Anyone have experience with ultralight planes? - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #31
stonedzee1
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Anyone have experience with ultralight planes?

Know a guy that crashed one and is still alive, but was pretty busted up and has a lot of pins and plates now.
stonedzee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

crazy people that fly those things are not too far off base from the guy that tightrope walks over a canyon

dragracers are generally considered as being a little bit more sensible....!!!!
ordinary builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Location: Orlando, then Alamogordo, NM, Manchester, TN and back to Orlando!!!!

I'm your Huckleberry!!

The Topfun part of my screen name is from my Ultralight flying days in the 80's. Right after the movie Top Gun came out, I coined the nickname "Top Fun" for myself.

I've was trained pilot as a pilot in the USAF and have a multi-engine, commercial, instrument pilot license rating but virtually the only thing I've flown in the last 30 years has been ultralights. I have a Condor, one of the original design ultralights that is a virtually copy of the Eippers that were probably the best selling ultralights ever made. Their design is basic and if built and maintained right can be flown for hundreds if not thousands of hours.

My Condor is a heavy 2 seat model, have probably 2000+ hours flying it and have literally taken hundreds of passengers up with me flying. I have also rebuilt it several times and modified it to make it stronger and more durable. Being a Mechanical Engineer and a "hot rodder" I just applied those skills to keeping it flying and making it work better.

Here's what you need to keep in mind. Flying ultralights is like driving a very fast race car - it's all about managing and mitigating risks. And sometimes it's also a question of keeping your cool when something "bad" happens and not panic. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with a inflight "problem" and have been fortunate to always make the right decision that allowed me to land safely.

The best flying and also the most difficult flying I've done is with floats. Floats make an ultralight heavy and with a 2 seater, it is very heavy. Then add a passenger and you have to really manage your altitude and airspeed carefully. I used to fly out of an area just south of Miami Florida. It was normal for me on Saturdays and Sundays to tie 6-8 5 gallon containers of gas on top of the floats and fly 20 miles to Biscayne Bay. Once there, I would unload the cans of extra gas at a strategic location (sometimes I would simply leave them in the Mangroves) then fly around and find people who wanted to go flying for 5 minutes ($20). I would have to go back to my cans and fill up the ultralights tank every hour or so. After doing this for all day I would return at dusk with a bunch of empty cans.

Did I have engine failures? Hell yes! Probably 40-50+ during the last 30 years. Was it ever a serious problem? Not really. Every time I got in that Ultralight I kept one rule on my mind - this thing is trying to kill me whenever it is up in the air. Primary rule was this - never, ever fly anywhere at anytime where you can not have an engine failure and safely land the Ultralight. They do glide but their glide ratio is so poor that those I have taught to fly (yes, I gave flying lessons) have been told this: When the engine quits, look down between your legs for a place to glide to. It may be a place to the left, right or even behind you slightly, but the rule is that you have to push the nose over pretty far to maintain enough airspeed to glide. Plus, as you are approaching your "emergency landing spot" you have to have even more airspeed to rotate and break your rate of descent (level off). Once you bring the nose up on an Ultralight, it bleeds off airspeed FAST. That actually helps if you know what you're doing - it will slow down quickly allowing a safe landing in a tight spot. I have landed engine out on water with floats, on land with floats and on land with wheels. The worst and most unforgiving engine out landing is with floats and 2 people on board - there is a small envelope of correct nose down angles that will give you the speed you need to rotate and land without having a "sink rate" when you actually touch down.

Weather is probably a dangerous part of it too but the truth is, you can usually avoid it with just a little judgment. With that said, I once was flying across open water across Biscayne Bay towards home and flew into what I thought was a regular rain storm (yes, I flew in rain regularly). After flying through it for a few minutes, I realized that it was actually a developing thunderstorm. Oooppsss.

I really had no choice but to keep going - if I landed in open water with wind gusts up to 50 mph, the ultralight could flip over. I didn't consider it flipping over a life threatening event, but it would mess up my ultralight badly. I couldn't see more than 100-200 feet in front of me but I was flying down on top of the water at an altitude of 2-3 feet and was able to navigate by watching the direction of the waves. I eventually spotted a spit island (an exposed coral reef) and landed next to it and tied up to some boulders until the storm passed. Interesting experience but not the most hair raising one I had.

I could go on for pages with some of the stories I have from flying Ultralights but this is YB and the members have limited attention spans unless there are pictures of nude women involved.

I will say this, it's the most fun I've ever had but also the most dangerous. I still would rather take my chances flying the ultralight over riding a motorcycle. Chances are a little old lady in a Buick isn't going to pull in front of me and kill me while I'm flying.

PS - Yes, I know several people that have been killed flying Ultralights. Most were not using good judgement at the time. Primarily, flying outside of the aircrafts capabilities and not flying over an area with a safe engine out landing zone.

