Obamacare and the Self Employed .. Plan for Increases - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Political Corner

The Political Corner We will hash out political, religious and current events in this section.... Keep it constructive when posting!!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
ctownflyer
Smoked Another SBC

Default Obamacare and the Self Employed .. Plan for Increases

Remember, we were told the costs have to go up before they go down .... and of course you can keep your plan and your doctor if you like them.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha. And there are jackasses on this board who defend this catastrophe.

http://news.yahoo.com/yourself-obama...224018064.html

If You Work for Yourself, What Will Obamacare Mean for You?

When she was 32, Wendy Drabick opened her own IT and accounting consulting business and started paying health insurance premiums for herself and her family, now a hefty $1,100 every month. That’s about $10,000 more each year than she’d be paying if she worked for a large employer who paid most of the premium. Drabick isn’t complaining, but she would like to know if her premium will go up under the Affordable Care Act (ACA, also known as Obamacare), and if so, how much. Nearly all Americans will need dto have coverage, many through state marketplaces, beginning January 1, 2014.

As the sign-up period looms—everyone can start enrolling for insurance on October 1, 2013—millions are anxious to know what the plans will cost, but people who are self-employed or run a small business have a particular concern, says Katie Vlietstra, director of government affairs at the National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE), in Washington, D.C. “Self-employed people typically purchase more catastrophic and high-deductible plans”—meaning plans that offer the bare minimum of coverage, and only for extreme medical situations—because those are more affordable, says Vlietstra. This group may be trying to figure out how to budget their insurance costs for the remaining months of 2013, until coverage under Obamacare kicks in.

Five states have announced their new health-insurance premium rates and in all but one the rates are higher than what people pay now.

Unfortunately, there’s not enough information yet to let them do that. Only five states, including Oregon and Maryland, have announced their premium rates, and all of those, excepting Oregon, will be posting higher premiums than their residents generally pay now. Vlietstra says the increases tend to be about 2 to 5 percent, except for Maryland, where it could be as high as 25 percent, depending on the plan chosen. Insurers say the rate increases are due to the new “essential benefits” most health insurance policies will have to include as part of the ACA, such as maternity and mental health coverage. While the rates can be hard to swallow, the new benefits will be important to many. Substance abuse treatment, for example, will be a required benefit; about one-third of current health plans don’t cover that now.

Vlietstra says that if you’re self-employed you ought to become an educated consumer by reading up on the coming changes at healthcare.gov, the government’s website devoted to the ACA. “Hopefully, we’ll have more information on cost within the next 30 days,” says Vlietstra. “With self-employed people planning now for 2014, I recommend they plan for a 15 percent increase and peel back if that doesn’t become a reality.”

Plan for a 15 percent increase in your health-insurance premium, says one self-employment expert.

She thinks the self-employed ought to plan a little aggressively in this area—even overplan—so that when they discover how much they’ll need to pay for coverage, they have budgeted for it. NASE is currently developing questions for the Department of Health and Human Services (which oversees the implementation of Obamacare) and will put the agency’s responses on their website within the next month or so, they hope. Among other questions, the NASE hopes to soon find out definitively how much coverage will cost for those who are self-employed and how secure the data will be for determining eligibility for tax credits and assistance with premiums (the IRS and HHS will share data on that).
There’s also a chance—although slim—for some tax relief on health insurance costs down the road for the self-employed. For the 2012 tax year, people who worked for themselves were allowed to deduct health insurance as a business expense, but that was only applicable last year and is not currently part of the ACA’s rules. With 22 million self-employed people, Vlietstra says it’s an issue the NASE has raised again and there is a bill pending in the House of Representatives to reinstate this deduction.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
cletus66
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Obamacare and the Self Employed .. Plan for Increases

Damn !!! Your tinfoil is showing. You need to go to the http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/ .

Last edited by cletus66; 05-24-2013 at 11:50 PM.
cletus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
MaxFlow
YB Liar and Chief
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Remember, we were told the costs have to go up before they go down .... and of course you can keep your plan and your doctor if you like them.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha. And there are jackasses on this board who defend this catastrophe.

http://news.yahoo.com/yourself-obama...224018064.html

If You Work for Yourself, What Will Obamacare Mean for You?

When she was 32, Wendy Drabick opened her own IT and accounting consulting business and started paying health insurance premiums for herself and her family, now a hefty $1,100 every month. That’s about $10,000 more each year than she’d be paying if she worked for a large employer who paid most of the premium. Drabick isn’t complaining, but she would like to know if her premium will go up under the Affordable Care Act (ACA, also known as Obamacare), and if so, how much. Nearly all Americans will need dto have coverage, many through state marketplaces, beginning January 1, 2014.

As the sign-up period looms—everyone can start enrolling for insurance on October 1, 2013—millions are anxious to know what the plans will cost, but people who are self-employed or run a small business have a particular concern, says Katie Vlietstra, director of government affairs at the National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE), in Washington, D.C. “Self-employed people typically purchase more catastrophic and high-deductible plans”—meaning plans that offer the bare minimum of coverage, and only for extreme medical situations—because those are more affordable, says Vlietstra. This group may be trying to figure out how to budget their insurance costs for the remaining months of 2013, until coverage under Obamacare kicks in.

