Zero Turn mower- Help me Pick (Exmark Quest S or Hustler Sport) - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

Default Zero Turn mower- Help me Pick (Exmark Quest S or Hustler Sport)

These are the two models I have narrowed it down to, based on price, and local dealer/support.

Exmark Quest S-Series 50"

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Defau...wer&Type=Specs

Hustler Sport 54"

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/sport.html

They are both about $4,300, locally. The hustler is winning so far, based on the deck width. For my needs, both would work.

Anyone have any personal experience with any of these?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

There are only two States: Texas and not Texas
skosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
TooLateVTEC
'MURICA, FUCK YEA
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Zero Turn mower- Help me Pick (Exmark Quest S or Hustler Sport)

No help at all, but I love my Toro 50"/24HP and I will NEVER use a regular riding mower again as long as I have the choice, LOL.

Side note, I see more Exmark commercial users here in my area than the Hustler. Not saying they're better, just letting you know what I see.

This place knows everything about everything, im sure you'll get some responses soon. If not, bump it up tonight when most people are off of work.

Good luck on your purchase

Last edited by TooLateVTEC; 04-16-2013 at 04:45 PM.
TooLateVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
TURBOSNOOP
Launchin

Bobcat
Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
ducnut
Spooled up

I have a '04 Hustler FasTrak 42" w/Honda GXV530 engine. It pre-dates the Sport that you're looking at. It has 220hrs on it (I can't believe the hourmeter to be accurate). Warranty has taken care of one deck spindle (I hit a property stake) and the drive belt (it simply came apart at the seam). I've had to replace one idler pulley on my own (my frequent washing probably contributed to the bearing failure). I have zero complaints and wouldn't buy anything but a Hustler. They were the first zero turn mower (1964?). They've been at it a long time. I've used mine in, both, residential and municipal settings and am trying for an annual contract. If I get it, I'll be upgrading to an X-One or Super-Z w/60" deck.

The smaller, 18" tires of the Sport have a tendency to spin easier versus the larger mowers, because of less traction. The narrower track of the drive tires exerts less leverage on the length of the mower, which means it'll spin the tires easier than the larger mowers, when turning. It's nothing major. But, if you plan to sidehill the mower, you'll want a wider chassis with larger diameter tires. The smaller diameter tires ride rougher, too. I run mine at 7psi and have a lot of Slime in them.

When I bought mine, I primarily compared to eXmark. The biggest difference was that the Hustler was more finished and, at that time, the eXmark was built on a much larger chassis with the smallest deck being a 54". The Hustler dealer is blocks away and the eXmark dealer is 50min away. At that time, eXmark built Toro's chassis and Toro made their own deck, which was stamped. Never buy a stamped deck as the material is much thinner at every contour and will bend/fatigue much easier. The above mentioned Bobcat has a bolt together chassis. Never buy a bolted chassis, as it doesn't have near the strength of a welded chassis.

The eXmark Quest looks to be closer to the Hustler Raptor, based on engines versus deck size.

If I were looking at all three mowers, I'd go with the Sport and 54" deck. The 54" deck will give you 6" of trim width on the left side. That's a huge deal. I wouldn't want all the plastic body crap of the Raptor or Quest. If you search the lawncare forums, you'll see that Hustler gets the highest marks for quality of cut. My neighbors can vouch for that as my lawn never has windrows of cut grass, no matter how tall it is when I mow it. The municipal property I mow is routinely 1' high and my mower goes right through it, at 5-1/2" deck height. I keep an extra set of belts and blades, just in case something happens over a weekend or when I'm in the middle of nowhere mowing.

Lastly, I wouldn't consider any other brands than what you're looking at. I think you'll be happy with either mower. Dealer satisfaction should be just as big of factor as the mowers.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
elle
Smoked Another SBC

Bobcat Fastcat Pro
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
5.0fox
Smoked another BBC

I work on the hustlers and they're really a good mower for the money. Nice simple set up with a fabbed deck. Just worked on an old sport with a briggs, been through hell and back. Still worked well and cut flat. I was hopin hed trade it in. Id love to own one.
5.0fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
25-5
HeadCaseRacing
Smoked Another SBC

Hustler Sport 54
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
KWIK84
Smoked another BBC

Hustler all of the way, I done some consulting for them a few years back and their shop isn't really that big, but they turn out some of the best mowers around.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
FX4Aaron
Spooled up

I'm not a big fan of residential Zs, but of the two options I would go with the Hustler. The Hustler has the better ZT-2800 Hydro-Gear transmission.
FX4Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
RSNovi
Launchin

I just bought a Hustler Fastrak 48". There was a $750 rebate putting it at $4999.
RSNovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
dunstditup
Launchin

what about the 60in bad boy any of yall know anything about the mower 60in is 4900 dols is it good or bad mower ,thanks
dunstditup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
RSNovi
Launchin

The same parent company of Hustler owns Bad Boy. I have never owned one, but when I was doing research on mine the bad boy seemed like a lower cost unit.
RSNovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
BButkus51
Spooled up

I have a 48" Huster Sport with a Honda. Love it. No regrets at all.

2011 Chevy Silverado HD D/A
BButkus51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
jfarnsley
Burnout box

i bought the hustler fasttrack 54" last year and love it only complaint i have is i wish it had the easy clean deck system like the john deer
jfarnsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

Thanks guys. Looks like it will be the Hustler. We have about 2 acres to mow and it is more like a pasture than a yard. We have a gravel road that runs through part of the yard, so the mowing transitions from grass to grass/gravel mix and old, cheap mowers that we always used just would not hold up over time. There are no inclines to worry about, but it does get a little rough in some areas.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

There are only two States: Texas and not Texas
skosler is offline   Reply With Quote