Yellow Bullet Forums banner

what would cause this??

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Krusty 
#1 ·

My wife and I are cleaning up her cruck and the paint that was on it had started flaking and bubbling on the tops of the fenders and hood. This is definitely easier than sanding! What do you think the previous owner did or didn't do when he painted it to make the paint peel like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have to determine what separated. Is it base color from primer, primer from bare metal, color from color? There are many reasons for an adhesion failure. Someone did not follow manufacturer instructions.

#4 ·
Was the tailgate "prepped" different than the rest of the truck? Was the whole truck sealed before base color? A long time ago I had a primer seperating from the same primer that I was reducing to use as a sealer.

In other words I would prime and sand the panels, then reduce the same primer to be used as a sealer (which was ok from the manufacturer) and spray the seal coat, then base. Well my reducer was too fast in the sealer and never adhered. I saw primer left on the car and primer on the back side of the peeling base too.

I wonder if your sealer didn't adhere. Peeled to bare metal on a striped tailgate and off the primer on the rest.

Just a thought....

#5 ·
flip it over so we can see the back

#6 ·
The cruck was painted when we got so I have no clue what could have been done. I am sure It was done at separate times and it was like some of it had clear coat and some not, really shady job. I am amazed that held on for 10 years running down the high way and being parked outside.

#7 ·
take a lacquer rag and put it on the body to see if it turns the substrate to goo

#8 ·
10 years, holy crap. Mine peeled un-taping them. Looks like the sealer didn't adhere to the primer. Just didn't follow manufacturers instructions, or 10 years in the elements and no UV protection caused the delamination.

#9 ·
It may have not been sealed and just base shot on top of the primer filler. Thats what i see. Krusty also asked to wipe it with thinner and see how it reacts, id do the same and see if it needed to all be removed before a repaint.

#11 ·
strip to bare steel clean very well
do mud work
clean very well
2 coats of epoxy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.