR extreme frame rail connectors. Bring me 2 grand cash and it's yours, I'll even throw in a ram air hood. I did cut the rear tubs out to tub it but decided to build a corvette instead. The car is currently on a car dolly and can be loaded on a trailer. This sounds like it would work out just right for that big block you have as that is just what I was going to put in this car...... $2000 cash firm, no negotiations as I like to cut to the chase..... Well worth this price....

^Buy this. You'll give the man back his labour and get a free car in the process.

ricky ricardo
03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
after hearing this i feel i shouldnt do it cause it will be a money pit from hell but at the same time i feel i should build up the motor and get the trans together and at least do some mock up of it all. what yall think?

I think the Camry would be an awesome build. What you should do is get a huge loan to buy everything right off the bat. No progressive bullshit. Then when the cars done, you could grudge race to pay the loan off. It's a no brainer.

ricky ricardo
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
And don't worry about the rear wheel drive conversion. Just turn the motor sideways and weld the crank directly to the back of the driver side wheel. Bam. Done.

ricky ricardo
03-23-2014, 08:21 PM
And don't worry about the rear wheel drive conversion. Just turn the motor sideways and weld the crank directly to the back of the driver side wheel. Bam. Done.

And when I say weld, I mean jb weld. It should handle 600-800 horsepower at the wheel.

slammer454
03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
I think the Camry would be an awesome build. What you should do is get a huge loan to buy everything right off the bat. No progressive bullshit. Then when the cars done, you could grudge race to pay the loan off. It's a no brainer.

^Better than my advice.

ricky ricardo
03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
^Better than my advice.

See? This guy knows. I know what I am talking about.

Kickstart my Heart
03-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Ricky ricardo, you're a fucking genius man, how could i not have thought of that, and the loan idea ain't half bad, trust me if i had the lumpsome fuck id do it.

coyote52
03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
well obviously im going to have to redo it all, front and rear suspension, rear diff, drivetrain etc. i dont give a flying fuck. i want to do it, and i have plenty of room in the bay for a bbc. and hood wise ill weld up some sort of gay ridiculous hat for the hood to cover up the tunnel ram. regardless when the engines built ill start up. i have my heart set on it. budget isnt a factor, its a progressive build. i already have a diff and transmission at my uncles shop. ill make it work and happen. i am trying to figure what the fuck i should do with the setup. im not worried about the other shit yet. step at a time lol and i hate imports.... im a muscle guy not a ricer or import... eww.. just got this car cause it was a steal. and thanks coyote :) i was at my uncles shot and i saw how i could mock some of it up. some brackets are gonna be needed to hold most of it together but it should happen. roll cage comes in after they kick me out for running faster than i should with a cage.

I like this attitude, "you want to do it...you have it in your heart". That along with some patience has done a lot of things that seemed impossible.

Kickstart my Heart
03-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Hahaha thanks Coyote, means allot to me bud, and i do have it set in my heart i love doing stuff like this, its a passion of mine and every other guy on this site, ill probably post up to the engine build section to get some input from them, but overall i have my heart set on it happening.

BlackBeard
03-25-2014, 04:12 AM
I'd buy that's trans am roller in a heart besat if I were you.no offense but you sound like a teenager and don't realize your goals and foundation are way off. If you were serious about a sleeper you wouldn't want a tunnel ram, you want anything to tuck under the stock hood otherwise it's going to be retarded, good luck

Kickstart my Heart
03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
yea id buy it off him, but i only have enough to go pull an engine from the yard right now; and the tunnel ram was a thought not a full on option, my main idea was the victor jr intake and try to make the clearance work out. and im pretty sure my credentials on this build is serious

Kickstart my Heart
03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
mighty fine motor you got there with the c10

RodandRace
03-29-2014, 01:39 PM
I think I have seen one of these builds with a big block in a Camry before. Not sure how it worked out for this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe93r3NsDZw

Ricer 231
03-29-2014, 01:51 PM
I think I have seen one of these builds with a big block in a Camry before. Not sure how it worked out for this guy?

:supz::smt023

55sedan
03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Everything sounds good so far but I would seriously consider going .100 over on the bore if the block sonic checks good. It will help unshroud the valves (2.30s Im assuming) and give a little more compression.

AzzKickin
04-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Sleepers are always a enjoyment just getting the crazy looks and how did you do that questions or why did you do that, just that Camry may never die, build he engine and it will end up in something.

Tims88
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Ford used to sell a kit to put a V-8 in a Focus. I would look into what's involved in that to get some perspective.

451Cuda
06-24-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't think you understand what a sleeper is...a thumping BBC isn't very sneaky.