Yellow Bullet Forums banner

427 SBC with Standard Base Circle Roller Cam Using Dart Little M

12K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Horndog 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this combination yet. What I'm looking to build is a Dart little M with 4.125 x 4.00 stroke crank with CRS6000BST Eagle H beams that are clearance for a longer stroke. I'd also like to use a 286HR .560 .560 230 @ .50 Comp cams standard base circle cam. Will this all clear in a Dart little M. I understand that I will have to clearance the pan rails and maybe even the bottoms of the cylinder bore. I'm just concerned that the lobes maybe an issue with the standard base cam and no one has seem to run this set up yet. I understand that a Dart Iron Eagle block would be better to build up on but I did not want to use the Iron Eagle block because I would like to retain some of my parts off of my other engine oil pan, balancer, ect.

#4 ·
Which Eagle Rod did you use? Eagle says that the CRS6000BST are pre-clearanced for up to a 4 inch stroke. I did build a 406 once before with the standard Eagle H-beams and had no problem with it clearing. I was using a solid standard base circle cam .570 lift. I really don't want to use a small base circle cam if I can help it.

#3 ·
I have a 427 in a World block. With a standard cam height you will not clear a standard base circle cam. At minimum you will need a .900, mine has a .850 base circle. And still had to clearance my rods a little. The other option is to use a 2" rod journal, but still may need to grind a little.

#6 ·
Not sure I would like the 2" rod journal option either. I might just have to suck it up and buy an Iron Eagle and not use my oil pan.

Has anyone used a nitrated small base circle cam? Do these work well? I think it’s the geometry thing that's bothering me here not to mention I would have to re-buy a roller cam and lifters.

#9 ·
JUST FINISHED THIS.................

427 sbc, 4.125 x 4.00, compstar 6" h beam,compstar standard crank, solid roller .940 base circle, .454 lobes, 276/286@ .050.... dart little m, standard location....... nicked the rods .060, nicked the bottom of the cylinders in the block on two holes.................. pan rail as cast

i assume your lift number is at the valve ??? what ratio to get back to your lobe height. pay attention to the lobe height ....................not the valve lift.

it works

later jerome

#10 ·
JUST FINISHED THIS.................

427 sbc, 4.125 x 4.00, compstar 6" h beam,compstar standard crank, solid roller .940 base circle, .454 lobes, 276/286@ .050.... dart little m, standard location....... nicked the rods .060, nicked the bottom of the cylinders in the block on two holes.................. pan rail as cast

it works

later jerome
This sounds promising. When you get a second Jerome can you post pics maybe?

#21 ·
Did you look at the SHP blocks from Dart? Cheaper, and by some accounts better. I built a 427 on the SHP platform using the 400 bolck. My cam is a .605/605 with 1.6 RRs.

The cyl is not bored to the max, there's plenty of insurance there.

#22 ·
I did a 4.125 x 4 inch in a dart block last summer. He used the Eagle 'stroker' clearanced rods but I still had to mill a little more off them to clear the std base circle cam (roller ~ 262/274 ish)

On the SHP blocks read what CNC had to say on speedtalk. they had issues with the blocks that were line bored and not line honed. so if you get one make sure it was line honed and not just bored.

#25 ·
Depends on the rods you use. Before you order them, check to make sure they have the necessary "cam cut" clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.