Need help with airless paint sprayer! - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
dart69bigblock
Pre-Staged

Default Need help with airless paint sprayer!

Does anyone know anything about airless paint sprayers? A few years ago I bought a used Sherwin Williams SW419 Xcell Series sprayer. It is a Graco sprayer that Sherwin Williams put there name on. It worked great when I painted my house. I cleaned it out and stored it for the past several years with some pump saver stuff in it. Went to use it the other day at a buddy's house and it wouldn't work right. It wouldn't hold a prime and when it did it would lose pressure as soon as you sprayed.
We tore it apart to what we were comfortable with and it is full of old dried up paint. We cleaned it out real good and it seemed to work better but every now and then it would lose prime and we would have to stop spraying for a second and it would build back up. A few guys I have talked to said check the seals on the piston. Does anyone have experience with these that might have some advice? I tried finding a diagram online but didn't couldn't find a repair diagram or a parts list. I think if I could get a parts list of the seals I am sure I could pull it back apart and replace the seals. It's gonna be around $200 to have the local Sherwin Williams fix it and that's about what I paid for it. I don't paint for a living so it's not like I'm gonna make my money back. This is just something I used at my house and maybe a friend or relative will use. Thanks in advance.
Chris
dart69bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
rattletrap
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Need help with airless paint sprayer!

There are two check valves with little steel balls that get stuck. One is in the bottom of pump and the other is in the piston rod where the packings are. Tap it good with a hammer around the bottom and it should unstick the ball. Try priming as you tap it. There are no seals on piston, just three nylon and two leather packings.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
rattletrap
Smoked another BBC

Now that I think about it, there is a rubber seal on the piston too, but that don't have anything to do with your problem. Only if paint is leaking everywhere!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
dart69bigblock
Pre-Staged

When we pulled the pump apart one check ball was stuck. I got that freed up and made sure the other one wad too. I scraped a bunch of old dried paint out if there too. Would it hurt the pump if I ran some thinner or mineral spirits through the pump and lines to break up any old paint that might be on the check ball seats?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
ebarns
Smoked another BBC

be careful with mixing latex or water with solvent can lock them suckers up
ebarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
rattletrap
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dart69bigblock View Post
When we pulled the pump apart one check ball was stuck. I got that freed up and made sure the other one wad too. I scraped a bunch of old dried paint out if there too. Would it hurt the pump if I ran some thinner or mineral spirits through the pump and lines to break up any old paint that might be on the check ball seats?
Just use water and let it run on prime a few minutes. They say not too, (but I do) just let the pump run without gun or line hooked up and see if that helps.
Was the gun filter all gunked up after painting some?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
dart69bigblock
Pre-Staged

Thanks for the help guys. The gun and pump filters were dirty when we first started. I pulled both out and cleaned em up before trying it again. I didn't check them after painting because I left before my buddy finished up. I'll have to chem them tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
dscott
Pullin gears

When you get it going and store it for next time, clean it out real good and then put the stinger in a little motor oil and let it do a few cycles. this will keep the seals and check balls working.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
rattletrap
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dart69bigblock View Post
Thanks for the help guys. The gun and pump filters were dirty when we first started. I pulled both out and cleaned em up before trying it again. I didn't check them after painting because I left before my buddy finished up. I'll have to chem them tomorrow.
Ok, if the pump or line has loose paint in it, it will show up at the gun filter. Also if packings are worn it won't hold prime either. A packing kit is around 50-70 bucks, if you can still get one for that pump!

Forgot to add if the cylinder walls are scratched it will cause problems too because it will tear packings. Look for any pieces of leather in the gun filter. I like mineral spirits left in them better than pump saver, because it keeps stuff liberated too!

Last edited by rattletrap; 09-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.
rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote