Ladder bar question - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Old 12-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Blownmope
Thread killa
Smoked Another SBC

Default Ladder bar question

If I have a car that has leaf springs in it now and want to convert to ladder bars, and I weld the bars to the diff where it is currently with the leaf springs is this doable? and secondly if I want to lower the car after this will it change the pinion angle?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
dbmx66
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Ladder bar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownmope View Post
If I have a car that has leaf springs in it now and want to convert to ladder bars, and I weld the bars to the diff where it is currently with the leaf springs is this doable? and secondly if I want to lower the car after this will it change the pinion angle?

Thanks!
are they regular ladder bars? or the ladder link bars (the ones with the adjustable piece on the bottom bar? either way, when you go to tack the brackets on the rear, try to get it as close as possible to correct pinion angle then tack the brackets on. after everything is welded and together it will be easier to adjust after its at your preferred ride height. basically so your not maxed out on the adjustment and still not at the right angle. when i did mine i adjusted the bars to the middle of the travel on the adjustable links. so i could go both ways if needed

as for setting it up where the leafs are now... thats how i did it with my truck originally, i set the chassis where it would be a ride height and went from there... as time went on i wanted to lower it more... alot more (like 6 inches more) i moved the ladder bar to the lowest hole on the front mount, even then the bars were lower in the front by a few inches, which isnt good (at least from the research i did)

i ended up cutting the front ladder bar crossmember back out and replaced it with a new one higher up in the chassis. now, at ride height where i want it, the lower bar of the ladder bar is parallel to the ground with the ladder bar in the middle hole on the front crossmember. when i put the new cross member in i went from 3 hole brackets to 5 hole brackets, just for more adjustment if needed, or if i needed to change the ride height for different tires.

hope this helps
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
coyote52
Smoked Another SBC

If you put ladder bars along with leaf springs..your going to have to have a "floater" on the axel tube, or a way for the sring to "slide" back and forth at the end. If you don't... you'll have an almost solid suspension. The ladder bar welded solid to the housing will not let the spring work up and down (very much).

Your pinion angle does change when you raise or lower the car.
coyote52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Blownmope
Thread killa
Smoked Another SBC

I am looking at converting from leafs to ladders and wondering if I should set the ride height and pinion angle prior to welding the ladder bars in.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
coyote52
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownmope View Post
I am looking at converting from leafs to ladders and wondering if I should set the ride height and pinion angle prior to welding the ladder bars in.

Thanks!
I misunderstood you, I thought you were keeping the leaf springs. Sounds like your going to coil overs.
Yes, get all that like you want...then weld your brackets on.
coyote52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Blownmope
Thread killa
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote52 View Post
I misunderstood you, I thought you were keeping the leaf springs. Sounds like your going to coil overs.
Yes, get all that like you want...then weld your brackets on.
Yup, thank you!