Yellow Bullet Forums banner

How to check intercooler flow?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  SuperCooper 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to check intercooler flow at home? I purchased a used pt-1800 water to air intercooler. It seems like im losing a ton of boost through it.

#3 ·
Blow in it.

You need to monitor boost pre and post core to check it. Either log it with a MAP sensor or go simple with a boost gauge and compare that to manifold pressure.

#6 ·
i just built a plug for both ends of my intercooler piping,welded a 1/4 inch pipe nipple on one and hooked my leak down tester to that and shop air.then pressure it up to your target boost pressure.and look and listen for leaks....i test me whole system that way..i cap mine off at the firewall so the entire piping system is pressured.if you use a leak down tester make sure you start with the regulator off and slowly turn it up,you shouldnt have to go over 20 or 30 lbs of air

#9 ·
ok you want simple here it is ..small flash lite and a mirror.take both intercooler tubes off ,put the lite in one end and use a small mirror to see the lite from the other end...a small mechanics mirror or your wifes compact.i have a 2400 and i can see all the way thru it....

#13 ·
I cant build more than 8lbs of boost with mt pt101 on a sbf. I put a pressure port before the intercooler this morning and got 15lbs on the brake in my driveway. Switched to after the intercooler and all i can get is 6.5 lbs on the brake nothing else changed.

#14 ·
did you get any air temps???was that test run with ice water or without?were the test ports rite at the intercooler?it is allways possible that the temp diff would drop the boost numbers ,but i wouldnt think that much...

sent you a pm

#16 ·
A couple stupid thoughts:

I have heard of significant boost drops when running icewater on a hot day. So, make that a variable. Empty it, or fill it with hot water, and see if the character changes.

Leaks: could be boost going to atmosphere, or boost going back into the water side. Does it gurgle in the tank? Could simply fill it with water, pull the return hose, and see if it's puking.

My gut sez you have a leak somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.