Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Procharger C1 rebuild

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  turbo68chevelle 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am rebuilding my Procharger C1 after a couple of runs up the strip the main bearing let go allowing the compressor wheel said hello to the volute! The car is a Dax Rush kit car, with rover 4.6 V8. Before this I had done probabbly 2000 miles on the supercharger and all was fine, only recently changing the oil.

Luckily the volute is only a little scuffed, I will need to replace all the bearings. The high speed compressor side bearing have a small bearing within a large bearing, seems a strange arangement to me, I guess it allows them to use two lower speed rated bearings. The C1 is rated at 80,000 and I was driving it at that when it let go. It is marketed as for compact cars but I was using it on a 4.6 rover V8 and it was working good, seeing 7psi on 3/4 throttle and 5000 rpm. Red line at 6k.
I can't get original procharger bearings or compressor wheel so have been looking to source my own.
Bearings are:
Input pulley bearings; ID OD Thk
1x Koyo 6305 C3 Japan 25 62 17
1x Koyo 6203 C3 Japan 17 40 12
Output compressor bearings;
1x Koyo 6009 C3 Japan 45 75 16
1x THRUST NHBB USA ME-1203 DL 17 40 12
1x FAFNIR OIS LOT 3220 THRUST USA 7202W 15 35 11
Oil slinger
2x Koyo 6000 C3 Japan 10 26 8
The input pulley bearings are easy to get but I'm struggling to get the high speed compressor wheel angular contact bearings. I found an SKF 7203 CD/HCP4A and 7202 CD/HCP4A and a barden bearings part number barden 203HJH & barden 202HJB which are all rated in excess of the 80000 blower limit but know where seems to sell them? Any one got any ideas???

My case didn't have a spring washer for the compressor shaft angular contact bearings, maybe this is why it failed?? I thought angular contact needed some axial preload?

Also regarding the compressor wheel, the C1 has a 70mm inducer and a 108mm exducer, the C2 has a 80mm inducer and a 108mm exducer. I've been looking at turbo compressor wheels and the garratt GT4508 and GT4708 seem a good match using a 79mm inducer and 108 exducer. Does anyone know if the C1 and C2 share the same volute, just machined to acept the C2 larger inducer size? The C1 certanly has a lot a meet around the inlet and could easily be opened up to 80mm just don't know about the inner area?
My C1 shaft is 0.5" the the garratt's use something like a 8-9mm shaft so I could easily bore the wheel to fit my shaft.

All help or oppinions most welcome,
Tom.

See less See more
#4 ·
You should be able to pull the bearing numbers off the bearings and call someone like Purvis Bearing, Applied Industrial Technologies and so on and get them pretty easy. As far as the compressor wheel goes they should sell you a replacement wheel, you just need to make sure the internal compressor housing isn't damaged if it is it probably be cheaper to buy a used head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.