Why do so many men no longer work? - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
AChotrod
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Why do so many men no longer work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sancho View Post
false statement.
How so?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
The Manalishi
Banned...Four Times
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sancho View Post
false statement.
Hate to break it to you, in some parts of the country that is a very valid statement. Not everywhere of course.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
ea1
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChotrod View Post
Because women and illegal Mexicans are stealing the jobs men once did. Simple there is not enough jobs and if someone is providing for you its the same as men providing for their families for thousands of years.
I actually think TECHNOLOGY, mainly the internet, has stolen jobs from Americans. There used to be an infrastructure of jobs in this country to deliver goods and services. How many jobs have been replaced by amazon.com? How many video stores have closed up shop due to netflix, etc?

I think we are truly at a critical point in our history. Where we need to stop asking ourselves IF we can make something, but SHOULD be make something.

With the advances in robotics, I have no doubt in 50 years, there will be robots that will be able to do 50% of the jobs in this country. That is a very bad scenario. Where will everyone work?

Nathan Munson
ea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
Espresso
coffee extraordinaire
Smoked Another SBC

computer programmers, it techs etc work for themselves & most stay off the grid. fuck 401k's & retirement plans. Straight to the bank & universal currency. It happens a lot more than people know.

I know a lot of people that pay cash for everything. No loans, no credit no credit checks. You want it..pull the money out of your account or investments & buy it.
Accountants are awesome these days.

Almost ALL the money these days is in something with the internet. If you make a game for android & charge $2 for it & it gets dl'ed 600,000 times...... that is just ONE app. Plus people write & new publishing laws makes it all digital, hardly no publishing fee's(about 10% total). Short stories sell for $3-4 & all you do it post it on amazon & profit.

You can literally make your own money these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1 View Post
I would imagine that truly self employed would be included, as they pay self employment tax into the system just as a regular employee would.

The investment thing makes sense, but I dont think that is a very large percentage of the population. I mean over 80 percent of day traders actually lose money.

-Tom

'01 740i Sport
Espresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #20
Big_Business
Pullin gears

Lazy phuckers

ROLL TIDE ROLL
Big_Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #21
GT 350
didn't make it to 30 k
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I actually think TECHNOLOGY, mainly the internet, has stolen jobs from Americans. There used to be an infrastructure of jobs in this country to deliver goods and services. How many jobs have been replaced by amazon.com? How many video stores have closed up shop due to netflix, etc?

I think we are truly at a critical point in our history. Where we need to stop asking ourselves IF we can make something, but SHOULD be make something.

With the advances in robotics, I have no doubt in 50 years, there will be robots that will be able to do 50% of the jobs in this country. That is a very bad scenario. Where will everyone work?
At quik mart duh
GT 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #22
ea1
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10PSI GT View Post
There are some "men" in this life who have had bad luck,such as myself.I'm unemployed,not by choice.I was let go while I was on medical leave because of a dislocated shoulder. I bust my @ss every day lookin for work.Yes some people are lazy,but whatever you do,dont try to judge what most people are doing in a graph,because thats hardly telling you the whole story.

This wasn't meant as an attack on any individual by any means. I was just wondering what other people take on this is. I know the job market is shit. I have recently, for the first time since opening my doors in 1992, had to let someone go due to lack of business. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. Also had to restructure my remaining personnel's pay from straight pay, to a base + commission type of deal. Hated doing that too. But when, compared to 7 years ago, sales are down 2/3rds, but every expense I have now is higher than then, something has to give.

I have no doubt our economy is shit, but I was looking mainly at the steady decline since the 50s.

Nathan Munson

Last edited by ea1; 01-22-2013 at 01:10 AM.
ea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #23
66shovel
white trash honky mofo
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChotrod View Post
Because women and illegal Mexicans are stealing the jobs men once did. Simple there is not enough jobs and if someone is providing for you its the same as men providing for their families for thousands of years.
as fucked up as this sounds i think it may hold some water
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
The Manalishi
Banned...Four Times
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
This wasn't meant as an attack on any individual by any means. I was just wondering what other people take on this is. I know the job market is shit. I have recently, for the first time since opening my doors in 1992, had to let someone go due to lack of business. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. Also had to restructure my remaining personnel's pay from straight pay, to a base + commission type of deal. Hated doing that too. But when, compared to 7 years ago, sales are down 2/3rds, but every expense I have now is higher than then, something has to give.

I have no doubt our economy is shit, but I was looking mainly at the steady decline since the 50s.
The average unemployment time is almost one year now, I can not be convinced there enough lazy folks to skew the numbers that far. Are there lazy folks unemployed sure, but are their numbers truly large enough to throw the numbers that far off, I truly doubt that.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
AChotrod
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

I agree with this also. Many many skilled labor jobs have been replaced with technology but the ones that havent are not as available as they once were. For instance Im a manager for a flooring company and 99.9% of our installers are Mexicans making huge money a year and paying their illegal helpers cash. As for women, just look at all of them in important positions that were all previously all men. Doctors, lawyers, accountants,Managers, Sales the list goes on and on. Hell in the 50s you would never find women working at the gas station let alone be your doctor.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
mrsbadbird
Jesus Built My Hotrod.
Smoked another BBC

Quote:

This guy has a point. People are being replaced by automation...when's the last time you tried to call a support line or something and had to fight with your phone to talk to a real person?

My parents refuse to use the self-checkout line at grocery stores because they say they're replacing a person who could have a job. It's a bit extreme to most but we have to admit that it makes sense.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
El Sancho
Smoked Another SBC

Automation is the present and future direction for manufacturing jobs. These jobs were once very desireable, but the current trend is to try and land a government job. Too many men turn their noses up at hard, physical jobs that do not rely as much on automation. That is the niche illegals fill.

We have become too complacent and reliant on our easy way of life. The problem is not as much an illegal problem as it is a work ethic problem. Don't forget all the jobs that are being outsourced to other countries as well.
El Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #28
4DRUSH
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 350 View Post
I busted my ass when i was young.
Put my wife threw school to become a nurse
Now that we have kids i stay at home because she works 3 days a week
I work by appointment only now
Hope this helps
Pretty much my story also
4DRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #29
AChotrod
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbadbird View Post
This guy has a point. People are being replaced by automation...when's the last time you tried to call a support line or something and had to fight with your phone to talk to a real person?

My parents refuse to use the self-checkout line at grocery stores because they say they're replacing a person who could have a job. It's a bit extreme to most but we have to admit that it makes sense.
I do the same thing. I hate self checkout.

BTW Im not saying women shouldnt have work but it does take away the availability of good jobs for men to find work. Either way someone is working.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #30
TEDM
Life is Grand
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Just like the title says. I was reading up on the labor force in the US, trying to get a better understand of the different measures of unemployement (U1, U6, etc) and this graph just bothered me.

The black line shows a total (both genders) participation rate in the 60% range, where it has hovered since the 1940s according to this graph.

My problem is the male participation rate. In 1950 it has the male rate in the high 80s, but now it is in the very low 70s.

Is it people staying home with kids? Are we less able to work for some reason? Or are we as a society just lazier than back then? What do you think.
Deindustrializing of America and the freebies pushed by the current United States government.