ObamaCare death debt? States can seize assets to recoup Medicaid costs - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Political Corner

The Political Corner We will hash out political, religious and current events in this section.... Keep it constructive when posting!!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Randjet
Smoked Another SBC

Default ObamaCare death debt? States can seize assets to recoup Medicaid costs

Tom Gialanella, 56, was shocked to find out he qualified for Medicaid under ObamaCare. The Bothell, Wash., resident had been able to retire early years ago, owns his home outright in a pricey Seattle suburb and is living off his investments.

He wanted no part of the government's so-called free health care. "It's supposed to be a safety net program. It's not supposed to be for someone who has assets who can pay the bill," he said.

And after reading the fine print, Gialanella had another reason to flee Medicaid -- the potential death debt.

Though many may not realize it, states are allowed to recover the cost of health care after someone's death by seizing their assets. It applies to Medicaid recipients who are between the ages of 55 and 64. The law has been in place since 1993, when Congress realized states were going broke over rising Medicaid expenses.

But under ObamaCare, Medicaid eligibility has expanded dramatically along with the promise that the federal government will pick up the cost of the higher tab -- at least for the first few years, after which states will be on the hook for a portion of the increase.

Millions more are entering the system, perhaps without knowing that their assets could be at risk.

However, just like Gialanella, others are opting out.

A Washington state couple in their early 60's actually got married recently so their combined income would keep them out of Medicaid and allow them to purchase a plan on the health exchange. Filing as individuals, their incomes had been low enough that they qualified for Medicaid.

They married primarily because Sophia Prins owns a home and wants to will it to her children without any worry that the government will attach a lien for the cost of her medical care. Prins doesn't think it's fair to go after the assets of people who get government assistance through Medicaid, but not those getting taxpayer subsidies through the exchange plans.

The story prompted Washington's Democratic governor, Jay Inslee, to issue an emergency rule change. It says the state may only recover the cost of nursing home care provided to Medicaid recipients in that 55-64 age group. That's the minimum allowable under the 1993 law.

"We have this population that we want to make sure they have access to health care," said state Medicaid Director MaryAnne Lindeblad. "We want them to get in so they can get the kinds of services that keep them healthy."

Oregon followed suit. But the 23 other states that expanded Medicaid under ObamaCare have not changed their estate recovery policies. A lot of money is at stake.

In 2004, California collected $44.6 million through estate recovery. It's a number that is certain to rise dramatically. MediCal officials tell Fox News they expect 1 million-2 million additional enrollees by 2015.

Minnesota, a much smaller state than California, managed to collect $25 million in 2004. It, too, is keeping its estate recovery policy in place.

Critics see a money grab.

"I think that people are maybe in for a shock when they find out their heirs are going to be paying for their care, because they got into a system under false pretenses," said Dr. Jane Orient of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a group opposed to the Affordable Care Act.

The estate recovery law is so under the radar right now that interest groups like the AARP are still studying how it will play out under ObamaCare for seniors.

Dan Springer joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in August 2001 as a Seattle-based correspondent.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
purespeed
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: ObamaCare death debt? States can seize assets to recoup Medicaid costs

This is already in action.

Sick or disabled people with only SS to live on may end up in a nursing facility if they don't have relatives to live with.

Nursing homes are very expensive and the state is very aggressive about seizing property.

This has been expanded to hospitals and a person can run up a hospital bill very quickly.

The state won't kick people out of their homes (or relatives that live in the house), but they will seize property to recover costs.
purespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Steve439
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: ObamaCare death debt? States can seize assets to recoup Medicaid costs

Interesting topic.
I know very little about Medicaid - I thought it covered all expenses.
What costs would the government go after?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
rskrause
Smoked another BBC

I have no problem with recovring from people who have assets.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
larrydavis427
Smoked Another SBC

A similar situation happened to my wife when her mother died. She owed the state 60,000 in nursing home expenses. The State of California sent a letter to my wife ordering her to pay $60,000 to the State of Ca. The state ended up taking her mother's house and selling it at auction. My wife's sister, who is broke, was forced out and now has no place to live as of Feb 1.
larrydavis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Aceshigh
Smoked Another SBC

This is exactly why you need to retire outside of the United States.

