: Roll cage help

blackmagic762
01-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Pardon me if this is the wrong section but I wasn't for sure where to ask this non-drag race question. I am working on a Jeep CJ that is for offroad use only and starting to think about the roll cage design. On this jeep I plan on attaching the full roll cage to the frame instead of just the body but trying to figure out how to seal around the holes I will have to cut in the body.

Has anyone seen or know of a way to seal around the roll cage holes to keep mud and water out but allow the body to have some flex? I plan on running polyurethane body mounts.

Cruise
01-09-2017, 12:24 AM
You mean holes in the floor? Just use some Rollbar foam padding or insulating foam wrap. But really, the floor where the cage mounts is usually a boxed piece and quite strong, so it's not really needed, if you're afraid of the cage breaking through the floor in a rollover just use some thick plate and gussets to mount it, like race cars use.

DragGT
05-12-2017, 01:51 AM
You cut the floor, a hole for the tube to go through weld around the hole on the tube. If you have to make a large hole cut it out then cut the piece in half. Then just fit the two pieces back together and weld them around the floor and tube. No leaks just add some paint so it doesn't rust.

Jebchevelle
05-12-2017, 01:58 AM
the jeep is going to flex a lot most the guys who have done this use silicone sealer around the bars where they go through the floor. the silicone will flex with the body and frame also you can use rubber grommets on the tubes them selves and use the silicon on the grommets to seal them up water tight.

midnightbluS10
05-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Why not use something like the window pass-throughs? Aren't the centers basically a rubber membrane with a hole in it that slides around the tube?

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/image/cache/data/Lightning%20B03N-450x450.jpg

Wabash Cannonball
05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
^^^ that or a round shifter boot.

midnightbluS10
05-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Why not use something like the window pass-throughs? Aren't the centers basically a rubber membrane with a hole in it that slides around the tube?

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/image/cache/data/Lightning%20B03N-450x450.jpg

Just noticed them on the bed cover, also. That's pretty much what you'd need, right?

Here's the round ones for $39

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177

Russellmn
05-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Just saw this. I do a fair amount of off road chassis/roll cage work... What I usually do, and it's pretty common for off road cages, is run sandwich plates on the floor. I'll weld an outrigger to the frame out to where the cage will land and have a poly bushing there up to a large (as big as will fit, 4" square minimum) and four bolts go through the floor to the top side with either smaller or larger (but never the same size) than the bottom plate. Weld the cage to those and bolt in with grade 8 hardware, I run 3/8" bolts. Run poly body mounts as well and everything plays nice together.

LeroyLeghorn
05-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Just a heads-up.....some of the best Grade 8 hardware on the planet is found at the local Caterpillar dealer parts department.....