Five states have announced their new health-insurance premium rates and in all but one the rates are higher than what people pay now.

Unfortunately, there’s not enough information yet to let them do that. Only five states, including Oregon and Maryland, have announced their premium rates, and all of those, excepting Oregon, will be posting higher premiums than their residents generally pay now. Vlietstra says the increases tend to be about 2 to 5 percent, except for Maryland, where it could be as high as 25 percent, depending on the plan chosen. Insurers say the rate increases are due to the new “essential benefits” most health insurance policies will have to include as part of the ACA, such as maternity and mental health coverage. While the rates can be hard to swallow, the new benefits will be important to many. Substance abuse treatment, for example, will be a required benefit; about one-third of current health plans don’t cover that now.

Vlietstra says that if you’re self-employed you ought to become an educated consumer by reading up on the coming changes at healthcare.gov, the government’s website devoted to the ACA. “Hopefully, we’ll have more information on cost within the next 30 days,” says Vlietstra. “With self-employed people planning now for 2014, I recommend they plan for a 15 percent increase and peel back if that doesn’t become a reality.”

Plan for a 15 percent increase in your health-insurance premium, says one self-employment expert.

She thinks the self-employed ought to plan a little aggressively in this area—even overplan—so that when they discover how much they’ll need to pay for coverage, they have budgeted for it. NASE is currently developing questions for the Department of Health and Human Services (which oversees the implementation of Obamacare) and will put the agency’s responses on their website within the next month or so, they hope. Among other questions, the NASE hopes to soon find out definitively how much coverage will cost for those who are self-employed and how secure the data will be for determining eligibility for tax credits and assistance with premiums (the IRS and HHS will share data on that).
There’s also a chance—although slim—for some tax relief on health insurance costs down the road for the self-employed. For the 2012 tax year, people who worked for themselves were allowed to deduct health insurance as a business expense, but that was only applicable last year and is not currently part of the ACA’s rules. With 22 million self-employed people, Vlietstra says it’s an issue the NASE has raised again and there is a bill pending in the House of Representatives to reinstate this deduction.
How is it a premium increase when you are buying better coverage? You want to buy a Cadillac with a Yugo price tag?

Joe
MaxFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
LSWon02Z28
Smoked another BBC

Funny... My small business group plan renewal is for July... Got the rates Friday, 17.2% increase over last year, and last year was a 16.8% increase... How is the ACA helping me????

5.13@138 Ultra Street
Special Thanks to:
Ron @ Rhodes Custom Auto, Race Proven Motorsports, BES Racing Engines, Induction Solutions, RPM Transmissions
LSWon02Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
kwhizz
Smoked another BBC

The only thing Obama is good at is being a Muslim Faggot!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
ctownflyer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Damn !!! Your tinfoil is showing. You need to go to the http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/ .
Not tinfoil. Most of us figured this out 2 years ago when the language in the bill was interpreted.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
ctownflyer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlow View Post
How is it a premium increase when you are buying better coverage? You want to buy a Cadillac with a Yugo price tag?
You are being FORCED to buy a "better" plan. I realize a moron like you with limited, if any, intelligence and ability to think for himself needs to be constantly led by the hand by his Messiah but the productive members of society DON'T.

Clearly you are against freedom and liberty and the ability to pick and choose what plan fits the individual.

Carry on with your blinded, moronic, senseless blather.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
10secgoal
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
There is no want for a caddilac. They want, and have been paying for a yugo. They are being forced to buy a cadillac. That is an increase.
10secgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
ctownflyer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
There is no want for a caddilac. They want, and have been paying for a yugo. They are being forced to buy a cadillac. That is an increase.
You can't expect a bottom feeder to understand basic concepts.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Brad54
Chasing my tail
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
If you can only afford a Yugo, but the government forces you to buy a Caddy, you don't consider that additional money out of your pocket?

Tell you what-- since you're so hip on this new health care boondoggle, you can pay the difference of what I'm paying now for me and my son, as a self-employed business owner, and what I'll be paying for this Cadillac coverage.

Shoot me your address in a PM and I'll get the ball rolling. How about we set it up as a direct debit from your account?

-Brad
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
MaxFlow
YB Liar and Chief
Smoked Another SBC

If you souls wouldn't go into these ER's and run up these damn big bills you want to pay $5 a year on you wouldn't have this problem. I would be glad to pay the difference in your insurance premium because I probably already did every time I paid one of my medical bills.

You going to pay me back sometime soon I hope?

Joe
MaxFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
10secgoal
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I would be glad to pay the difference in your insurance premium because I probably already did every time I paid one of my medical bills.
consider it saving for your cadillac.
10secgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Big T Racer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
What a fuckin retard!!
Big T Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Big T Racer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
If you souls wouldn't go into these ER's and run up these damn big bills you want to pay $5 a year on you wouldn't have this problem. I would be glad to pay the difference in your insurance premium because I probably already did every time I paid one of my medical bills.

So you think people are rushing to the ER just for the fun of it?? Its the illegals that are running up the bills!! and we have to pay for their shit, and all their fucking snot nosed kids.
Big T Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
Jimmy Biggs
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

I raised my family with no health insurance ......... it was really simple when I went to the hospital or Doctor I wrote a check ....... I guess I wasn't that smart I didn't know I didn't have to pay
Jimmy Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote