Yellow Bullet Forums banner

33 spline solid to 35 spline??

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JL Performance 
#1 ·
Need opinions about changing axles in a Strange 12 bolt in an F body.

Car weighed 3600, has 500ish HP sbc and ran mid 11's and has Street/Strip 33 spline axles with a posi and TH350 trans.

Took a lot of weight out of the car over the past year. Probably around 3150-3200 now. Will be putting a bigger sbc in it next year (around 800 ish HP)

Now for the question. Last time out the posi didn't behave to well and did the one whel shuffle out of the water box. Since that has to be replaced and I no longer street drive the car, was considering a spool.

Since I am upgrading to a spool, would it make sense to go to Pro race 35 spline axles? If so what about lightening options? I was thinking gun drilled and lighweight flange.

Would like people's opinion on this. Ultimate goal is making the car as light as possible, be consistent and run 9.0's. Will most likely have a PG when we switch motors

#3 ·
Maybe lighten the flanges but the gun drilling on a 35 spline I have been told by people that had it done, to not do it.

I am looking for a 35 spline axle/spool package as well, I need to pull the rear end apart so I can get measurements on the things so I can order some up in the next couple months, maybe I'll get motivated LOL.

Fwiw, I have a 33 spline spool in now that I ran in the mid 9.5x range, with a 3.73 gear and never broke anything, left on a 150 shot on top of a 450 rw motor, went 9.50 at 3350 like that for a whole year.

Now it has an 850 hp bbc and will see about the amount of power the motor/nitrous setup made on top of that, from time to time. Hoping the 35 spline will be o.k. at this level.

#5 ·
I'm running 33 spline in my 12 bolt. 3200 lbs 1.24 60'. Axles been used since 2003.

#6 ·
See Bracket that's the kind of stuff that makes me wonder if I should just fill the rear end up with fluid and try the 3.73 with the 29.5 tire and the BBC or should I rip it apart and put the 35 spline in before I even run it.

I'm 1/2 torn to just try what I have and then change once I have some data to support what I should have in the car for a gear, if a change is even needed.

But the proactive me says what Vegaman is saying, pull the thing and put a set of MW 35 spline axles, spool and a good pro 4.10 gear set in.

I think if anything it's the gearset that's going to be the issue, being that no one makes a pro gear for a 12 bolt in anything lower than 4.10 I know the 3.73's are a street gear. I don't see them being happy with a 850 hp motor and a 82 pill, or a fogger with a lot more being happy.

#8 ·
See Bracket that's the kind of stuff that makes me wonder if I should just fill the rear end up with fluid and try the 3.73 with the 29.5 tire and the BBC or should I rip it apart and put the 35 spline in before I even run it.

I'm 1/2 torn to just try what I have and then change once I have some data to support what I should have in the car for a gear, if a change is even needed.

But the proactive me says what Vegaman is saying, pull the thing and put a set of MW 35 spline axles, spool and a good pro 4.10 gear set in.

I think if anything it's the gearset that's going to be the issue, being that no one makes a pro gear for a 12 bolt in anything lower than 4.10 I know the 3.73's are a street gear. I don't see them being happy with a 850 hp motor and a 82 pill, or a fogger with a lot more being happy.
I agree on the gears being the weak part. I have had 4.88's, 4.56's and now 4.33's in the car. Both the 4.88's and 4.56's came out with cracks on the teeth and they were Richmond Pro gears. The 4.88's had cracks on the pinion teeth and the 4.56's had more than half of the ring gear teeth cracked to the point you could hear it growling as it rolled.

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with the 33 spline axles. I'd keep them and just pick up a spool if you don't wan to keep the posi. I've actually had pretty good luck with 33 spline axles and a 12 bolt posi, All Toms Differentials stuff but the posi housing gets thin when drilled for the 33 splines to fit through. A spool would be the wiser choice..

#9 ·
I am pretty set on the spool. My real concern was currently having Strange Street/Strip 33 spline axles with 1/2" studs (which have held up flawlessly) being re-tooled for 5/8" studs. I know they heat treat them after all machining is done so this was a concern to have them machined again after heat treating.

Also from what I was told by Strange, the street/strip axles will flex a little where the Hy-Tuff ones will not. This allows them to take the stresses of street driving (corners and potholes and such).

#11 ·
After talking to Strange a couple of times I ended up going with 35 spline solid axles with a lightweight spool. Had the axle flanges lightened. They strongly recommended NOT gun drilling the axles because of the weight of the car. Also got a set of 4.30 Richmond Pro Gears and had them lightened as well.

#12 ·
Just went through the same issue . Gear went bad , 31 spline Strange , way lighter than you , More power . Had all the parts out and took housing to have it cleaned , checked and to make sure it was straight . It was off so we added a back brace and cut and rewelded the ends . I dug around the garage and found a new 35 spline spool and 5/8 drive studs and just had the center set up with the new spool . Axles will be ordered Monday. Should be done for years to come.

#14 ·
Car was already there and it was fine before taking it apart.

If $ allows I'm going to do a solid 35 spline axle and just lighten the flange, lightweight 35 spline spool and see about lightening the ring gear for the 4.10 set. That and some micro blue treated bearings for the rear end, see how that stands up to 850 crank plus a couple stages at 3050-3100.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.