Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The story of 5 Generations of Automotive Excellence

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sixtieskid 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the past few weeks I have been slowly gathering information to put together the story of my family’s involvement in the automotive industry dating back to 1909. I have always found it extremely fascinating, and between my grandfathers own account in addition to numerous news articles and photos, I have pieced together a pretty good story to share. We still operate today out of Westfield MA as Fenton Leasing. If you like what you see here and would like to be kept up to date with information, photos, as well as our general inventory and offers, I encourage you to like us on Facebook to help spread the word!

www.facebook.com/FentonLeasing

This is essentially the basics of the story. I am finding more and more information every day, and as I acquire more pictures, details and etc I will be updating our new Facebook page.

Thanks for looking, and I hope to pass this story on to as many outlets as I can reach. It really is remarkable to have this type of timeline and be able to share I hope you enjoy...

(Mr and Mrs Fenton, Founders)

1909-
My great great grandfather William H. Fenton was a mechanic for the V&A Railroad. During his time as a tech he came across the opportunity to purchase the family’s first car, a 1909 Knox. It’s been said that he acquired the Knox in trade for a horse and carriage, a watch with my great great grandmother’s (Catherine Isabel Fenton) photo inside, and 50.00. Upon his arrival home with his new vehicle, the first thing Mrs. Fenton asked was if he had retrieved her photo from the watch (which he admitted he had not).

Roughly 6 months later, my great great grandmother Mrs. Fenton sold the vehicle over her kitchen counter for a 300.00 profit. This first sale laid the groundwork for Mrs. Fenton to become a pioneer of the automotive industry. She is generally accepted as the first female auto dealer in the US, and she has been honored in the Automotive Hall of Fame for her accomplishments.

1913-
C.I. Fenton’s business was quickly outgrowing her kitchen table. Due to local state legislation at the time, the man of the house was only allowed one job, which is why Mrs. Fenton handled the automotive dealings, also proving to be quite proficient. In 1913, The Fenton family purchased a barn in West Springfield MA to store their ever growing inventory of used cars.

1917-
Business was booming. Come 1917, Mrs. Fenton became a subsidiary of the Reopell Chevrolet Dealership (widely known as one of the oldest Chevrolet dealerships in New England). In addition to her new business arrangement, Catherine opened the C.I. Fenton showroom in Springfield, MA where she had a variety of new and used vehicles. The slogan for her company became “See I. Fenton for a good car!”

1922-
Mrs. Fenton was now operating as a full fledged Chevrolet Dealer, earning the title of the first female auto dealer in the US. While she was not a Feminist of the times, she maintained her femininity which gained her much respect among the men of the industry.

1930’s
On what Mrs. Fenton described as the “Eve of the Great Depression,” she purchased a new building to host her franchise in Westfield, MA. With her Husband William by her side, they opened the W.H. Fenton Co. Mrs. Fenton held pride in the fact she maintained a full payroll during these difficult times, and she was very popular for keeping customers on the books and in their cars, even if they were only able to scrounge up 50 cents. Mr. and Mrs. Fenton understood that the times were difficult, but they knew the depression couldn't last forever. It was this form of customer service as well as personal connection which allowed their business to flourish.

Late 1940’s
In addition to the Chevrolet franchise, Mrs. Fenton picked up the Oldsmobile line of products which she also offered from the same facility.

1950’s Photos of the Business and Vehicles

Original location of 70 Main Street Westfield MA

1953 Bel Air donated to Westfield Public Schools Drivers Ed

WJF Jr The Current owner with his 1955 Bel Air

WJF Sr and Jr

Catherine Isabel Fenton was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame’s Automobile Old Timers Club. She maintained membership card number 47, and sat among the industries greatest such as Henry Ford and Louis Chevrolet.

1970’s
C.I. Fenton retired from the automotive industry, leaving the business to her Son and Grandson William J. Fenton Sr. and Jr. The Father son-duo continued to sell Oldsmobiles and Chevrolets until they phased out of new car business but retained the leasing, rental, and used car divisions.

1980’s to today…
My Grandfather continued to work side by side with his father for many years. Together they purchased a new location only about a mile down the road from their original Dealership. Today we still operate from the same location founded so many years ago. My involvement with my grandfather makes me the fifth generation to take part in this industry. We are still selling cars today with the same compassion and customer service that my family offered in 1909.

Our slogan “Big enough to serve you, small enough to know you,” truly rings true today.

See less See more
#6 ·
I couldnt agree more! I grew up in the wrong generation lol.

The photos actually are scanned slides. They were taken with a 3D Stereo Realist camera by my great grandfather. I still have the slides, and when you view them through the "Viewer" the depth and 3D is amazing. The scans don't do them justice!

#9 ·
That truly is a great story. I can see why you are so proud

Thanks for sharing your family history with us,,,TLW

#12 ·
Thank you for the interest guys. I have a call in to the Automotive Hall of Fame to see what other documents I can dig up, and I have a lot more photos to scan in. I will try and keep the story updated there is a lot more cool info that I have yet to include, and the Facebook page is brand new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.