STEVE KINSER RETIRING - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #31
dunstditup
Launchin

Default Re: STEVE KINSER RETIRING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluteam View Post
Like many of the drivers in sprintcar racing, he is a genuine person. When he smiles, it's real. And when he's pissed, same thing. Had the pleasure of sitting in the Fresno airport in 2006 with my son, nobody around, and he walks up with his wife and asks if he can sit down at our table. Could have chosen any of the 20 other tables, but didn't. 2006 was the year he had the bad crash in IROC at Daytona and one of his eyes was black and blue and swollen shut. His wife had to tell him what was happening with the NASCAR race on the TV because he couldn't see that far.

He had just finished running the opening weekend of the NaST at Tulare where he won. But he had struggled in the race and I commented about the fact that after the red flag for a crash, he seemed to get it going better. He laughed and said it was because he couldn't see the track, but under the red flag his crew chief told him where he needed to run. I then asked him about his opinion on the very young drivers coming into the sport. He simply said "I don't mind as long as they stay out of the way."

I was never really a huge Steve Kinser fan, probably because he won all the time. But I always had respect for what he brought to the sport, and that day in Fresno he proved to me why he is the King of a sport that is blue collar down to Earth regular people. The sport is changing very fast, and there are drivers who live with the understanding that the fans matter still. I doubt anybody is going away because Kinser is retiring, but his departure is certainly going to leave a void. I cannot fathom the logistics of his souvenir sales over the next year. I'm thinking he'll be setting records long after his final race.

All Hail The King
very well said sir very good blog maybe you should start blogging everyday on YB lol
dunstditup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #32
roadking
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A05C View Post
I've had the privilege of watching him race at Eldora many times. Amazing driver. Congratulations on the very successful career.
watched him run all the kings royal races at eldora except one.was fortunate enough to also see his father,bob, race also.

best there is in traffic!
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
wannaz
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Sammy is a royal dick.
I had the pleasure of talking with Sammy after a night at the Knoxville nationals. He wasn't a "prick" to me, he did/does seem to be a little shy/nervous when it comes to fans, and the limelight.

I remember reading an interview with Steve Kinser in open wheel magazine. They were asking him about racing, and different drivers. They asked about Swindell, all Steve would say was "that man has ice water in his veins" basically no fear.

My favorite was Wolfgang, imo he wasn't fan friendly ever. Tried 2 nights in a row to get an autograph from the man, was in his pits literally within 5 minutes or less of the races ending, he vanished as soon as he got out of the car. Tried again the next year they went through my area, same results. Head to head in equal equipment imo, he was every bit as good as Kinser.

If you're bored check out the 1990 Knoxville nats on youtube. Wolfie started in the "D" main, and raced his way thru the "C" and "B" into the "A" main where he finished 5th.

Sad to see the end is near for Steve, definitely has to be at the top of the list as one of, if not the best sprint car drivers ever.
wannaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
ETChamp
Launchin

Sammy had fear in his eyes when Steve dotted them for him. After repeated on track run ins, Steve had enough and went after him and handled it.

It happened again and Bob told him "apparently you didnt hit him hard enough".
ETChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
AmericanMade
Burnout box

One of the nicest and most genuine person I've ever met. He can man-handle any car around any track in any condition!

The best, bar none!!!
AmericanMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
23Willys
Smoked Another SBC

The definition of driving the ragged edge, these guys have balls of steel driving on total reflex. That's a long career to drive like that.
23Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #37
jamesc
Smoked another BBC

this thread got me thinking of the greats....here is one of them

Rich Vogler

link to full size image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Vogler1986.jpg
In the initial post you stated that you were a asshole and here you claim to be a douche bag. Now did you progress from asshole to douche bag or are you still claiming both titles? It is getting confusing!!!
jamesc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #38
dieseldr4
Smoked Another SBC

Kinsers "bad" seasons are far ahead of what most peoples "really good" seasons will ever be... He is a legend for sure...
dieseldr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
Bluteam
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstditup View Post
very well said sir very good blog maybe you should start blogging everyday on YB lol
HA! Monty would yank my membership.

In regard to Sammy - heard the story many times of Kinser dotting Sammy's eyes and teaching him a lesson. I know first hand being accidentally caught between the two while walking back to the trailer after a race and I can say with all certainty that Sammy wasn't one bit afraid.

Some drivers handle the pressure of communicating better than others. I've talked to Sammy several times as well, both during the course of a race night and in a parking lot during the week, and he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most mild people you want to meet. But, his job is winning races. He can separate the two. Kinser had Karl and Gerkin. Sammy has always had Sammy.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #40
Sprint
Pre-Staged

Kinser is one Bad MOFO For sure. Just wish i had the privilege of watching a few more of his races
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #41
187z
BANNED
Smoked Another SBC

The Kinser family is good people. I have been involved in engine/parts transactions with them. They would rather scrap a set of TIT rods, then sell them. Then they will show you the flaws.

Ask me how I learned about Indiana dry counties on a sunday.