While I don't think it's wrong to recoup expenses from people with assets, I do feel our
healthcare system is becoming highway robbery and extorting people beyond excessively.
What this will equate to is......working your entire life only to see your life's worth stolen
from you by the runaway healthcare cronies.

They already began doing reverse mortgages to steal elderly homes.....and if you only knew
how many lose their homes annually over a simple tax bill, and lawyers stealing them...you'd shit.

NATIONAL SUMMIT TO REASSESS THE U.S. - ISRAEL "SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP"
http://natsummit.org/ (Video)

Last edited by Aceshigh; 01-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
A similar situation happened to my wife when her mother died. She owed the state 60,000 in nursing home expenses. The State of California sent a letter to my wife ordering her to pay $60,000 to the State of Ca. The state ended up taking her mother's house and selling it at auction. My wife's sister, who is broke, was forced out and now has no place to live as of Feb 1.
Why weren’t the sisters taking care of their mother?

Undoubtedly, bureaucrats in charge of such affairs will make every effort to escalate costs associated with anyone who has property they perceive as vulnerable to seizure in these situations.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
oletrux
Smoked another BBC

And all of this has been created by our government. Go figure.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, 'What the hell happened?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidr View Post
HOLY SHIT, Batman. Stevie Wonder saw this coming.
oletrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
purespeed
Smoked Another SBC

One other thing to be aware of is the fact that neither Obamacare or Medicare or your present insurance cover long term healthcare (nursing home).

The only thing that covers long term healthcare is:

1. Medicaid (all costs subject to state recovery)
I suspect the state uses a lot of this recovered money to pay for the government workers and lawyers.

2. Directly from your bank account.

3. Special purchase long term healthcare insurance. But you have to careful, lucky, and/or smart for this to work. Here's an article to ponder:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...care-insurance

For the suckers who thought Obamacare was going to take care of their long term heathcare --- too bad.

Look on the web for Obamacare and long term healthcare and you will get lots of hits. They talk about it a lot.

But nowhere will you find Obamacare actually paying for long term healthcare
purespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
sr4440
Smoked another BBC

medicaid is not insurance, it is predatory lending by the state. they are entitled to recovery 100% of what they spend on a enrollyee's care.

Joe

Snip

Obama's main problem has been trying to be bi-partisan..
If the federal government can compel a private citizen, under threat of a federally imposed penalty, to engage in a private contract with a private entity (to buy health insurance), is there anything the federal government cannot compel the citizen to do?
sr4440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
MaxFlow
YB Liar and Chief
Smoked Another SBC

This is not NEW news. This shit has been happening since the program started. The person SIGNS a CONTRACT for this arrangement. I know, conservatives don't like contracts, they just like to break them.

Joe
MaxFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Aceshigh
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr4440 View Post
medicaid is not insurance, it is predatory lending by the state. they are entitled to recovery 100% of what they spend on a enrollyee's care.

Joe
FML.......I was never aware of that. Thanks for posting.

I have no experience or knowledge in Medicaid as we're not of that age, and my mother hasn't gotten it.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
larrydavis427
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Why weren’t the sisters taking care of their mother?

Undoubtedly, bureaucrats in charge of such affairs will make every effort to escalate costs associated with anyone who has property they perceive as vulnerable to seizure in these situations.
My wife's sister was running her mother's small estate in Marysville, Ca. She had issues, sometimes using her mother's Social Security and all of her mother's personal monies which was suppose to be for Nursing Home expenses, for her own purposes. The sister was the only person on her mother's will. Yet, my wife sent money from the East to help both her mother and her sister. Evidently the money did get to her mother. Since the sister had no money they came after my wife who lived in Maryland, with registered letters threatening to bring a lawsuit against us if we wouldn't come up the $60,000 and interest in nursing home debt. My wife contacted a lawyer and they forced the state to back down since she wasn't even on her mother's will. So the states turns around takes the house and sells it at auction.
larrydavis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Aceshigh
Smoked Another SBC

Oh wow.......

So if you're even on a WILL .....you could be held liable for your kin's debt obligations.
Unbelievable......I'll make sure I'm not in any WILL then.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Ricer 231
Smoked another BBC

Ahhhh the joy of getting old !!
Ricer 231 is offline   Reply With Quote