Holley Efi Help - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
90notch3
Pre-Staged

Default Holley Efi Help

Hey i just got the itch to drive my car the other day. its a ford 302 with the new holley hp efi on it. when its cold and i first start it up it fires right up but until it warms up it idle surges for a good 5-10 mins. anyone know where i should be looking to fix this? also does anyone have a good starting base for the p and a idle air control settings? any help would be great thanks
90notch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Derek@Holley
Spooled up

Default Re: Holley Efi Help

is it a naturally aspirated combo? What is the target A/f ratio at idle? Have you tried to add/subtract small increments of fuel at idle when at operating temp? What is the CL comp doing at idle? More information must be shared in order to assist with your issue. Thanks - Derek
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
90notch3
Pre-Staged

Currently it's naturally aspirated my target air fuel is 14 but when it's cold is when it idle surges as soon as it warms up it stops the computer dosent adjust web it's cold
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90notch3 View Post
...but when it's cold is when it idle surges. As soon as it warms up it stops. The computer doesn't adjust web it's cold.
Why isn't it in Closed Loop while warming up (cold)?

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Danny Cabral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
90notch3
Pre-Staged

I believe it is in closed loop but it dosent learn until its warmed up
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I believe it is in closed loop but it doesn't learn until its warmed up
It's not supposed to Learn until the engine is fully warmed up.
But the Closed loop Compensation should still be correcting AFR, even when cold.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
90notch3
Pre-Staged

Ok now do I have to make the changes with the closed loop compensation or does it automatically change??
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
OK, now do I have to make the changes with the closed loop compensation or does it automatically change??
The Closed Loop Compensation Limits % , should be "automatically" working to prevent an excessively lean or rich condition (as long as the Target A/F Ratio Table and the A/F Ratio Offset Table is programmed good enough). A good tuner will datalog the entire event and "tune" the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table, so the ECU isn't adding or subtracting too much fuel.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
90notch3
Pre-Staged

Ok I'm still very new at all this how do I properly tune the target af ratio and the af ratio offset table
Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
90notch3
Pre-Staged

Or do u recommend just data logging it an tryin to adjust the coolant enrichment table
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Ok, I'm still very new at all this. How do I properly tune the target a/f ratio and the a/f ratio offset table?
The Target A/F Ratio Table isn't necessarily a "tuning" table, if you know your engine's optimum air/fuel ratio. The same applies for the A/F Ratio Offset Table. (The base maps are pretty good.)

The Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table is an actual "tuning" table. Datalog an entire cold start to hot engine cycle, and look at the "CL Comp" channel. Adjust (tune) this table according to the percentage added or subtracted.

Quote:
Or do you recommend just data logging it, and trying to adjust the coolant enrichment table?
Yes, I'd definitely datalog it and do this first. Again, the base maps are pretty good, so this may be all that's necessary. Some EFI tables are "programming" tables and others are "tuning" tables.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
freezy74
Smoked another BBC

I can just tell you my car does that if its to fat. Personally I would pull some fuel out of it in that area....
freezy306@aol.com
freezy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
64duece
Pullin gears

Double check the base fuel map at your higher idle (cold) and make sure it s reasonably smooth in that area. Sometimes a cell or two too much fuel is enough to.make it surge and it may go away when the idle speed drops....therefore not requiring any coolant mod adjustments.

Visit us at mooreracecraft.com

609.820.5660 or racecraft@comcast.net
64duece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Danny Cabral
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64duece View Post
Double check the base fuel map at your higher idle (cold) and make sure it s reasonably smooth in that area.
Yes, the modifier tables can only be tuned after the Learning has self-tuned the Fuel Table.
When "Transferring Data To Base", enter the Fuel Graph and blend (smooth) everything in.