: best N/A engine for 1/4 mile drag race

ehsan90
12-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Hi all, first of all sorry for my bad English ,
I'm going to swap an engine for 1/4 mile drag race in 4-cylinder N/A class,
I need an engine to finish 1/4 mile in less than 14 seconds,
here is my choices :
- B18C Type-R JDM (in honda civic with B20 head and individual throttle bodies)
- F20C JDM (in honda civic)
- MI16/GTI6/TU5 (in peugeot 205 and a lot of aftermarket parts for engine)
- K20 ? H22 ? 4G63 ? 4AGE ?
as you know, for a quarter mile we need more horsepower than torque, so I prefer to use an engine with 1800cc displacement and increase the compression ratio rather than use the Stroker kit or to use an 2000cc engine (for example).
my budget is about 6000$ (just for engine swap, not totally) , is it possbile ?
I wait for your answrs, thanks :)

ch3no2
12-11-2017, 07:17 AM
I would go with the K Series, K24 bottom end with a K20A2 head. The K-Series is superior to a B-Series; I had a fully built B20-V and made 263hp on pump - a K Series will get there with bolt-ons and a tune. There are guys going very low 10s on a stock block K-Series.

You didn't mention what chassis this was going into; Civic, CRX, Etc...

As far as peak HP numbers are concerned, the K24/20 combo has been proven to just shy of 500 hp - all motor - time and time again. Remember though, it's the area under the curve that counts - on a dyno graph. Even in the fully built B-Series I had, a K Series made 'better' power - so would win consistently; a B and K Series have very different power bands - a B being much more peaky, somewhat dead below 5500 RPM.

ehsan90
12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
I would go with the K Series, K24 bottom end with a K20A2 head. The K-Series is superior to a B-Series; I had a fully built B20-V and made 263hp on pump - a K Series will get there with bolt-ons and a tune. There are guys going very low 10s on a stock block K-Series.

You didn't mention what chassis this was going into; Civic, CRX, Etc...

As far as peak HP numbers are concerned, the K24/20 combo has been proven to just shy of 500 hp - all motor - time and time again. Remember though, it's the area under the curve that counts - on a dyno graph. Even in the fully built B-Series I had, a K Series made 'better' power - so would win consistently; a B and K Series have very different power bands - a B being much more peaky, somewhat dead below 5500 RPM.
thanks a lot for your perfect reply,
if I choose B or K series, I will use civic sedan chassis (because the hatchback is much more expensive),
so with K24 bottom end, and K20A2 head, I can get best efficiency with that budget ... am I right ?

ch3no2
12-11-2017, 12:36 PM
thanks a lot for your perfect reply,
if I choose B or K series, I will use civic sedan chassis (because the hatchback is much more expensive),
so with K24 bottom end, and K20A2 head, I can get best efficiency with that budget ... am I right ?

I'd say that the K24/20 combo delivers the best bang for the buck. Simple bolt-ons; intake, exhaust, and a tune will put you in the 13's with ease.

I'd run a K20A2 intake manifold, more peak HP versus the Type-R manifold; Type-R manifold produces a broader mid-range - for circuit racing.

The 6k budget is rather tight, it all depends on where you source the motor/ transmission from. I'd recommend K-Tuned for the swap specific components, a good friend of mine had a really bad experience with Hybrid Racing. I'd suggest looking at the k20a.org forum - tons of useful information.

FYI, a bone stock K20Z1 - stock airbox FYI, put down 275hp+ on VP M5. They would of made more but the injectors were maxed out.

ehsan90
12-12-2017, 01:55 PM
I'd say that the K24/20 combo delivers the best bang for the buck. Simple bolt-ons; intake, exhaust, and a tune will put you in the 13's with ease.

I'd run a K20A2 intake manifold, more peak HP versus the Type-R manifold; Type-R manifold produces a broader mid-range - for circuit racing.

The 6k budget is rather tight, it all depends on where you source the motor/ transmission from. I'd recommend K-Tuned for the swap specific components, a good friend of mine had a really bad experience with Hybrid Racing. I'd suggest looking at the k20a.org forum - tons of useful information.

FYI, a bone stock K20Z1 - stock airbox FYI, put down 275hp+ on VP M5. They would of made more but the injectors were maxed out.

thank you very vey much man :):finga:

whiskerz
06-08-2018, 03:48 PM
I would also vote K motor. We circle track a N/A K20 motor and it puts 188 to the wheels with stock cams per the rules and just very minor work and a tune. Get the weight down.