Yellow Bullet Forums banner

switching

920 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  gmhg70 
#1 ·
3400 pnds swapping from powerglide to T350 . What can I expect ?

Pep

#3 ·
600-620ish sbc . Best pass has been 10.44@129 in mine shaft air . Changed up engine and it slowed . Comp up from 11.7 to 12.9 and switched to e85 ,bigger cam from 250/256@50 600/600lift to 267/275@50 675/640 lift . Converter is a UCC 8" 5000 and rear gear is 4.56 . Ran 10.65@126.xx .

Gonna fit the 350 and test . Will send converter back for restall if needed and gear to suit . Hoping to pick up in the 60.

Pep

#5 ·
Sounds like you had a converter better suited for the smaller cam and didn't make the necessary chages to the stall speed and engine rpm operation when updating the motor. As the engine operational rpm range was increased the stall speed should have gone up much furthur as well a rear gear change may have also been required. If the stall speed is left low as it is I would expect large gains in ET with the 3 spd.

Hutch

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies Hutch . Do you think the 3 speed will perform better than the glide even if converter and gear was optimised for for either set up ? I know the converter needed loosening up for the new combo but decided to fit the 3 speed . Once fitted we'll test and then get converter re-stalled to suit . I'm in Aus and shipping a converter to US and back aint cheap .I've always been told at this weight a 3 speed would ET better . And do you see a 350 holding up at this power and probably a little more as there is some changes in the wind ?

Pep

#9 ·
The stall wasnt changed because the peak rpm didnt move up. Actually lost 100 rpm. The converter guy said it should be ok because the compression bump and +7/+9 degree duration change offset each other. The converter flashed higher after the last round of changes by 200 rpm too.

Intake port is choking the motor. It should make peak at 7500-7600.... Was only at 6900.

If you dont change the converter at all.... Hows it going to react from being switched from a glide to the 350? stall higher or lower?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.