mickey thompson sport pro tires? any good - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
mickleft
Spooled up

Default mickey thompson sport pro tires? any good

11second bracket car, size 33x21.5-15 bias ply, dot legal and 2ply wrinkle wall. This is the size already on the car and I see some dry rot. Hardly any choices in this size.
mickleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
chevydude
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: mickey thompson sport pro tires? any good

How wide is the rim???you don't need that size if its a bracket car! Put a slick on it or ET Street!!!! its probably a 16" wide wheel!! on a 11 sec car that tire is way too big anyway! for the sake of the wheel just put a 16X33 ET Street on it because you're probably concerned with how it looks in the wheel wells! If not then I'd put the Shortest and smallest tire on it you can get away with If you don't want to change wheels.. I.E. if its a bracket car the tire that came on the car is no good for racing period anyway! It's a hard deep tread street tire who's main purpose is road use not track!! Them tires are junk don't replace them with the same thing!!!
The Ultimate budget build!!Ford makes it, Chevy shakes it...86 Coupe S/S, BBC Powered 10 to1 489ci very mild..615/.620 flat tapped cam,(Procomp heads)850 alky carb, Powerglide, 4.10's 9" tire.best to date= 1.331 60' & 6.053 @ 112mph 1/8th, Has been 9.90's In the quarter but have not run the quarter since figuring out some issues, Car & motor built by me, Build cost of entire car Just under $5000.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kJaN3fgNl1k Still sorting!
chevydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

My buddy has a 1969 Camaro and it hooks good with the Sportsman Pro. Another friend had a 11.50-11.80 car with Sportsman Pro tires and went to ET Street and gained nothing. With that being said, I would go with the ET Street. I really like them as a street strip tire, although don't drive in the rain as they are a cheater slick and driving in the fall the the leaf's off the tree's are as bad as water
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
1Gary
Smoked another BBC

Just can't tell ya the number of Pro-Street cars I've seen with well over sized tires that "look" good,but turn the car into a real turd.

Under construction
1Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
mickleft
Spooled up

Why would it be a "turd"? 4:54 gears in a 9inch.coan pg with transbrake. These tires are dot with a soft compound. Ladder bar setup with qa1 in back and qa1 up front. engine sbc 470 hp with 465ft/lbs tq, hyd roller, forged crank, rods, pistons ,afr heads, arp studs. Are they turds due to poor setup (gears, wrong torq, conv) etc... Thanks for the input!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
russ67chevelle
Smoked another BBC

Pro sportsman tires don't hook as well. As noted et streets much better
russ67chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
1Gary
Smoked another BBC

Thumbs down Re: mickey thompson sport pro tires? any good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickleft View Post
Why would it be a "turd"? 4:54 gears in a 9inch.coan pg with transbrake. These tires are dot with a soft compound. Ladder bar setup with qa1 in back and qa1 up front. engine sbc 470 hp with 465ft/lbs tq, hyd roller, forged crank, rods, pistons ,afr heads, arp studs. Are they turds due to poor setup (gears, wrong torq, conv) etc... Thanks for the input!
Well if I gotta explain it guess there is no hope.............

Under construction
1Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
bykr
Smoked another BBC

They're good for car shows
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
mickleft
Spooled up

Thanks for the help. But your response sheds little hope for yourself, 1Gary.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Chris Van
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude View Post
How wide is the rim???you don't need that size if its a bracket car! Put a slick on it or ET Street!!!! its probably a 16" wide wheel!! on a 11 sec car that tire is way too big anyway! for the sake of the wheel just put a 16X33 ET Street on it because you're probably concerned with how it looks in the wheel wells! If not then I'd put the Shortest and smallest tire on it you can get away with If you don't want to change wheels.. I.E. if its a bracket car the tire that came on the car is no good for racing period anyway! It's a hard deep tread street tire who's main purpose is road use not track!! Them tires are junk don't replace them with the same thing!!!
Any hard core bracket racer could tell you that it's better to have too much tire. I know this is getting off subject here but one of the number one rules of consistency in bracket racing is to put the biggest, dumbest, fattest tire that you can possibly put on the car.
Weekly bracket tracks are not prepped like the tracks are prepped when the heads up small tire guys are in town. And a bracket car needs to dead hook every time, pass after pass. NOT try to knock the earth off it's axis on a 275 radial.
But back to the subject. Like others have said, an ET Street would work much better at the track but only about half of the life on the street as a sportsman pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTHECRANK View Post
This is the Bullet, where you are guilty until proven innocent. That's just the way it is.