NMRA 2014 Bradenton True Street Shootout Winner - Best ET 8.34 at 163mph
NMRA 2013 Bradenton TS & Shootout Winner - 8.67 avg - driven 800 miles to track
NMRA 2012 Bradenton TS Winner - 8.93 avg - driven 2000 miles to track

Thanks to:
TURBO BY GARRETT
HALTECH
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires
Kris Starnes - Kris Starnes Racing

EMAIL - RoadTripRacer@aol.com

Last edited by Topfun99; 06-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
ranger
Pullin gears

Usually see a few Widows with them for sale cheap!
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #35
jimmylauri
Smoked another BBC

Stay away from them! Another guy died on one the other day. Fuckin motorized lawn dart. Jimmy
Take your automatic and Stick It! 72 ss nova. 385 sbc. afr210. Lunati M.roller. 5spd Richmond. Long Shifted. Smith Race Craft Round Tube Chrome moly front clip. THE BEGINNING OF ANY END IS THE BEGINNING.
jimmylauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
mach9
Smoked another BBC

My brother and a friend used to own one together, a 2 seater. I flew with him a couple of times and it was a blast. But I ONLY went a couple of times because I always got the feeling that wasn't a matter of if, but when. He had to put it down twice. Once when the prop drive belt shredded because the original builder didn't have the pulleys aligned right. Second time a wind storm came out of nowhere and almost took him out. First time is funny looking back on it now. I was just getting home from work that afternoon, and just as I was ready to turn onto my driveway, I see my uncle's rollback coming down the road with an airplane on the back. LOL. I knew immediately whose it was. I think he eventually decided third time might not come out so well, so they sold it. I enjoyed riding in it. But I was glad to see it go. Good luck and have fun if you do get one.

Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
https://www.facebook.com/NCslottracks?ref=hl

mach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #37
mondtster
Spooled up

How many times do I have to say this, any aircraft with two seats in it is not an ultralight! They fall in the light sport category and require a license to operate.

Read the rules guys, a true part 103 ultralight has only one seat and weighs less than 254 pounds. They can't hold more than 5 gallons of fuel and can't go faster than 55 knots.

http://www.usppa.org/Resources/FARs/part103_far.htm

So, does the OP really want to know about ultralights or light sport aircraft? There's a big difference even though a lot of people don't seem to think so.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
How many times do I have to say this, any aircraft with two seats in it is not an ultralight! They fall in the light sport category and require a license to operate.

Read the rules guys, a true part 103 ultralight has only one seat and weighs less than 254 pounds. They can't hold more than 5 gallons of fuel and can't go faster than 55 knots.

http://www.usppa.org/Resources/FARs/part103_far.htm

So, does the OP really want to know about ultralights or light sport aircraft? There's a big difference even though a lot of people don't seem to think so.
Ultralights with 2 seats are still ultralights. For many years ultralights with 2 seats were legally operated at ultralights through an exemption granted for giving instruction. That is the "legal" part of being a 2 seat ultralight.

Even if you weren't technically "legal", there were many 1 and 2 seat ultralights out there that had virtually the same flying characteristics at the "legal" versions. They flew low and slow and were fun. Because of their weight 2 seat ultralights can be less forgiving and require more judgment to fly safely.

Thanks to:
TURBO BY GARRETT
HALTECH
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires

Last edited by Topfun99; 06-29-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

so,

with them two seaters...

does the couple that is flying them,

look deep into each others eyes just before the fuckin thing hits the ground....??

or does one say to the other..

....." you fucker ",..
Old 06-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
MercilessMike
Smoked Another SBC

GO HERE .... and every ? you have can and will be answered . AWESOME TIME and Education.

http://www.airventure.org/aviationshow/general.html

http://www.sportpilot.org/

https://secure.eaa.org/apps/joinrenew/join.aspx?sc=219
MercilessMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary builder View Post
so,

with them two seaters...

does the couple that is flying them,

look deep into each others eyes just before the fuckin thing hits the ground....??

or does one say to the other..

....." you fucker ",..
You're attitude towards flying ultralights is appropriate. It's always good to be fearful of things that are difficult and will place your life in jeopardy when it exceeds your capabilities.

To quote Dirty Harry:

"A man's got to know his limitations......"

Thanks to:
TURBO BY GARRETT
HALTECH
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #42
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

there was a time in my life that i made my living driving race cars that hit / ran into walls or got banged around by other race cars...

but i drew the line on going up in light craft after the first experience years ago......

as you say, it takes a SPECIAL TYPE of person......

....a bit of a crazy person may I say...

Old 06-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #43
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

I HAVE hang glided... quite a number of times....

so it is not about fear of flight or lofting..
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary builder View Post
I HAVE hang glided... quite a number of times....

so it is not about fear of flight or lofting..
Fine, allow me to rephrase.

It's always good to be avoid things that are difficult and will place your life in jeopardy when it exceeds your capabilities.

I've always been the first person to tell others that it's not an activity for the general public. It requires a lot of skills and abilities that are not well defined. If you have the right attitude, skills, ability and use good judgment, you can have a lot of fun and survive. If you have good judgment and lack any of the other qualities, it's best to watch others fly ultralights.

Thanks to:
TURBO BY GARRETT
HALTECH
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
PTC
M/T Tires

Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #45
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

so

YOU ARE A SPECIALLY TALENTED PERSON....

may be viewed as "specially crazy" to some... I DUNNO....

...I do not need to do this sort of thing again....