http://www.miawings.com/
Chris Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
mickleft
Spooled up

Thank you for the excellent response. I have heard that there is no such thing as too much traction.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
russ67chevelle
Smoked another BBC

U want a car show tire, get a sportsman. U want it to race get a slick or a cheater slick. I don't think Gary was being a dick, he was stating a fact
russ67chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
chevydude
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Van View Post
Any hard core bracket racer could tell you that it's better to have too much tire. I know this is getting off subject here but one of the number one rules of consistency in bracket racing is to put the biggest, dumbest, fattest tire that you can possibly put on the car.
Weekly bracket tracks are not prepped like the tracks are prepped when the heads up small tire guys are in town. And a bracket car needs to dead hook every time, pass after pass. NOT try to knock the earth off it's axis on a 275 radial.
But back to the subject. Like others have said, an ET Street would work much better at the track but only about half of the life on the street as a sportsman pro.
Uhhmmm....All I do is bracket race for over 23 years now!! own a dragster and a door car...for an 11 sec car tubbed car a 16" wide slick is over kill and actually slowing the car down!! yes it'll be consistent! but it would be Just as consistent on a 12" wide slick too! He don't have no horsepower so I'd doubt that traction will be an issue unless they don't prep the track where he races at all!! If I can hook a 9" tire 9 second Bracket car consistently @ 1.35 60's! Then that big ole 18 inch wide slick he's trying to run will damn near want to shut his car off at the line!! What the OP wants is to hear that what he's thinking is OK! he got some good advice and took it out of context! 14x32 is plenty of tire for an 11 sec car....putting a funny car tire on a 11 sec car is ridiculous and a waste of a tire!! when I was 16 my first bracket car ran 11's and had a 16.5x33.5 on the car when I got it rolling...for my little motor and the wheel that was on the car..I put 14x32's on ! I think you misunderstood what I was saying there champ!! if he finds a tire to fit that wheel it's still gonna be a big tire!! Get it! It's only an 11 sec car!!

The Ultimate budget build!!Ford makes it, Chevy shakes it...86 Coupe S/S, BBC Powered 10 to1 489ci very mild..615/.620 flat tapped cam,(Procomp heads)850 alky carb, Powerglide, 4.10's 9" tire.best to date= 1.331 60' & 6.053 @ 112mph 1/8th, Has been 9.90's In the quarter but have not run the quarter since figuring out some issues, Car & motor built by me, Build cost of entire car Just under $5000.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kJaN3fgNl1k Still sorting!
chevydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
bracketchev1221
Pullin gears

Just note, that a street tire like the sportsman pro is measured sidewall to sidewall. Not tread width like a drag slick. So, you could put a slick on it like the 1408 Goodyear, at 16X32. Or the Hoosier 14.5WX32 and they would look the same as the tires you have. I have run both on my car with a 15" rim.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
mickleft
Spooled up

If I want more speed I would put more cam in it probably a solid roller,different gears,nitrous ....etc. I just want it to be consistent. Just want to have fun and be reasonably competitive. By the way the local track is known to suffer in the traction area. Sold my nine second car last year. Brought this roller dirt cheap and it was already tubbed and now I am putting it together with stuff sitting around the shop. I realize this car has too much tire and will slow me down a bit but I don't care. As long as it hooks up I'm happy. Sold nine second car for $20.000, paid some medical bills from the kids and I am still racing. I feel lucky to still race. Always looking at the big picture.